Labour Unveils New Support to Remove Barriers to Apprenticeships - Internewscast Journal
Labour Unveils New Support to Remove Barriers to Apprenticeships

Thousands of households could receive payments worth up to £4,500 to offset the loss of benefits when a teenager begins an apprenticeship.

The proposal, announced by the Prime Minister on Tuesday, has drawn sharp criticism from opponents who argue it exposes the perverse incentives within the welfare system and casts doubt on his pledge to rein in the soaring benefits bill.

Government sources said Andy Burnham’s plan would affect only a “small” number of disabled young people in single-parent families who, because of an anomaly in the welfare rules, could otherwise lose more than £80 a week if they took up an apprenticeship.

Sir Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative work and pensions secretary, said: “We should not have a system where people are better off sitting at home than they are doing a job, and that includes apprenticeships.”

He added: “If there is a problem with apprenticeships struggling to compete with the benefits system then the benefits should be cut.

“Paying bursaries on top is piling payments on payments – it just complicates a system that is already a mess.”

The scheme is designed for teenagers, believed to number in the “low thousands”, whose families would be financially penalised if they chose an apprenticeship route.

Ministers have set aside about £30million for the annual payments, which would be available to 16 and 17-year-olds who are registered as disabled and live in single-parent households.

Andy Burnham, pictured with Education Secretary Lucy Powell, visited Alstom Transport in Derby on Tuesday as he pledged action to tackle Britain's youth unemployment crisis

Andy Burnham, pictured with Education Secretary Lucy Powell, visited Alstom Transport in Derby on Tuesday as he pledged action to tackle Britain’s youth unemployment crisis

Work and Pensions Secretary Pat McFadden insisted the welfare system should be a 'springboard to opportunity, not a barrier to it' as he set out Labour's plans

Work and Pensions Secretary Pat McFadden insisted the welfare system should be a ‘springboard to opportunity, not a barrier to it’ as he set out Labour’s plans

If they remain out of work, the family qualifies for up to £340 a week in extra benefits, which is lost if they take up an apprenticeship where pay is typically £258 per week. 

Ministers fear some parents are dissuading youngsters from taking an apprenticeship because it would leave them £82 a week worse off.

Mr Burnham has signalled that he wants to rein in the benefits system but has yet to publish any concrete proposals for short-term savings.

Speaking at the weekend, he ruled out ‘crude cuts’ but suggested that some payments could be made ‘conditional’ on people taking up work-related opportunities.

Left-wing Labour MPs, who blocked Sir Keir Starmer’s bid to trim the welfare bill, said on Tuesday they will not tolerate any cuts.

Apsana Begum, MP for Poplar and Limehouse, said Labour ‘were elected to deliver change, not cuts’, adding: ‘I will stand with disabled people, against any further cuts and restrictions to their benefits.’

Liverpool Riverside representative Kim Johnson said: ‘If the new leadership believes it can revive the failed politics of welfare cuts instead of asking the wealthiest to pay their fair share, it will be repeating not only Keir Starmer’s mistakes but 14 years of Tory austerity.’ 

She told Bloomberg: ‘If the first instinct of a new leadership is to target disabled people and low-income families… then nothing has been learnt.’

Analysis by the Daily Mail reveals that Mr Burnham has handed government roles to 18 MPs who joined the rebellion against welfare cuts last year. 

They include his deputy Louise Haigh and Chief Whip Anneliese Midgley, who were two of the leading figures in the revolt. Housing Secretary Angela Rayner was also a key figure in forcing Sir Keir to back down.

The Conservatives’ work and pensions spokesman, Helen Whately, said: ‘This is a reminder that Labour MPs don’t back welfare savings. In fact, they just want to tax people more – to spend more on benefits.’ 

The new bursary scheme is part of a wider package aimed at tackling the growing ‘Neets’ crisis. 

The number of young people not in education, employment or training has now topped one million and represents 13.5 per cent of all 16-24 year olds.

Work and Pensions Secretary Pat McFadden acknowledged that the welfare system is acting as a ‘barrier’ to work for some, but said the bursary scheme would help youngsters unlock their potential. 

He added: ‘By providing bursaries to those who need them most and fully funding apprenticeship training, we are making sure cost is not the reason someone misses out.’

Meanwhile, Mr Burnham called for schools to adapt their curriculum to meet the needs of local employers and help stem the youth jobs crisis. The PM said youngsters should be given the chance to focus on technical education from the age of 14.

Business leaders welcomed the move but said Labour must do more to ease the cost of hiring young people after hikes in national insurance and the minimum wage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Cheaters Are Using AI to Hide Affairs—Warning Signs to Spot

A woman says she uncovered her boyfriend’s alleged cheating after a photo…

Remote Finance Boss Sues After France Move Gets Her Fired

A work-from-home finance manager has lost her unfair dismissal claim after relocating…

Newsom Wildfire Plan Sparks California Insurance Rate Revolt

California Gov. Gavin Newsom is drawing backlash over a new wildfire liability…

Hayden Panettiere’s Tragic Connection to Michelle Trachtenberg

Hayden Panettiere and Michelle Trachtenberg helped shape a defining chapter in teen…

Robert Carradine’s Family Sues UCLA Over Actor’s Death at 71

The family of late actor Robert Carradine has taken legal action against…

Davina McCall Completes Nightmare Home Renovation at Last

For Davina McCall, ending her marriage to second husband Matthew Robertson in…

Nancy Mace Fires Back at Online Backlash Over Tattooed Arms

Outgoing Republican Rep. Nancy Mace pushed back after a wave of media…

Trump Threatens to Bomb US Ally in Fiery, Profane Tirade

Donald Trump warned that the United States could “bomb the s***” out…

Hayden Panettiere’s Costar Recalls Worrying Signs on Final Film

Justin Chatwin has reflected on working with Hayden Panettiere in the final…

Alaska Runner Shares Harrowing Bear Attack Survival Story

Professional trail runner Klaire Rhodes has recounted the frightening moments after she…

Husband’s Double Life Exposed After Arrest in Wife’s Murder

A Colorado man is in custody after authorities say the killing of…

Netflix Moves to Toss Tyra Banks Defamation Suit Over ANTM Doc

Netflix is reportedly pushing back against Tyra Banks’ defamation lawsuit, asking the…