Share this @internewscast.com

Key Points
  • Suicide bombing at Damascus church kills 20 in first major attack since the Assad regime was toppled.
  • Syria’s interior ministry blamed a member of the Islamic State group for the attack.
  • Attack shows the IS group remains a threat despite years of counterterrorism and territorial losses.
At least 20 people were killed and dozens injured when a suicide bomber blew himself up at the Mar Elias Church in the Dweila neighbourhood of Syria’s capital Damascus, health authorities and security sources said.
It was the first suicide bombing in Damascus since Bashar al-Assad was toppled by an Islamist-led rebel insurgency in December.
Syria’s interior ministry said the suicide bomber was a member of the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS) group. He entered the church on Sunday, opened fire and then detonated his explosive vest, a ministry statement said.
A security source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said two men were involved in the attack, including the one who blew himself up.

The IS group has tried numerous times to attack churches in Syria following Assad’s demise, yet this marks their first successful attempt, according to another security official who spoke to Reuters news agency.

Syria’s state news agency cited the health ministry as saying 52 people were also injured in the blast.
A livestream from the site by Syria’s civil defence, the White Helmets, showed scenes of destruction from inside the church, including a bloodied floor and shattered pews and masonry.

Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, who spearheaded the campaign against Assad before assuming leadership in January during a transitional period, has consistently assured the protection of minorities.

“We unequivocally condemn the abhorrent terrorist suicide bombing at the Mar Elias Greek Orthodox Church in Damascus, Syria,” the Greek foreign ministry said in a statement.
“We demand that the Syrian transitional authorities take immediate action to hold those involved accountable and implement measures to guarantee the safety of Christian communities and all religious groups, allowing them to live without fear.”
The IS group had previously targeted religious minorities, including a major attack on Shiite pilgrims in Sayeda Zainab in 2016 — one of the most notorious bombings during Assad’s rule.
The latest assault underscores the group’s continued ability to exploit security gaps despite the collapse of its territorial control and years of counterterrorism efforts.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…

Trump Criticizes Biden’s Vetting Process Following Tragic Death of National Guard Member in Washington Shooting

One of the two national guard members shot near the White House…
Trump to pardon Honduran president's drug trafficking sentence

Breaking News: Trump Set to Pardon Honduran President in Major Drug Trafficking Case

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…
Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze

Miraculous Escape: Survivor Shares Harrowing Tale from Devastating Hong Kong Fire

Just after 3 p.m., William Li received a startling call from his…
Jetstar

Airbus Recall Grounds Jetstar Flights, Leading to Long Passenger Queues

Jetstar flights across the country are facing disruptions, with delays and cancellations…

Airbus A320 Recall Alert: Key Details and Implications for Airlines and Passengers

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…

Olympia’s Maggot Farms in Australia Tackle $36 Billion Global Challenge

With food waste driving a measurable share of Australia’s emissions, efforts to…