Karmelo Anthony's family speaks for first time since stabbing

Karmelo Anthony's family speaks for first time since stabbing

() — Karmelo Anthony’s family spoke out for the first time since the 17-year-old was accused of stabbing another high school student, Austin Metcalf, at a Frisco, Texas, track meet on April 2.

According to ABC News, Next Generation Action Network — a social justice organization — held a press conference Thursday with Anthony’s parents in Dallas.

Anthony’s mother, Kala Hayes, as well as the president and CEO of Next Generation Action Network, Dominique Alexander, spoke at the conference.

‘Our family has been attacked’: Karmelo Anthony’s mother

During the press conference, Hayes claimed that her family’s address, as well as the address of her husband’s former employer, had been posted on social media. She said her husband had to take a leave of absence “because he’s afraid what may happen to our family.”

“In the wake of this tragic incident, our family has been under attack. Whatever you think happened between Karmelo and the Metcalf boy, my three younger children, husband and I didn’t do anything to deserve to be threatened, harassed and lied about,” she said.

Hayes also said that her other children have been affected. Her 13-year-old daughter is allegedly “afraid to sleep in her own bedroom because she’s fearful of what might happen to her.”

GiveSendGo fundraiser rumors

After the track meet stabbing occurred, fundraisers were set up for Anthony and Metcalf. Despite Anthony’s GoFundMe being taken down, GiveSendGo decided to leave the fundraiser on their site online.

According to ABC News, that fundraiser has raised over $458,000 as of Thursday.

Hayes touched on the rumors surrounding the fundraiser, saying her family hasn’t received any money from that. They were allegedly just given the ability to withdraw funds Wednesday.

“Let’s be clear. The family has not received one dime,” Alexander said. “But we saw on Twitter, we saw on Facebook and so many different things, of the false lavish life of this family — $800,000 home, purchased Escalade and private security.”

Karmelo Anthony’s family faces threats, racism: Minister

Hayes also explained that her family believes in the Constitution and the laws of Texas. So, she isn’t sure why her family is “being targeted and discriminated against before a fair trial.”

“Our son deserves the same rights under the law that everyone is afforded to. … Those laws must apply to all of us, not just some of us,” she said.

Hayes spoke directly to the Metcalf family, saying, “For the family who experienced the loss, my heart goes out for you.”

Alexander also explained that the Anthony family has had to deal with “an unimaginable amount of hate, racism, threats to their safety.”

“This is not just about Karmelo. This is about the family that dared to stand and demand justice. Let me be loud and clear, we are not scared. We are not moving. We will not be silent.”

Austin Metcalf’s father shows up at news conference: Reports

Anthony has been charged with the murder of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a high school track meet. The two got into an altercation, which ended with Anthony allegedly stabbing Metcalf, who is said to have died in his twin brother’s arms.

Metcalf’s father, Jeff Metcalf, showed up at the news conference Thursday, according to KDFW. However, police officers from the Dallas Police Department showed up before the presser started and asked him to leave.

Metcalf allegedly told CBS News Texas that he thought showing up to the news conference would be a chance for the families to come together. Officers told Metcalf that if he didn’t leave, they would have to charge him with trespassing.

Alexander allegedly started the news conference by slamming Jeff Metcalf for showing up. He said, “It just shows you all the character. He was not invited. He knows that it is inappropriate to be near his family.”

Anthony had initially been held on a $1 million bond. However, a Collin County judge changed his bond to $250,000, online court records stated. That day, he was reportedly released from the county jail.

You May Also Like

Hayden Panettiere’s Mother Condemns Brian Hickerson After Tragic Death

Lesley Vogel, the mother of Hayden Panettiere, has spoken publicly for the…

Los Angeles AutoZone Ransacked Amid Surge in Store Looting

Another AutoZone in Los Angeles has been targeted by looters, coming just…

Former College Football Star’s Cause of Death Revealed at 24

Four months after former Wisconsin Badgers football player Jack Pugh died unexpectedly…

Kim Basinger at 72: See the Bond Girl and 9½ Weeks Star Now

Kim Basinger, the Oscar-winning actress who helped define Hollywood glamour in the…

White House Mocks Jon Ossoff as Theatre Kid After Trump Dig

Sen. Jon Ossoff drew sharp ridicule from several White House officials on…

Chiefs Coach Says Wife Told Him to Flee After She Was Shot

Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy says his wife, Mia, encouraged…

Spain Earthquake Triggers Hotel Evacuations, Raises Alarm

A magnitude-4.8 earthquake shook southern Spain on Tuesday, prompting hotel evacuations in…

Hayden Panettiere’s On-Off Boyfriend Tried to Get Abuse Charges Expunged

Nearly one month before Hayden Panettiere’s tragic death, her longtime on-and-off boyfriend,…

Artist Narrowly Escapes House Fire After Dismissing Lightning Strike

A Nantucket art consultant was pulled to safety by four strangers after…

Earl Spencer to Speak Candidly About Princess Diana’s Death

Earl Spencer has written a remarkable new memoir about his sister, Princess…

Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel Put On United Front in New Photo

Justin Timberlake shared a rare family moment on Tuesday, posting a photo…

Celine Dion Reveals Comeback Plans Amid Health Battle

Celine Dion is preparing for what fans are hoping will be a…