Harry launches new African children's charity after bullying row

Prince Harry plans to launch a new charity focused on children in Africa, aiming to overshadow a boardroom adversary who accused him of bullying, as reported by The Mail on Sunday.

The Duke of Sussex last week walked away from Sentebale following a damning report into an explosive race row.

Despite this, insiders report that he is committed to continuing the charity work he started with Prince Seeiso of Lesotho in 2006, in memory of their mothers.

‘The Duke is anxious that the fight against poverty and Aids in Lesotho and Botswana carries on,’ said an insider.

“Harry and Prince Seeiso are eager to collaborate on a new initiative. They are considering starting a new charity or teaming up to support existing organizations doing similar work in the area,” a source revealed.

Recently, a Charity Commission investigation found no evidence supporting the claims made by Sentebale chairman Dr. Sophie Chandauka regarding bullying, harassment, misogyny, and bias against black women.

The Mail on Sunday has found that Harry has escalated the situation by lodging a formal complaint about Dr. Chandauka’s actions, accusing her of rehashing baseless allegations.

A letter from his office to the commission highlights that following the inquiry, Dr. Chandauka revisited her “serious, highly-charged, and damaging accusations.”

Prince Harry is planning to outflank the boardroom rival who accused him of bullying by launching a new African children's charity, The Mail on Sunday can reveal. Pictured: Harry on a visit to Lesotho with Sentebale in 2014

Prince Harry is planning to outflank the boardroom rival who accused him of bullying by launching a new African children’s charity, The Mail on Sunday can reveal. Pictured: Harry on a visit to Lesotho with Sentebale in 2014

A letter to the Charity Commission from Prince Harry's office notes that since the investigation, Dr Chandauka (pictured) had revisited 'serious, highly-charged and damaging allegations'

A letter to the Charity Commission from Prince Harry’s office notes that since the investigation, Dr Chandauka (pictured) had revisited ‘serious, highly-charged and damaging allegations’

The first hint of trouble came in April 2024, when the Duchess of Sussex arrived at a charity polo match unexpectedly, according to Dr Chandauka

The first hint of trouble came in April 2024, when the Duchess of Sussex arrived at a charity polo match unexpectedly, according to Dr Chandauka

It said the claims ‘directly impact’ his other charity work, adding: ‘Ms Chandauka continues to publicly recycle these claims, this time beneath the guise of clarification, all while leveraging the charity’s public platform to do so.

‘This conduct appears to directly contravene your warning about the risks of airing internal disputes in the media and seems to constitute an ongoing misuse of charitable resources for the pursuit of personal vindication.’

Despite rejecting the bullying claims, the Charity Commission found problems in Sentebale’s governance and rebuked ‘all parties’ for allowing the dispute to play out in public. 

However it said Dr Chandauka and the board could remain in place – a decision that left the Duke devastated and complaining of a ‘hostile takeover’.

This newspaper can now reveal startling new details of the background to Dr Chandauka’s 2023 appointment. 

In an email to fellow board members, she requested $3,000 (£2,200) a day for her time, claiming this represented ‘a very significant compromise/pay cut’ as she typically charged £2,500 for 60-minute speaking engagements.

A source said it raised eyebrows among trustees and was in ‘stark contrast to the selfless, pro bono spirit in which most serve’. 

In the event, the Zimbabwean-born lawyer eventually agreed to work pro bono.

Dr Chandauka said that because a clip of the awkward interaction at the polo match went viral, Harry invited her to make a public statement in support of his wife - but she refused

Dr Chandauka said that because a clip of the awkward interaction at the polo match went viral, Harry invited her to make a public statement in support of his wife – but she refused

A statement in March said the relationship with Dr Chandauka was 'broken', 'beyond repair' and 'untenable'. Pictured: The pair at a charity event in South Africa last October

A statement in March said the relationship with Dr Chandauka was ‘broken’, ‘beyond repair’ and ‘untenable’. Pictured: The pair at a charity event in South Africa last October

Other emails show she was originally turned down for the role of chairman, but launched ‘an all-out pressure campaign’ for a formal explanation for her rejection. 

She eventually got the job, with Harry at the time hailing her appointment.

The first hint of trouble came in April 2024, when the Duchess of Sussex ushered the charity boss to the centre of a stage at a polo match. 

Dr Chandauka said that because a clip of the awkward interaction went viral, Harry invited her to make a public statement in support of his wife. 

She refused, saying the charity ‘cannot be an extension of the Sussexes’.

But it was a disagreement over fundraising and a £400,000 bill for consultancy work that caused the relationship to sour further.

In March, Harry and Prince Seeiso, plus some trustees, resigned. A statement said the relationship with Dr Chandauka was ‘broken’, ‘beyond repair’ and ‘untenable’.

On Saturday, it was reported the Lesotho children’s centre run by Sentebale has been ‘effectively mothballed’ amid a funding crisis – until recently, some 700 children with HIV attended its camps.

In a statement after the commission’s report, Sentebale said: ‘The Charity Commission is explicitly clear… that it is not the Commission’s responsibility to adjudicate or mediate internal disputes.

‘The Commission has not investigated any individual allegations and therefore has not made any findings in relation to individuals, including Prince Harry.’

The former trustees also issued a statement rebuking the commission for choosing to ‘ignore key concerns’ over the ‘leadership and oversight’ of Sentebale’s chairman.

Dr Chandauka was approached for comment.

You May Also Like

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Face Epic Humiliation in Latest Royal Setback

Harry and Meghan’s much-vaunted American dream appears to have run out of…

Amazon Drone Delivery Expansion Targets 500 U.S. Cities

Amazon is preparing a major expansion of its drone delivery program that…

Angie Nixon’s Florida Senate Upset Hands DSA Breakthrough as GOP Looms

WASHINGTON — The Democratic Socialists of America notched a major breakthrough in…

Human Error Blamed for Largest-Ever Cyberattack on Charity Sector

A suspected “major human mistake” is believed to have set off what…

US Army Faces Criticism Over Dangerous Reversal on Futuristic Drone and Robot Unit

The US Army is preparing to wind down its drone assault battalion…

Lawsuit Claims 6-Year-Old Girl Died After Freak Badminton Racket Accident

The family of a six-year-old girl killed in a horrifying badminton accident…

Trump Aide Caught in Foul-Mouthed Explosion During Meltdown

It was the sort of spotlight Washington usually directs at presidents, celebrities…

Forecast Models Confirm Super El Niño Is Rapidly Developing

A developing Super El Niño is gaining strength and may rank among…

Sydney Private School Scandal Comes to Light

Three teenage boys accused of sexually assaulting a girl in Sydney over…

Brooklyn Beckham Says Tattoo Tribute to Victoria Beckham Is Almost Gone

Brooklyn Beckham has shown that his once-prominent tattoo tribute to his mother,…

Largest Atlantic Great White on Record Reveals New Location

The largest male great white shark ever documented in the Atlantic has…

Ukrainian Woman Sees Grandson’s Body Pulled From Rubble After Strike

A grandmother’s grief as rescuers recovered her grandson’s body from the ruins…