Katy Perry demanding $5m from disabled vet in legal war over mansion

Katy Perry is seeking nearly $5 million in a legal case against a disabled veteran from whom she purchased a $15 million property in Montecito, California, over five years ago.

The 41-year-old pop star acquired the lavish home from Carl Westcott in 2020. However, shortly after the sale, Westcott, the founder of 1-800-Flowers, attempted to rescind the transaction, claiming he was under the influence of pain medication and not in the right state of mind when he signed the agreement.

This led to a legal dispute over the ownership of the eight-bedroom, 11-bathroom estate located in an exclusive neighborhood home to celebrities like Meghan Markle and Oprah Winfrey.

In May 2024, a judge sided with Perry, ruling that Westcott had been mentally competent at the time of the agreement and provided no compelling evidence of incapacity to engage in a real estate contract.

According to court documents submitted on November 21, Perry alleges that Westcott should be held responsible for financial losses related to rental income and necessary repairs on the mansion, as reported by the Daily Mail.

The singer of “I Kissed a Girl” has requested that the court order Westcott to pay $4,718,698.95 to cover the damages she claims resulted from the prolonged legal proceedings over the property sale.

The Daily Mail has reached out to reps for Perry and Westcott for further comment on the story. 

Katy Perry is asking for almost $5 million in a lawsuit against the disabled veteran who owned a $15 million Montecito, California home she purchased more than five years ago.

Carl Westcott founded the business 1-800-Flowers

Katy Perry, 41, is asking for almost $5 million in a counterclaim against the disabled veteran who owned a $15 million Montecito, California home she purchased more than five years ago. Pictured in LA last year 

Westcott, who founded the business 1-800-Flowers, had taken Perry to court claiming he was medicated at the time he approved the sale of the eight-bedroom, 11-bathroom home

Westcott, who founded the business 1-800-Flowers, had taken Perry to court claiming he was medicated at the time he approved the sale of the eight-bedroom, 11-bathroom home 

Westcott initially sued Perry’s business manager Bernie Gudvi the month after the sale went through. 

Attorneys for the Roar artist, who bought the home with ex-boyfriend Orlando Bloom, 48, said that she is ‘entitled to $3,525,000 in rental value’ that she lost due to the extended legal battle with Westcott.

Westcott should also pay the Santa Barbara, California native a total of ‘$1,343,401.95 for necessary repairs for a total of $4,868,401.95,’ her attorney said in court documents.

Lawyers for Perry said that after deducting $149,703 for losses Westcott had suffered, the final sum came out to $4,718,698.95.

Attorneys for Westcott said that it’s actually Perry that owes money, in terms of the financials involved.

Perry owes Westcott $6 million of the $15 million she agreed to pay for the property, Westcott’s lawyers said.

Westcott’s attorney said in legal docs filed in Los Angeles on November 7 that Perry has only paid $9 million.

Westcott would agree to deduct repair costs to whittle the amount down to $5,740,418.18, his legal team said.

Perry was asked by Westcott lawyer Andrew J. Thomas if she was positioned to 'gain money or anything else from the outcome of this litigation,' and replied, 'Yes … justice; I stand to lose money if it does not work in my favor'

Perry was asked by Westcott lawyer Andrew J. Thomas if she was positioned to ‘gain money or anything else from the outcome of this litigation,’ and replied, ‘Yes … justice; I stand to lose money if it does not work in my favor’

Westcott pictured with relatives amid the long-running legal row

Westcott pictured with relatives amid the long-running legal row 

The property has been at the center of litigation the past five years

The property has been at the center of litigation the past five years 

In August, Perry testified via a Zoom stream to Los Angeles Court about her purchase of the property, which is spread over 2.5 acres.

Perry was asked by Westcott lawyer Andrew J. Thomas if she was positioned to ‘gain money or anything else from the outcome of this litigation.’

The singer replied, ‘Yes … justice; I stand to lose money if it does not work in my favor.’

Perry has been romantically-linked with former Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau since her split with Bloom.

The California Gurls vocalist and the politician were first seen in late July dining at the Montreal restaurant Le Violon.

You May Also Like

Hurricane Lala Leaves at Least One Dead in Hawaii as Powerful Storm Hits Islands

One person has died in a storm-related incident after Hurricane Lala lashed…

Kentucky Family Turns Down Tech Giant’s $26.5M Offer to Buy Their Farm

A mother and daughter in rural Kentucky are being celebrated by neighbors…

Ella Langley’s Family Reveals Why an ‘Identity Crisis’ Drove Her to Flee Nashville

Years before Ella Langley began breaking records once associated with Taylor Swift,…

Jennifer Garner Seen Leaving LA Church After Reuniting With Ben Affleck

Jennifer Garner appeared in high spirits on Sunday as she stepped out…

Husband Drove for Hours With Deceased Wife in Passenger Seat

A Louisiana man is accused of driving for hours across state lines…

Hayden Panettiere Reveals the Toll of Fame in Candid Memoir

Hayden Panettiere published her memoir, This Is Me: A Reckoning, only three…

Texts Show Fauci Was Privately Alerted to Questions About COVID Vaccines and Miscarriages

WASHINGTON — Dr. Anthony Fauci was told privately in January 2021 that…

NYCHA Foes Spread Antisemitic, Racist, Homophobic Flyers

Antisemitic, racist and homophobic flyers attacking a major Chelsea housing redevelopment have…

Trump and Arab Allies Press Israel to Accept US-Backed Gaza Peace Plan

Four influential Arab countries and three other Muslim-majority powers are aligning with…

Iran Offered $30,000 Bounties to Kill or Capture U.S. Soldiers, Army Chief Says

Iran’s top military commander has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who…

Miguel Sandoval Pleads Guilty in Lancaster Quadruple Murder

A young man accused of carrying out a revenge-fueled massacre in Lancaster…

Trump Orders Scaled-Back U.S. Military Drills With South Korea

President Donald Trump has directed the Pentagon to significantly reduce planned joint…