DA Hochman denies bias against Menendez brothers

DA Hochman denies bias against Menendez brothers

() — Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman says he’s not biased against Erik and Lyle Menendez despite accusations from the brothers’ attorney.

“Nothing could be further from the truth,” Hochman told ‘s Elizabeth Vargas on Friday. “We’ve put in both facts that are favorable and unfavorable to our ultimate position.”

Erik and Lyle Menendez are currently spending life in prison without the possibility of parole for fatally shooting their father and mother in their Beverly Hills home in 1989. The brothers were 18 and 21 at the time of the killings.

Now, the brothers are pushing to have their sentences reduced — a bid that former LA County DA George Gascón supported, but one that Hochman has opposed.

The resentencing hearings were supposed to take place this week but now face further delays.

Mark Geragos, the brothers’ attorney, accused Hochman of having a personal bias against his clients and wants him removed from the case.

“The family does not want to go through this charade anymore with the DA,” Geragos said Thursday. “This is a DA that made up his mind and did no hard work.”

Hochman rejects those assertions and told Vargas his office has taken the case “incredibly seriously,” reviewing “over 50,000 pages of trial transcripts, thousands of pages of prison records and hundreds of hours of videotape,” among other work.

“Our ultimate position with respect to resentencing is not ‘no,’ it’s ‘not yet,'” Hochman said.

He continued: “When the Menendez brothers fully accept responsibility for all their criminal conduct, deceit, lies and cover-up, then we have said that the judge should reconsider at that point.”

The extended Menendez family, aside from an uncle who died last month, has said they fully forgive the brothers for what they did and want them to be freed.

The next hearing is set for May 9, where lawyers will argue whether a new report from California’s parole board is admissible in court.

Watch the interview with Nathan Hochman in the player above.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

You May Also Like

Indonesia Earthquake Survivors Still Await Critical Aid

Thousands of residents on Indonesia’s Flores island were still waiting for emergency…

Scores of Teens Erupt in Violent Brawl at Wisconsin State Fair

A night at a popular Midwest state fair descended into chaos after…

Hayden Panettiere’s Tragic Connection to Michelle Trachtenberg

Hayden Panettiere and Michelle Trachtenberg helped shape a defining chapter in teen…

Jared Kushner Says Hamas Made Positive Signals on Gaza Peace Plan, but IDF Will Stay Until It Disarms

WASHINGTON — Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and special envoy for peace,…

Five Teens Killed in Motorway Crash After Alleged Crime Spree

Five teenagers killed when a stolen car smashed into an unsuspecting family…

Eric Swalwell’s Past Ties to Alleged Chinese Spy Detailed in New Report

Former Congressman Eric Swalwell told the FBI he “occasionally hooked up” with…

How a Teen TikTok Star’s Fame Drove Her Father to Murder

In the predawn darkness of July 10, 2021, a deafening blast jolted…

Michael Jackson’s Daughter Paris Jackson Underwent Electroconvulsive Therapy

Paris Jackson has opened up about the extent of her mental health…

Spain Earthquake Triggers Hotel Evacuations, Raises Alarm

A magnitude-4.8 earthquake shook southern Spain on Tuesday, prompting hotel evacuations in…

Hayden Panettiere’s Heartbreaking Struggles Revealed

Hayden Panettiere’s emotional two-hour conversation with podcaster Jay Shetty earlier this year…

Beloved ’90s Sitcom Mom and Doogie Howser Star Makes Rare Outing

A familiar TV face best remembered by many viewers as Neil Patrick…

Portland Faces Asbestos Cloud Risk in Historic Mill Demolition

A 116-year-old Portland mill contaminated with asbestos is slated for demolition, alarming…