Bali officials warn tourists of crime as security ramps up across the island

Bali remains one of the region’s most in-demand holiday spots, welcoming just over one million international visitors in March alone — up 10.50 per cent compared with the same month last year.

Australians made up a significant share of those arrivals, with 130,720 visiting the island during the month, according to Indonesia’s Central Statistics Agency (BPS).

As visitor numbers continue to climb during the busy travel period, authorities have urged tourists to stay alert to theft, while increasing street patrols and monitoring in areas considered more vulnerable to crime across the province.

Local reports indicate that bag snatching remains one of the most frequently reported theft-related crimes targeting visitors.

Offenders are said to ride motorbikes through popular nighttime walking areas, waiting for opportunities to strike when tourists are distracted or isolated.

The warning follows an incident involving a female tourist who was mugged in Uluwatu, a coastal area near Bingin Beach.

CCTV footage reportedly shows the woman walking alone through Pecatu Village on the evening of June 28 when a motorcyclist approached from behind and grabbed her bag, according to The Bali Sun.

The alleged thief is said to have pulled the woman to the ground before taking the bag, returning to the motorcycle and fleeing the scene.

“The South Kuta Police have moved quickly by deploying a complete small unit team (UKL) to conduct inspections at the crime scene (TKP) and gather initial information in the field.”

The head of the Public Relations Section of Denpasar Police, Iptu I Gede Adi Saputra Jaya, said.

Tourists are advised to travel by taxi where possible at night and to leave valuables securely at their accommodation.

Samantha, an Aussie content creator who regularly posts Bali travel content, has warned that thefts are “really bad” at the moment.

“If you’re coming to Bali anytime soon there is one thing you need be aware of,” she began the clip.

She said while the island is her “favourite place of planet” with “so much to offer”, the one thing “causing many problems” at the moment is phone and jewellery snatchings.

“It’s really, really bad at the moment, I am not going to lie,” Samantha, who lives in Bali. warned.

“I’ve had so many of my local friends warn me.”

She explained after getting a massage at night in Seminyak recently, a staffer asked her if she was planning on walking home, to which Samantha responded, yes.

“She’s like ‘not a good idea’,” adding the phone snatching and necklace pulling (from around the neck) has been “really, really bad”.

Samantha explained two friends had their necklaces pulled off from their necks in Canggu, while another had her phone snatched from her hand while walking along the footpath.

“If you’re walking along the side of the road I recommend having [your phone] in your bag but not having your bag roadside,” she advised.

“So having it on the opposite arm and if you have a chain, tucking it in (your clothes) and not having it visible.

“It’s such a shame this is happening and a lot of it are not locals – it’s people that have come over committing these crimes.”

She warned Aussies it’s something be weary before visiting the hotspot, adding “there’s nothing worse than not having your phone in Bali”.

According to The Bali Sun, police and security teams are aware of the thefts and are working to crack down on crimes against tourists across the board.

Angus Kidman, travel expert at Finder, said travel insurance can cover you for a stolen phone or wallet, but that won’t always be the case with cheaper policies, “so check the terms carefully before signing up”.

“Once you have found suitable insurance, make sure you store your policy details somewhere other than your phone – get a printout and leave details with family,” Mr Kidman told news.com.au.

“And make sure you report the theft to local police and keep notes of when and where you did that.”

Tourists can report a crime or contact the emergency services in Bali on 110. Switchboard operators are available in English.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Alleged Killer Nick Reiner Seeks Access to Trust Fund in Court Request

Nick Reiner, the 32-year-old son of Rob and Michele Reiner who is…

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey Mocked Over Awkward Dancing at Minnesota State Fair

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey became the target of online mockery after a…

Hayden Panettiere’s Final Instagram Post Resurfaces

Hayden Panettiere’s recent Instagram activity drew attention after she shared a black-and-white…

Hayden Panettiere Dies at 36, Fans Mourn Beloved Star

Hayden Panettiere, the actress who rose from child stardom to become a…

Bunnie Xo’s Baby Plans With Jelly Roll: What’s Really Going On

At some point, the uncomfortable baby question has to be asked. Almost…

WNBA Faces Fan Backlash Over Sophie Cunningham Message

The WNBA sparked a split reaction among fans after posting a birthday…

Sardinian Coast Faces Surge of Tourist Party Boats as Locals Raise Alarm

Some of Sardinia’s most treasured coastal beauty spots are under mounting pressure…

Hayden Panettiere’s Memoir: The Biggest Revelations Yet

Hayden Panettiere reflected on the painful decision to relinquish custody of her…

WNBA Legend Draws Laughs With Sexuality Joke in Hall of Fame Speech

Candace Parker sparked a wave of reaction with a brief, self-aware joke…

Trump Orders Scaled-Back U.S. Military Drills With South Korea

President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to significantly reduce planned joint…

Netflix Moves to Toss Tyra Banks Defamation Suit Over ANTM Doc

Netflix is reportedly pushing back against Tyra Banks’ defamation lawsuit, asking the…

Benefit Claimants Could Receive Therapy Instead of Cash Under Welfare Reform Proposals

Britons receiving benefits could be offered non-cash help, including therapy or nutritious…