Share this @internewscast.com

Hundreds of protestors have stormed Melbourne‘s CBD to rally against the looming five-day lockdown coming into force across Victoria from midnight. 

Premier Daniel Andrews on Thursday said Victoria had ‘no choice’ but to enter a snap statewide lockdown to contain a growing outbreak of the COVID-19 Delta variant. 

The decision came after the state recorded two new cases, bringing the cluster to 18, which was sparked when NSW‘s outbreak was imported into Melbourne by a Sydney removalist working interstate. 

But hundreds of angry residents did not agree with the premier, demanding he be sacked for plunging the state into its fifth lockdown. 

Hundreds of protestors swarmed Melbourne's CBD on Thursday to rally against Victoria's fifth lockdown, coming into effect from midnight

Hundreds of protestors swarmed Melbourne's CBD on Thursday to rally against Victoria's fifth lockdown, coming into effect from midnight

Hundreds of protestors swarmed Melbourne’s CBD on Thursday to rally against Victoria’s fifth lockdown, coming into effect from midnight

Angry residents packed together as they chanted and held up signs, with some spouting claims the pandemic was not real

Angry residents packed together as they chanted and held up signs, with some spouting claims the pandemic was not real

Angry residents packed together as they chanted and held up signs, with some spouting claims the pandemic was not real

One man, carrying a sign suggesting the pandemic was not real, wore a shirt with a slogan urging Australians to avoid the Covid vaccine

One man, carrying a sign suggesting the pandemic was not real, wore a shirt with a slogan urging Australians to avoid the Covid vaccine

One man, carrying a sign suggesting the pandemic was not real, wore a shirt with a slogan urging Australians to avoid the Covid vaccine

From 11.59pm on Thursday, Victorians will only be able to leave home for five reasons – to shop for food and essential items, provide or receive care, exercise, work or study if they are unable to from home and to get vaccinated.

The same rules that applied during last month’s lockdown will be reimposed, including a five-kilometre travel limit for exercise and shopping and compulsory masks indoors and outdoors.

The lockdown will end at 11.59pm on Tuesday, though restrictions in regional Victoria could be lifted earlier if it is safe to do so.

Mr Andrews said the state’s contact tracers were moving faster than they ever have, but haven’t been able to keep up with the spread of the Delta variant.

‘We’ve got no choice. We have to do this, otherwise, it will get away from us. We don’t want this getting away from us and being locked down for months,’ he told reporters.

Mr Andrews confirmed Victoria recorded two additional locally acquired COVID-19 cases on Thursday afternoon.

There are now 18 community COVID-19 cases associated with two separate outbreaks, both of which originated in NSW.

Two COVID-infected NSW removalists breached their workers permit conditions and spread the virus during a drop-off at the Ariele Apartments in Maribyrnong late last week.

Victorians braved the wet weather as they into Melbourne's CBD on Thursday night for a 'freedom rally' against the premier's latest Coronavirus measures

Victorians braved the wet weather as they into Melbourne's CBD on Thursday night for a 'freedom rally' against the premier's latest Coronavirus measures

Victorians braved the wet weather as they into Melbourne’s CBD on Thursday night for a ‘freedom rally’ against the premier’s latest Coronavirus measures

Face masks were noticeably absent from the sea of faces marching through Melbourne on Thursday night

Face masks were noticeably absent from the sea of faces marching through Melbourne on Thursday night

Face masks were noticeably absent from the sea of faces marching through Melbourne on Thursday night 

Meanwhile, a member of a family who returned from Sydney went to the supermarket when they were meant to be isolating at home.

Mr Andrews would not be drawn on whether Victoria’s lockdown could have been avoided if Sydney had locked down sooner.

‘I can’t control what happens and doesn’t happen in NSW,’ he said.

‘These cases started in NSW, but I’m determined they will end here. We will put this out with the help of every single Victorian.’

Of greatest concern to authorities are three cases who tested positive after attending an AFL match between Carlton and Geelong at the MCG on Saturday.

COVID-19 Commander Jeroen Weimar said the cases appear to be linked to an infectious man who lives at the Ariele Apartments and attended the match in the MCC member’s reserve on level two.

He said the trio are not known contacts of the infected man and that it appeared to be a case of ‘stranger-to-stranger transmission’.

The infected man, aged in his 60s, attended the game with his friend – a teacher from Bacchus Marsh Grammar school who lives in Barwon Heads.

One protestor made a sign reading 'lockdown kills' as the state braces to enter its fifth crippling lockdown from 11.59pm

One protestor made a sign reading 'lockdown kills' as the state braces to enter its fifth crippling lockdown from 11.59pm

One protestor made a sign reading ‘lockdown kills’ as the state braces to enter its fifth crippling lockdown from 11.59pm

The teacher and two of his family members have also subsequently tested positive for COVID-19.

Bacchus Marsh Grammar and Barwon Heads Primary School were among seven schools forced to close due to possible coronavirus exposure.

There are more than 75 exposures sites across Melbourne and regional Victoria, with some 1500 primary close contacts and 5000 secondary contacts self-isolating.

It is the fifth lockdown for Victoria since the start of the pandemic and the third in 2021.

Mr Andrews said he will be making the case for Commonwealth assistance for affected workers and businesses.

Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien said he said he felt for small businesses and students forced to learn from home, as well as those forced to cancel weddings, birthdays and special events.

“This is going to be a massive kick in the guts for a state that’s done it so tough already,” he said.

A man chanted through a megaphone, rousing fellow protestors, as he led the procession through Flinders Street

A man chanted through a megaphone, rousing fellow protestors, as he led the procession through Flinders Street

A man chanted through a megaphone, rousing fellow protestors, as he led the procession through Flinders Street

Source: Daily Mail

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Massive 1,200-Mile Snowstorm Set to Blanket US with Up to 18 Inches of Snow

A colossal winter storm, stretching nearly 1,200 miles across the northern United…

Wiggles Face Controversy Amid Allegations of Drug Use

The beloved children’s group, The Wiggles, issued an apology after a controversial…

Outrage Erupts as Migrant Released by Agencies Sparks Devastating Crash: Sheriff Speaks Out

An Ohio sheriff took to social media to express his frustration with…

Exclusive: Politician Breaks Silence on Burka Controversy in Parliament Interview with Jenny Johnston

What a sight. It’s no surprise that the image quickly became a…

Black Friday Shopping Chaos: Valley Fair Mall Shooting Leaves Several Injured

Shoppers at West San Jose’s Westfield Valley Fair Mall found themselves in…

Trump Halts Asylum Decisions Following National Guard Attack

The Trump administration has implemented a temporary halt on asylum decisions across…

Discover How Prince Edward Secures a 120-Room Surrey Mansion for Minimal Rent

Prince Edward is leasing a grand estate in Surrey under favorable terms,…

Anthony Albanese and Jodie Haydon Tie the Knot in Intimate Ceremony at The Lodge

In a historic moment for Australia, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Jodie…

Prince William Shocks Royal Fans with Unexpected Change in Beloved Hobby Shared with Kate

In a delightful revelation, Prince William has expressed his newfound enthusiasm for…

Top Aide to Zelensky Resigns Following Home Investigation

In a significant development, Volodymyr Zelensky’s chief of staff, Andriy Yermak, has…

New Image Unveils Harrowing Details of National Guard ‘Terror Attack

An intense photograph captured the critical moments as law enforcement officers raced…

Tragic Incident: Cheerleader’s Life Lost in Cruise Ship Confrontation

Anna Kepner, an 18-year-old cheerleader, tragically lost her life under harrowing circumstances…