Share this @internewscast.com
Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s Castle Peak, and recovery crews have now successfully retrieved all the bodies, officials reported yesterday. The rescue operation, already a daunting task, was further complicated by relentless snowfall over the past few days.
The search team managed to locate eight victims initially, with the ninth skier, who had been missing and presumed deceased since the avalanche struck on Tuesday, being found later. This final discovery was made in proximity to the other victims, explained Nevada County Sheriff’s Lt. Dennis Hack. He noted that the severe white-out conditions on Tuesday had obscured visibility, making it impossible to detect the last skier at that time.
During a press briefing, Nevada County Sheriff Shannon Moon commended the extraordinary collaboration among multiple agencies involved in the recovery efforts. She particularly highlighted the dedication of the 42 volunteers who played a crucial role on the operation’s final day.
“In this mountain community, we are fortunate to be closely bonded, and our community never hesitates to come together in the face of tragedy,” Sheriff Moon remarked.
For the first time, authorities released the names of the three guides from the Blackbird Mountain Company who were among those killed. They were identified as Andrew Alissandratos, 34, Nicole Choo, 42, and Michael Henry, 30.
The sheriff named for the first time on Saturday the three guides for the Blackbird Mountain Company who were killed in the avalanche. They are Andrew Alissandratos, 34, Nicole Choo, 42, and Michael Henry, 30.
Alissandratos was originally from Tampa, Florida, but moved to Tahoe about a decade ago, according to his biography on the guide website, Blackbird Mountain Company.
He enjoyed a wide array of adventure, like split-boarding and rock climbing.
Henry moved to Colorado in 2016, and then to Truckee three years later, the site said. He is described as âlaid backâ and eager to share his knowledge and love of the mountains with others.
There was no bio for Choo on the website on Saturday.
âThis was an enormous tragedy, and the saddest event our team has ever experienced,” Blackbird Mountain Guides founder Zeb Blais wrote in a statement on Wednesday.
âWe are doing what we can to support the families who lost so much, and the members of our team who lost treasured friends and colleagues.”
The six others killed were women who were part of a close-knit group of friends who were experienced backcountry skiers and knew how to navigate the wilderness of Californiaâs Sierra Nevada, their families said on Thursday.
Two of the friends got out alive and were rescued along with four others, including one guide, after Tuesdayâs avalanche.
âWe are devastated beyond words,â the families said in a statement released through a spokesperson.
âOur focus right now is supporting our children through this incredible tragedy and honouring the lives of these extraordinary women. They were all mothers, wives and friends, all of whom connected through the love of the outdoors.â
The six killed lived in the Bay Area, Idaho and near Lake Tahoe.
They are Carrie Atkin, Liz Clabaugh, Danielle Keatley, Kate Morse, Caroline Sekar and Kate Vitt, the families said, asking for privacy as they grieve. They added that they âhave many unanswered questions.â They were all in their 40s.
Stuck on the mountain for hours
The tragedy began about 11:30 am on Tuesday when six survivors called for help, describing a sudden and terrifying avalanche that was approximately the length of a football field.
In the aftermath of the snowfall, those survivors had discovered the bodies of three deceased skiers nearby, according to Hack.
It was the last day of the three-day tour in the stunning and remote Sierra Nevada, and the group of 15 skiers decided to end the trip early to avoid the impending snowstorm.
There were 11 skiers and four guides.
Officials described the path that the group was taking as a ânormally travelled routeâ but declined to specify what that meant.
Initial reports indicated that at least two people in the group did not get swept away, Hack said.
The others were standing separately and relatively close together and were hit with the avalanche.
Hack declined to offer more information about what might have set off the avalanche.
First responders weren’t able to reach them until roughly six hours after the initial call for help, Hack said, and were forced to take two separate paths.
The rescue teams also found the bodies of five others, leaving only one unaccounted for.
But it was immediately clear to rescuers that it was too dangerous to extract the bodies of the victims at that time due to the heavy snowfall and threat of more avalanches.
Those conditions persisted on Wednesday and Thursday, as the families of victims waited for the bad weather to abate.
Officials used two helicopters belonging to the California Highway Patrol, with the help of Pacific Gas and Electric company, to break up the snow in the area to intentionally release unstable snowpack to reduce the risk of another avalanche for rescue crews.
The state highway agency was able to recover five victims that evening before it got too dark to access the last three.
Helicopters with the California National Guard and California Highway Patrol recovered the final four bodies yesterday morning with helicopters by hoisting them from the mountain with ropes, fighting through severe winds that forced the agencies to make multiple trips.
The bodies were then taken to nearby snowcats â trucks that are outfitted to be able to drive on snow.
âWe cannot say enough how tremendously sorry we are for the families that has been affected by this avalanche,â Moon said.
Land will reopen in March
The area will be closed to visitors until mid-March, said Chris Feutrier, the forest supervisor for the Tahoe National Forest.
But he said that officials fully intended on restoring public access as soon as the investigation is complete.
âThis is the publicâs land, and they love to recreate on it,â Feutrier said.
âThe Forest Service doesnât close public land for every hazard or every obstacle. We trust the American people to use their best judgment when recreating.â