US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say
Share this @internewscast.com
The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend, though President Donald Trump has yet to make a final decision on whether he’ll authorise such actions, sources familiar with the matter tell CNN.

The White House has received updates indicating that the military could be poised for an operation as early as this weekend, following a notable increase in air and naval forces in the Middle East, according to sources.

However, one insider noted that Trump has expressed conflicting views on military engagement, oscillating between support and opposition, while seeking advice from his advisors and allies. It remains uncertain whether he will reach a decision by the weekend.

The USS Gerald R Ford could be heading to the Middle East. (AP)

“He is dedicating considerable thought to this matter,” one source mentioned.

In Geneva earlier this week, Iranian and US negotiators engaged in indirect discussions, exchanging notes for three and a half hours without achieving a definitive outcome. Iran’s chief negotiator mentioned that both parties had concurred on a “set of guiding principles,” although an American representative noted, “there are still many details to resolve.”

Donald Trump has retreated on his ambitions for Greenland.
US President Donald Trump has not yet made a final decision. (AP)

Today, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt stated that Iran is anticipated to elaborate on its negotiating stance “in the coming weeks,” though she did not confirm whether Trump would delay military action during this period.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is slated to visit Israel on February 28 to confer with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and provide an update on the Iran negotiations, as per a State Department official speaking to CNN.

“I’m not going to set deadlines on behalf of the president of the United States,” Leavitt said.

Israel has also raised its alert level. (Getty)

She added that while “diplomacy is always his first option,” military action remains on the table.

“There’s many reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran,” she said, adding Trump was relying on counsel from his national security team “first and foremost.”

The opaque statements have fueled increasing fears of military conflict between the two nations – even as officials ostensibly hold out hope for diplomacy.

In this photo released by the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, left, is welcomed by an unidentified Omani official, center, upon his arrival at Muscat, Oman, for negotiations with U.S. Mideast envoy Steve Witkoff, as Iranian Ambassador to Oman Mousa Farhang walks at right, May 11, 2025.
Iranian and US officials held indirect talks in Oman. (AP)

The USS Gerald Ford – the most advanced carrier group in the US arsenal – could arrive in the region as soon as this weekend, after a flurry of other military buildup.

US Air Force assets based in the UK, including refuelling tankers and fighter jets, are being repositioned closer to the Middle East, according to sources familiar with the movements.

For its part, Iran is fortifying several of its nuclear facilities, using concrete and large amounts of soil to bury key sites amid US military pressure, according to new satellite imagery and analysis from the Institute for Science and International Security.

A number of calendar events could play a role in the timing of an attack. The Winter Olympics – traditionally a moment of global unity – conclude on Sunday; some European officials said they believed no strike would occur before then.

A number of factors could influence an attack. (AP)

Meanwhile, Ramadan began Wednesday; some officials from US allies in the Middle East – which have lobbied against an attack, fearing regional destabilisation – said an attack during the Muslim holy month would convey American disrespect.

And Trump is delivering his annual State of the Union address on Tuesday; aides have said it was likely to act as a kickoff for Trump’s mid-term year message on domestic issues. It wasn’t clear whether the president was taking any of those events into account as he weighs his options.

Trump, in his statements on Iran over the past weeks, has done little to gain buy-in from the American public or Congress for a large military operation in the country. He has hinted at a desire for regime change, and insisted Iran not obtain a nuclear weapon, but has not said what precisely his objectives would be in ordering an attack.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
24 cats were taken from the woman, who is not allowed to be in the care of more than five felines.

Victorian Property Raid Uncovers Dozens of Animals in Distress: Serial Cruelty Offender Under Investigation

A serial animal cruelty offender, who a court found has been abusing…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…