Mayor blasts federal threat to deploy National Guard to Chicago
Share this @internewscast.com

CHICAGO — Chicago’s mayor is challenging President Donald Trump’s threat to send the National Guard to the Windy City as a crime-fighting measure while seeking legal means to prevent such a military intervention.

On Friday, Trump reiterated his contentious decision to dispatch the National Guard to Washington, D.C., and indicated that Chicago and New York City were next in line. The president has justified the capital’s deployment as a crime-reducing measure, but critics assert it represents an overreach of political authority.

“The guard is not needed,” Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson stated to NBC News. “This is not the role of our military. The dedicated individuals who joined the military to serve our country did not do so to take control of American cities.”

Johnson highlighted the decrease in the city’s crime rates, noting reductions in murders, shootings, and car thefts. Chicago police statistics from earlier this month indicate a 31% decline in murders, a 36% reduction in shootings, and a 26% decrease in vehicle thefts compared to last year.

“The measures we’re implementing in Chicago, such as investing in the community, youth employment, mental health services, constructing affordable housing, and ensuring our detectives have the necessary resources, are yielding the positive results we’re currently witnessing,” he said.

“Occupying our cities with the military — that’s not how we build safe and affordable communities,” he added.

On Sunday, Johnson further criticized Trump’s reduction of federal investments in violence prevention and cuts to the budgets for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Medicaid, questioning the president’s commitment to reducing urban violence.

“The National Guard is not going to put food on people’s table. The National Guard is not going to reduce unemployment,” Johnson said.

The mayor’s office said in a statement Saturday that it was working with Illinois’ governor and Cook County, which is home to Chicago, in “evaluating all of our legal options to protect the people of Chicago from unconstitutional federal overreach.”

Edwin Yohnka, director of communications and public policy for the Illinois branch of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the president will face legal challenge if the guard is deployed in Chicago without a valid reason.

“There’s a higher barrier for the president to send National Guard into Chicago [than into D.C.], because there has to be a reason or he has to have the agreement of the governor of the state of Illinois. And clearly, from what we see, he’s not going to have that. He’s going to have to articulate a reason for doing it. I think that reason will be challenged by the state of Illinois,” Yohnka said in an interview.

He said the ACLU of Illinois will also be “on the lookout” for how troops behave on the streets and challenge any arrests, detention sweeps or use of excessive force.

Speaking Friday at the Oval Office, Trump said he hadn’t made any concrete plans with regard to Chicago and hadn’t spoken to the mayor about any troop deployment.

He claimed, however, that people in the city “are screaming for us to come.”

“When we’re ready, and we’ll go in and we’ll straighten out Chicago, just like we did D.C. Chicago is very dangerous,” the president said.

On Saturday, Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker accused Trump on X of “attempting to manufacture a crisis, politicize Americans who serve in uniform, and continue abusing his power to distract from the pain he’s causing families.”

The chair of the Chicago City Council’s Public Safety Committee spoke to NBC Chicago about the need to reduce crime in the city but said the president’s National Guard threats are misguided.

“We still see an unacceptably high number of robberies, carjackings, burglaries, break-ins. We have work to do, but we need help that makes sense,” Alderman Brian Hopkins said. “The federal National Guard isn’t going to make a difference in carjacking in Chicago. If he really wanted to help, we’re short 2,000 police officers. Unfortunately, that is not what Trump is talking about.”

Trump has also threatened to deploy the Guard to Baltimore and has attacked Maryland Gov. Wes Moore on social media.

Moore said in a statement that Trump “would rather attack his country’s largest cities from behind a desk than walk the streets with the people he represents.”

Trump has been using the National Guard in unconventional ways compared to past presidents.

Typically, the guard is called upon for crises, including natural disasters and civil unrest. In June, the president deployed thousands of guard troops and Marines to Los Angeles amid protests against immigration raids. That deployment was against the wishes of California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass.

The current D.C. deployment has raised eyebrows, as well. While it is touted as being a stand against crime, the numbers show violent crime in the nation’s capital was down 26% compared with last year, according to D.C. police data.

Shaquille Brewster and Selina Guevara reported from Chicago and Marlene Lenthang from Los Angeles.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Trump Accelerates U.S. Nuclear Power Expansion: Military Airlifts Advanced Reactor for Rapid Deployment

HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah – In an unprecedented move, the Pentagon,…

BAFTA Buzz: ‘One Battle’ and ‘Sinners’ Dominate the Spotlight as Stars Shine Bright

LONDON – TO BE UPDATED AT 0500GMT SUNDAY The riveting political thriller…

Brazil and India Forge Strategic Partnership to Enhance Collaboration on Rare Earth Elements

SAO PAULO – On Saturday, Brazil and India reached an important agreement…

Trump Proposes Steeper 15% Tariff Hike Post-Supreme Court Ruling: Economic Implications Unveiled

WASHINGTON – In a surprising turn of events, President Donald Trump announced…

Comprehensive Roster: Candidates Submit Petitions for Washington County, TN Elections

In Jonesborough, Tennessee, a pivotal moment arrived as prospective candidates faced the…

Elizabethton Resident Establishes Park in Memory of Late Daughter

ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (WJHL) – In a heartfelt tribute to his late daughter,…

Historic NYC Nursing Strike Ends: New Contract Promises Better Conditions and Care

NEW YORK – A significant nursing strike has concluded as nurses at…

Utah Supreme Court Upholds Congressional Map, Dismisses Appeal for Redistricting Change

SALT LAKE CITY – In a significant decision, Utah’s Supreme Court dismissed…