Share this @internewscast.com

Tennis has ushered in a new champion as Carlos Alcaraz triumphed over the iconic Novak Djokovic in a thrilling Australian Open final, claiming the title of the youngest male to achieve a career Grand Slam.

The top-ranked player in the world staged an impressive comeback after losing the first set, ultimately thwarting Djokovic’s quest for a historic 25th major singles title with a 2-6, 6-2, 6-3, 7-5 victory on Sunday night at Rod Laver Arena.

By handing Djokovic his first defeat in 11 Melbourne Park finals, Alcaraz secured his first Australian Open crown, complementing his previous victories at the French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open.

The Spanish prodigy joins an elite group of tennis legends—Don Budge, Fred Perry, Roy Emerson, Rod Laver, Andre Agassi, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Djokovic himself—as the ninth man to win all four prestigious Grand Slam tournaments.

Remarkably, Alcaraz achieved this milestone at the age of 22 years and 272 days, making him the youngest to accomplish such a rare achievement.

American tennis great Don Budge was 91 days older when he completed his Grand Slam collection at the 1938 French Open.

Carlos Alcaraz and Novak Djokovic with trophies
Alcaraz paid tribute to his vanquished opponent, hailing Djokovic as an “inspiration”. Source: AAP / Patrick Hamilton

Alcaraz has now won seven slams — surpassing stars including Stefan Edberg and Boris Becker and drawing level with fellow all-time greats John McEnroe, John Newcombe and Mats Wilander — in just 20 major appearances.

‘It feels crazy’

Fittingly, Nadal enjoyed a front-row view as Mark Edmondson, on the 50th anniversary of his 1976 Open triumph, presented the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup to his countryman.

“It’s a little bit weird seeing Rafael in the stands. It’s the first time, I think, if I’m not wrong,” Alcaraz said.

“You were watching me when I was like 15, 14 years old, so it’s been a long time but, yeah, it’s such an honour playing in front of you.

“It feels a dream come true. I dreamt about getting the Australian Open to complete the career Grand Slam, so I’m lost now. I don’t even know what what to say.

“But it feels crazy, to be honest.”

Alcaraz also paid tribute to his vanquished opponent, hailing Djokovic as an “inspiration”.

“He deserves an ovation, for sure,” the champion said. “For doing the amazing things he’s doing.”

Djokovic, though, accepted the night belonged to Alcaraz.

Nobak Djokovic mid game
Djokovic had been bidding to become the oldest player in the open era stretching back to 1968 to win a grand slam men’s singles title. Source: AAP / Patrick Hamilton

“What you’ve been doing, I think the best word to describe it is historic, legendary,” he said.

With both coming off epic, marathon semi-final victories on Friday night, intrigue surrounded how the two gladiators would shape up physically for the blockbuster final.

At 38 years and 255 days, Djokovic had been bidding to become the oldest player in the open era stretching back to 1968 to win a grand slam men’s singles title.

Instead the former world No.1 suffered his first final loss on his RLA battleground.

Having also won last year’s French and US Open titles, Alcaraz now holds three of the four grand slam trophies.

And, continuing their domination, Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner join Djokovic and Nadal as only the second pair ever to share nine consecutive grand slam titles.

Only Nadal and Federer, with 11 straight slams between 2005 and 2007, have enjoyed a longer stranglehold on the men’s majors.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Once More Despite Prosecutors’ Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased…

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…
Guzman y Gomez hidden logo detail

Low Burrito Sales in Australia Lead to $200 Million Loss for Major Company

Guzman y Gomez, a well-known burrito chain, has taken a significant financial…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…
Police return to royal homes after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest

Police Presence Intensifies at Royal Residences Following Former Prince Andrew’s Arrest

The brother of King Charles III was taken into custody on his…

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Taken into Custody

Even after being stripped of his official titles by his brother, King…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…

Possum Alert: The Unseen Indicator of Australia’s Looming Extinction Crisis

In Brief The lemuroid ringtail possum is one of 34 species that…
Huge chunk of Central Australia to receive drenching

Central Australia Set for Major Downpour: What This Means for the Region

Central Australia is bracing for potential isolation due to an impending deluge…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…