Sacramento homeowner faces $100K in fines after U-Haul trailer firework show

A Northern California homeowner who staged a large Fourth of July fireworks display using illegal explosives is now facing a staggering $100,000 fine.

Sacramento fire officials said crews documented numerous illegal fireworks being launched during an Independence Day gathering at a home in Del Paso Heights.

“We had drones in the sky and crews traveling around town,” Sacramento Fire Department Captain Justin Sylvia told The California Post.

“We watched them for quite a significant time. We sat there, watched and counted.”

According to Sylvia, crews also observed people at the property repeatedly unloading illegal explosives from a U-Haul trailer.

Video from the neighborhood captured a full aerial show, with burst after burst of colorful lights exploding overhead — the kind of display many people typically wait hours to watch from a carefully chosen viewing spot.

The unauthorized spectacle also drew plenty of attention online, where social media users quickly weighed in on the display.

“Del Paso Heights was lit up like Disneyland last night,” one person captioned their video on TikTok.

“That’s cruel and unusual punishment.. ‘the punishment shall not exceed the crime’ and there’s no victim or damages. 100k is insane. It’s not about safety, it’s about revenue,” a second person wrote about the fine.

Many others wondered what kind of money a person would have to be able to purchase the amount of illegal explosives needed to set off so many.

“An entire hour long, above professional level presentation, including firework colors we had never seen before,” a person wrote on Instagram.

“I just kept wondering how they have MONEY like that.”

A total of 70 citations have been issued so far in the city, totaling a minimum of $300,000 in fines, and it’s just from the Fourth of July, officials said.


Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters

Sylvia said he expects those numbers to increase, as this doesn’t count all the citations for illegal fireworks on July 2 and 3rd that were set off in the city.

In Sacramento, the first fine for illegal fireworks is $1,000, the second is $2,500, and the third is $5,000.

Every fine after that is issued for $5,000. In addition, there’s a $10,000 fine if the explosives are used around schools, parks or critical infrastructure.

Sylvia’s message to the community, “Don’t use illegal fireworks.”

He also said patrols from the sky will increase next year, going from two drones to four. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

After His Dad Died, My 9-Year-Old Son Turned to ChatGPT for Comfort

In the years after her husband John was killed suddenly in a…

Trump-Backed Rep. Harriet Hageman, Who Ousted Liz Cheney, Eyes Higher Office in Deep-Red Wyoming

Wyoming Republicans on Tuesday selected Rep. Harriet Hageman, R-Wyo., as their nominee…

Sandra Bullock Shares Rare Glimpse of Life With Her Kids in New Photos

Sandra Bullock offered followers an unusually personal look at life away from…

Widow Sues Las Vegas Hotel Over Husband’s Death at Resort

A grieving widow has filed a lawsuit against a Las Vegas resort,…

Erin Patterson Appeals Three Murder Convictions in Australia Mushroom Poisoning of Elderly Relatives

Convicted triple murderer Erin Patterson returned to court Wednesday to challenge her…

Egg-Linked Salmonella Outbreak Kills 1, Sickens Hundreds

One person has died and hundreds more have been taken ill following…

Texas Dad Accused of Killing Wife After Police Find Key Clue

A Texas man accused in the violent death of his estranged wife…

Fatal Attraction Icon Glenn Close, 78, Stuns Fans With Glamorous New Look

Anne Archer, the Oscar-nominated actress who helped define one of the biggest…

Diane Keaton’s Former Los Angeles Mansion Sells for Millions Under Asking Price

Diane Keaton’s former Los Angeles home in Sullivan Canyon has sold for…

Azerbaijan Sues CNN Over Alleged Fake Iran War Coverage

CNN has been hit with a defamation lawsuit over a June report…

Karmelo Anthony Secures Major Legal Victory in Murder Conviction Case

Karmelo Anthony, the teenager convicted in the fatal stabbing of Austin Metcalf,…

Archaeologists Uncover Skeletal Remains in Peru Believed to Be Ancient Ritual Offering

LIMA, Peru — Archaeologists in Peru have presented newly uncovered human skeletal…