New Zealand has done away with its net zero mission by overturning a ban on drilling for oil and gas first instituted by former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern (pictured)
Share this @internewscast.com

New Zealand has done away with its net zero policy by overturning a oil and gas drilling ban in a shock move many hope Australia will replicate.

Earlier this week, the New Zealand government announced its plans in the latest budget, which includes a $200 million investment in new offshore gas fields.

This decision overturns the 2018 ban on new offshore oil exploration permits, which was initiated by former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern as a part of her strategy for achieving a carbon-neutral future.

Ardern’s 2018 decision came despite New Zealand discovering billions of cubic metres of natural gas offshore.

‘The world has moved on from fossil fuels,’ Ardern proclaimed at the time.

New Zealand’s energy minister, Shane Jones, said Ardern’s ban had been a disaster.

‘We are experiencing the effects of limited supply. The Government refuses to remain passive and witness our industrial and manufacturing sectors suffer due to energy security issues,’ he stated to the

‘We are focused on growing the New Zealand economy, creating jobs and increasing prosperity and resilience. Natural gas will continue to be critical in delivering secure and affordable energy for New Zealanders for at least the next 20 years.’

New Zealand has done away with its net zero mission by overturning a ban on drilling for oil and gas first instituted by former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern (pictured)

New Zealand has done away with its net zero mission by overturning a ban on drilling for oil and gas first instituted by former Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern (pictured) 

Nationals Senator Matt Canavan (pictured) has embraced New Zealand's move to abandon net zero, urging Australia to follow suit: 'Why do we remain committed to this madness?'

Nationals Senator Matt Canavan (pictured) has embraced New Zealand’s move to abandon net zero, urging Australia to follow suit: ‘Why do we remain committed to this madness?’

Nationals senator Matt Canavan took to social media on Friday to question why Australia has not yet done away with its own plans to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.

‘New Zealand just dropped net zero,’ he wrote in a post to social media.

‘Why do we remain committed to this madness?’

Canavan, who mounted an unsuccessful challenge to topple David Littleproud for the National Party’s top post earlier this month, told Sky News on Sunday he hoped to convince his party to abandon its support for net zero.

‘I didn’t really run to become leader, I ran to end our ridiculous support of this crazy idea of net zero,’ he said.

‘Now, obviously, that fight continues; I haven’t quite got there yet, but I had good conversations with my colleagues about that.

‘I’m sure there will be a reflection on that policy at some point while we’re in Opposition here.’

His position appeared to contradict earlier comments by the party’s deputy leader, Kevin Hogan, who said on Sunday that the net zero debate within the party had been settled.

‘The Nationals support net zero [by] 2050,’ he told ABC TV, adding the position was no longer ‘up for review or being changed’.

Littleproud has suggested policy disagreements should be on the table in renegotiating the Coalition agreement – a secretive document laying out the rules of engagement between the Liberal and National Party.

Canavan said he hoped to convince the Nationals to abandon its support for net zero

Canavan said he hoped to convince the Nationals to abandon its support for net zero

It’s unclear whether the Nationals will push to make net zero a key issue.

Liberal frontbencher Anne Ruston told ABC’s Insiders last Sunday the agreement should be limited to matters of administration, allowing both parties to handle policy issues within their party rooms.

Ruston said net zero was an ‘important part of policy going forward’ but added it was ‘no secret’ the parties held different views on how best to achieve it.

‘Right now, I absolutely think the thing we need to concentrate on is making sure that people can afford their power bills,’ she said.

‘The reality that we have to face as a political party, the Liberal Party, is that the electorate spoke very loudly to us two weekends ago that they didn’t like what we were doing and we needed to make some changes.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Someone holding a handful of Australian cash.

Massive Cash Boost: Over 5 Million Australians Set to Benefit Soon!

More than five million Australians receiving social security payments, half of whom…

Breaking: US Supreme Court Overturns Trump’s Controversial Global Tariffs – What This Means for International Trade

Key Points In a 6-3 decision, the justices ruled that the law…

Trump Promises to Unveil UFO and Alien Secrets: What Could Be Revealed?

IN BRIEF Trump’s move comes after former US president Barack Obama said…
The death of Ruben Ray Martinez, 23, would mark the earliest of at least six deadly shootings by federal officers since the start of a nationwide immigration crackdown in President Donald Trump's second term.

Shocking Incident: Texas Man Fatally Shot by Federal Immigration Agent – Uncover the Full Story

Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…
Victims were led to believe they were purchasing cryptocurrency, shares, or other legitimate investment products.

Sydney Man Exposed: The $5 Million Scam That Shocked Australia

Elderly and vulnerable victims were usually contacted on social media and encouraged…

Former Prince Andrew Released from Police Custody Following Arrest

In Brief Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in…
rugby league Pixs taken at Telstra stadium at the match between CANTERBURY BULLDOGS and NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS. Pic shows..MATT UTAI SCORES Pixs

Charges Filed Against Suspected Gunmen in Former NRL Player Shooting Incident

Police have charged two people, including a 15-year-old, as the alleged gunmen…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

UK Government Weighs Historic Decision: Potential Removal of Former Prince from Royal Succession

Despite recent controversy, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor remains the eighth person in line to…

Tragic Outcomes From Dual Mental Health Facility Escapes Spur Call for ‘Urgent’ Reform

IN BRIEF Advocates say the mental health system is too focused on…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…
'No justice': Hit-run victim's family slam punishment

Outrage Over Lenient Sentence: Hit-and-Run Victim’s Family Demands Justice

WARNING: This article contains the names of deceased Indigenous people. The family…