Share this @internewscast.com


Lack of transparency from authorities abroad has prompted Australia to dispatch a special envoy to Laos as it probes the methanol poisoning deaths of two teenagers.

Veteran diplomat Pablo Kang has been tasked with “exploring all avenues to progress the case” concerning the 2024 deaths of Holly Morton-Bowles and Bianca Jones in Laos.

The 19-year-olds from Melbourne’s Bayside region were backpacking through Southeast Asia when they tragically succumbed to methanol poisoning in late 2024. The incident occurred while they were drinking at the Nana Backpackers Hostel in Vang Vieng.

This mass poisoning event claimed the lives of at least six foreigners, including British national Simone White, an American tourist, and two young women from Denmark.

The families of Morton-Bowles and Jones expressed outrage this week after learning that ten individuals linked to the methanol poisoning case appeared in court in January. They were fined a mere $185 for evidence destruction, and no charges have been filed regarding the deaths.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong announced Kang’s mission on Thursday, following an apology from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) earlier in the week for not providing more information to the victims’ families.

“Since their November 2024 deaths, the Albanese Government has been clear to the Lao authorities of the need for transparency and accountability,” Wong said in a statement.

“We have consistently conveyed our expectations that charges should reflect the seriousness of the tragedy that killed Holly, Bianca and four other foreign nationals.”

Kang is the head of the Southeast Asia regional and mainland division of DFAT and will leave for Laos as soon as possible. He has previously served as Australia’s representative in Cambodia, the United Arab Emirates and Vanuatu.

Morton-Bowles’ father, Shaun Bowles, said Australians considering travelling to Laos should rethink their plans and avoid the country.

Opposition leader Sussan Ley called for Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to summon the Laotian ambassador for a “formal explanation” on Tuesday about the “weak prosecutions”.

During parliamentary Question Time, Albanese acknowledged the court developments had “added to the heartbreak” of the families.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…

Join Randa Abdel-Fattah at the Sydney Writers’ Festival: A Must-Attend Event for Literature Lovers!

In brief Sydney Writers’ Festival said in a statement it was “not…
The sign outside entrance to the NDIS headquarters in central Geelong. The building is at 13 - 19 Malop Street

Government Employee Accused in $5 Million NDIS Fraud Case

An employee of the National Disability Insurance Agency is facing charges in…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…