Roger Duarte, the chief executive previously recognized by Forbes 30 Under 30, has been identified as one of seven victims killed when a safari helicopter crashed in Kenya on Wednesday.
Duarte, 42, was a well-known Miami-based seafood businessman who had built a thriving career in the industry. He lived in a $2.8 million home in Florida with his wife and their two young sons.
His father, Roger Duarte Sr., confirmed the devastating news to Our News Outlet by phone just hours after the fatal crash.
‘I’m very devastated right now,’ the 82-year-old said. ‘I don’t have the words to express my feelings.’
‘We don’t know much about what happened,’ he added. ‘They are investigating the crash.’
José Suárez, president and general manager of several Telemundo-owned stations in Florida, was also among those who died, NBC reported. Suárez had previously worked with the network as well.
NBC paid tribute to the 55-year-old media executive, describing him as ‘a visionary leader committed to expanding and growing Telemundo’s markets’ over his 18 years with the company.
Suárez and Duarte were part of a group of six tourists, including four Americans, who had set out on the Kenya safari trip on Wednesday morning before the helicopter went down.
They were flying from the Loisaba Conservancy to the Ewaso Nyiro area in Samburu County when the helicopter plummeted to the ground in the rugged foothills of Mount Ololokwe at 9.13am, according to the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority.
All six of the tourists on board, along with the Kenyan pilot, perished in the crash. The cause of the tragedy is not yet known.

Forbes 30 under 30 chief executive Roger Duarte has been named as one of the seven people who have died in a safari helicopter crash in Kenya. He is pictured with his wife Nicole Valls

Duarte, 42, was a popular and highly successful seafood entrepreneur from Miami, Florida, where he lived in a $2.8 million mansion, pictured above, with his wife and two young sons

Duarte was among a group of six tourists on board the chartered helicopter, which was flying from the Loisaba Conservancy to the Ewaso Nyiro area in Samburu County for a wildlife safari on Wednesday morning when it crashed at 9.13am. The scene is shown above
Duarte left a lucrative career in investment banking at the age of just 24 to start his own business – George Stone Crab, an international delivery service of stone crabs from the Florida Keys.

Duarte is shown in his LinkedIn picture
The business earned him a place in the Forbes 30 under 30 list for 2016, and the magazine praised his company for becoming ‘the largest distributor of Florida stone crabs to Latin America.’
He also founded two more Miami-based food businesses, My Ceviche and Zuuk Mediterranean Kitchen, according to his LinkedIn profile.
The self-made millionaire has been pictured on the red carpet in Miami with his wife, Nicole Valls, 43, who he was married to for almost five years.
They had built a stunning life in their four-bedroom, four-bathroom mansion in the affluent Coral Gables neighborhood located close to downtown Miami.
Duarte appeared to have gone on the trip to Kenya with a group of friends, who have been named by local press. The Mail has not yet verified their identities.
The helicopter crashed in the foothills of Mount Ololokwe, which is home to roaming wild leopards and elephants, making it a popular destination for wildlife tours.

Duarte’s father told Our News Outlet he is ‘devastated’ by the news of his son’s death

The aircraft plummeted to the ground in the rugged foothills of Mount Ololokwe in northern Kenya at 9.13am, according to the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority

Duarte left a lucrative career in investment banking at the age of just 24 to start his own business – George Stone Crab, an international delivery service of crabs from the Florida Keys
The aircraft, a Eurocopter EC130 B4 owned by local company Lady Lori Helicopters, was carrying guests with travel company &Beyond.
Lady Lori Helicopters said in a statement that the aircraft was operating a charter flight when it crashed.
Tropic Air Kenya, a local safari operator, said it dispatched two of its helicopters to aid search and rescue operations.
The Kenya Red Cross also said that its emergency response teams were ‘participating in a multiagency response effort as rescue teams work to access the crash site.’
Helicopter crashes are becoming increasingly frequent in Kenya, which has a vibrant tourism industry dependent on domestic carriers to ferry visitors to distant locations.