Putin's ultimatum to Trump as Russia plots 'systematic' Ukraine blitz

Vladimir Putin has delivered a stark warning to Donald Trump, advising him to evacuate American citizens from Kyiv immediately, as a ‘systematic’ assault on the city looms.

On Monday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov contacted U.S. counterpart Marco Rubio, cautioning that Moscow plans to initiate ‘systematic and consistent strikes’ on the Ukrainian capital. Lavrov urged the evacuation of U.S. diplomats and citizens from the area.

Rubio conveyed that Putin specifically requested this message be relayed to Trump, and confirmed he had fulfilled this task.

While en route to Armenia, Rubio addressed the press, stating that although dialogue with Ukraine is currently stalled, the U.S. is prepared to take on a ‘constructive and helpful role’ should the situation allow.

Earlier, the Kremlin issued a statement indicating that the impending attacks would focus on ‘decision-making centers and command posts.’

‘We are advising foreign nationals, including diplomatic and international organization staff, to depart the city at once,’ added the Kremlin.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha urged Kyiv’s allies not to cave to ‘Russian blackmail.’  

Katarina Mathernova, the European Union’s ambassador to Ukraine, vowed the 27-nation bloc was staying put. 

President Donald Trump speaks on the phone inside a vehicle as he returns to the White House in Washington, DC, USA, May 25

Servicemen of the 148th Separate Artillery Zhytomyr Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine fire a BM-21 Grad multiple launch rocket system towards Russian troops, amid Russia’s attack on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine May 25

Russian President Vladimir Putin listens to Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs Alexander Shokhin during their meeting at the Kremlin in Moscow, Tuesday, May 26

‘Russia wants fear, panic, isolation of Ukraine. It will not work. The EU is not going anywhere. We are staying in Kyiv. We are staying with Ukraine,’ she said. 

A spokesperson for France’s foreign ministry was equally defiant: ‘We’re used to Putin’s threats. It is out of the question to evacuate.’ 

Russian strikes on Kyiv over the weekend killed four people and injured around 100 more. 

Moscow claimed those strikes, and any to come, were retaliation for what it called a deliberate Ukrainian attack on a student dormitory in the Russian-occupied city of Starobilsk on Friday. 

The Kremlin said 21 people were killed in that strike, prompting Putin to order retaliation. Ukraine’s military countered that it had hit an elite Russian drone unit in the area, not civilians.  

Russia had issued a similar evacuation call earlier this month, threatening massive strikes on central Kyiv if Ukraine disrupted a military parade on Red Square. 

Russian attacks killed four people and wounded more than a dozen others across eastern Ukraine on Monday, local authorities said. 

A strike on the town of Dergachi in the northeastern Kharkiv region killed two men, aged 68 and 25, and wounded nearly two dozen others, regional governor Oleg Synegubov said.

Russian forces occupied swathes of the Kharkiv border region when they invaded in 2022, but were pushed back months later in a Ukrainian offensive that embarrassed the Kremlin.

Join the discussion

Do you think the Ukraine war is becoming more dangerous?

Secretary of State Marco Rubio disembarks his plane with his wife Jeanette upon arrival in Armenia on May 26

Secretary of State Marco Rubio disembarks his plane with his wife Jeanette upon arrival in Armenia on May 26

A separate attack on Kramatorsk in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region killed two people, the city’s mayor Oleksandr Goncharenko said on Facebook.

Russia launched its full-scale offensive in February 2022, and the conflict has since spiraled into Europe’s deadliest since World War II. 

Kyiv has spent the years since lobbying allies to help push Putin’s forces back, and pressing Washington in particular to expand missile production, so far to no avail. 

Volodymyr Zelensky admitted on Monday that Ukraine had made little headway in talks with Washington on expanding missile defense production and was now turning to Europe to fill the gap. 

‘Unfortunately, there has been no progress for a long time with America regarding the expansion of anti-ballistic missile production,’ he said. 

‘We are trying to accelerate this work in Europe, the production of our own anti-ballistic systems on the continent in sufficient quantities.’

Zelensky said Ukraine was continuing to press Washington for help and insisted US leadership remained vital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Kate’s Private Message as Meghan and Harry Return to UK

Harry and Meghan’s unexpected move to base themselves once again in Britain…

Major Burger Chain Rolls Out $4 Value Menu as Fast-Food Price War Heats Up

Whataburger is making a bold play in the fast-food value wars, rolling…

US Demands China Free American Lured There, Held for Spying

The State Department on Thursday urged China to free a U.S. citizen…

Hayden Panettiere’s On-Off Boyfriend Speaks Out After Brother Jansen’s Tragic Death

Brian Hickerson, the on-and-off boyfriend of Hayden Panettiere, has issued a statement…

Starry Cotswolds Pubs Where Harry and Meghan May Meet A-Listers

The Cotswolds, where Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are said to be…

Friends Reveal Why Harry and Meghan’s Move Could Be Forever

After years of tension, public accusations and bruising headlines — not to…

Meghan Markle May Return to Acting If She Comes Back to Britain

The Duchess of Sussex may be poised for a return to acting…

New York Times Loses Defamation Lawsuit Involving Former College Basketball Star

The New York Times must pay $9.25 million in damages after an…

Why Pete Hegseth’s Wife Is Reportedly Always by His Side

Once known in conservative media circles for a combative, “bad-boy” persona, Defense…

Women Left Behind in AI Jobs Boom as Hires Hit Just 26%

The artificial intelligence boom is fueling a surge in high-paying new jobs,…

Michael Cohen Refers to Trump as ‘Boss’ in Radio Interview, Says He’ll Contact DOJ About Pardon

WASHINGTON — Michael Cohen, once known as President Trump’s hard-charging personal “fixer,”…

Kennedy: The Moment Meghan Markle Lost America

Did Meghan Markle happen to notice the elegant custom calligraphy displayed on…