Dual nationals may have to pay nearly £600 for a 'certificate of entitlement' to enter the UK under new Home Office rules
Share this @internewscast.com

New regulations concerning passports might prevent British children born overseas from entering the UK starting next week.

For the first time, dual citizens, including infants and children, will be required to present a passport when traveling to Britain via flights, ferries, or trains. Alternatively, they can purchase a ‘certificate of entitlement’ for £589.

These new border rules are set to be implemented next Wednesday, sparking criticism from Britons living abroad who feel unprepared for this sudden change.

Children born outside the UK to a British parent are automatically granted dual citizenship, which cannot be renounced until they reach the age of 18.

However, to enter the UK, they will now need to either obtain a British passport or pay the £589 fee for a ‘certificate of entitlement’.

The updated requirements for dual citizens in Britain are part of the Home Office’s new Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) initiative.

Under the new rules, visitors from nations that did not previously need visas to travel to Britain will have to obtain ETAs before coming over – including Canada and France.

And there will be knock-on effects for British dual citizens, it has also been warned. 

Dual nationals may have to pay nearly £600 for a 'certificate of entitlement' to enter the UK under new Home Office rules

Dual nationals may have to pay nearly £600 for a ‘certificate of entitlement’ to enter the UK under new Home Office rules 

Britons fear they could be left 'stranded' when the new rules come into force next week

Britons fear they could be left ‘stranded’ when the new rules come into force next week

Anyone travelling to the UK must prove permission to enter – with airline, ferry and train firms able to deny boarding if not given the correct documents.

The changes that come into force from next Wednesday, February 25, stipulate that dual citizenship Britons have to present a valid UK passport or certificate of entitlement when arriving in the country.

That is because British and Irish citizens are exempt from ETAs which permit people from overrseas to pay £16 to visit the UK for up to six months. 

In the past they would have been able to travel with non-British passports and using other documents to back up their citizenship if necessary.

Dual nationals include UK-born people who have acquired nationality from another country, those who naturalised or registered as British later in life and people who have been dual nationals since birth.

The Home Office’s new rules mean a British couple’s 10-month-old baby could be ‘turned back at the border’ when they depart for New Zealand in two weeks.  

His grandmother told The Times: ‘We’ve sent off an application with all the documentation requested but have received a reply saying “you need to send his NZ passport as well”. 

‘We’re not going to do that because then he certainly won’t be able to travel, with no passport at all.’

The family has tried to get through to the Home Office – but they ‘don’t have lines that deal with this’. 

The grandmother added they have also been to the High Commission in New Zealand but were ‘told to go away’ because ‘they don’t deal with this’. 

In other case, Rebecca Witham lives in France with her son who only holds a French passport. 

She fears the new rules could stop families visiting the UK, which she described as ‘discrimination’ that would ‘affect millions’ of British citizens with dual nationality. 

Ms Witham added that the added cost of £589 per person means families could no longer visit the UK where they are ‘legal citizens’.  

Elsewhere, James, a British-Italian born and educated in London, had booked a flight for a business trip to New York last week, departing on Friday, but now fears he could be stranded because he returns after the new rules come into force. 

He has never had a British passport but was previously able to travel freely for his job with an Italian one. 

James told The Guardian: ‘I found myself having to travel at short notice and am now facing the idea that I may not be allowed back into the country.’ 

Asked whether would pay the £589 fee, he said the weeks-long backlog makes it impossible to get a certificate of entitlement before Friday.

A Home Office spokesperson said: ‘From 25 February 2026, all dual British citizens will need to present either a valid British passport or certificate of entitlement to avoid delays at the border.’ 

They said the move was part of a programme to introduce a ‘seamless travel experience’, adding that the rules would give the Government ‘greater power to stop those who pose a threat from setting foot in the country and gives us a fuller picture of immigration’.

It comes after Sir Jim Ratcliffe last week said the UK had been ‘colonised by immigrants’. 

In an interview with Sky News, the billionaire Manchester United co-owner claimed the population of the UK had increased by 12million in six years, from 58million in 2020 to 70million today. 

He was forced to apologise for his comments, with the Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer saying his comments were ‘offensive and wrong’. 

Backtracking on his remarks, Sir Jim said he was ‘sorry that my choice of language has offended some people in the UK and Europe’.

Earlier this month it emerged that the total number of small boat migrants to have reached the UK under Sir Keir’s administration had passed 66,000. 

More migrants have arrived during his time in Downing Street than under any other prime minister, overtaking the previous high of 65,811 under Boris Johnson.

The record under Sir Keir has been reached in just over 19 months, compared with three years under Mr Johnson. 

WHAT ARE THE NEW PASSPORT RULES? 

From February 25, visitors to the UK will need an Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA).

Those without an ETA will not be able to board their flight, ferry or train.

British and Irish citizens, including dual nationals, are exempt from this requirement, but they will have to meet other requirements.

In order to travel to the UK, dual nationals will now need a valid British passport.

Alternatively, they can pay £589 for a certificate of entitlement to attach to their second nationality passport.

Dual nationals have previously been able to enter the UK using their non-British passport without cost.

They could face complications if they do try to enter the UK using only a foreign passport could face complications.

British citizens have a statutory right of abode in the UK, but travellers might be subject to additional checks while their status is verified.

They could also be stopped from boarding if they cannot prove their right of entry.

The Government announced the rules last year, but some dual nationals have said the changes were been brought in at short notice and were poorly communicated.

There are fears that holidays or work trips could be affected if people cannot get a passport or certificate of entitlement in time.

ETAs have been brought in as part of a wider plans for a ‘more streamlined, digital immigration system’ which the Government hopes will be faster and more secure for the millions of people who pass through the UK border each year.

It is a digital permission to travel – it is not a visa or a tax and only authorises a person to travel to the UK.

Ministers say the the introduction of ETAs is in line with the approach many other countries have taken to border security, including the US and Australia.

An ETA currently costs £16 and permits multiple journeys to the UK for stays of up to six months at a time over two years.

There are plans to increase the cost to £20 in the future.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Name Revealed: Court Lifts Suppression Order on Alleged Invasion Day Bomber

A Perth magistrate has lifted the anonymity of a man accused of…

Groundbreaking Research Unveils ‘Systemic’ Racism Within Australian Universities

In Brief A landmark study of more than 76,000 students and staff…
Opposition Leader Angus Taylor has unveiled his new shadow ministry this afternoon, bringing back the Nationals and exiled members.

New Opposition Leader Revamps Shadow Ministry with Major Promotions and Strategic Returns

Angus Taylor, the Opposition Leader, has introduced his revamped shadow ministry, re-integrating…
Health insurance hike to 'push many households to the edge'

Impending Health Insurance Increase Poised to Strain Household Budgets

Australians are about to be hit with the largest average price hike…
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…

Tilda Swinton and Javier Bardem Lead Stars in Criticizing Berlin Film Festival’s Silence on Gaza Crisis

In brief Many signatories to the letter are artists who have presented…

Sydney Eases Protest Restrictions Following Two-Month Enforcement Period

In brief NSW Police commissioner Mal Lanyon said he was satisfied there…
The grassfire is burning beside the Western Ring Road in Ardeer.

Intense Fires Ignite Along Key Melbourne Route Amid Severe Conditions

A grassfire is burning along a major road in Melbourne’s western suburbs,…

Iran-US Nuclear Negotiations: Breakthrough in Guiding Principles, Yet Deal Remains Elusive

In brief A US official said Iran would make detailed proposals in…
SA Police has released the first picture of missing 4-year-old boy Gus Lamont.

Authorities Conduct Thorough Search of Outhouse and Nearby Tank at Sheep Station in Ongoing Investigation for Missing Person Gus

Today, major crime investigators were observed examining a water tank and an…
Reverend Jesse Jackson dead at 84

Reverend Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

The Reverend Jesse Louis Jackson, the towering civil rights leader whose moral…