Brit has children taken away after he took them to live off-grid

A British father has found himself in a dire situation after Italian authorities removed his three children from his care following a mushroom poisoning incident. The family, who had ventured into off-grid living, faced a serious health scare that led to this drastic measure.

Nathan Trevallion, a 51-year-old former chef hailing from Bristol, had been residing in a dilapidated farmhouse in Italy’s central Abruzzo region. He shared this back-to-nature lifestyle with his Australian wife, Catherine Birmingham, and their three young children—an eight-year-old daughter and six-year-old twin sons.

In 2021, Trevallion purchased the property with hopes of embracing a self-sustaining lifestyle. However, this idyllic vision turned into a nightmare in September 2024 when the family unwittingly consumed poisonous mushrooms, necessitating emergency medical attention for all five members.

Tragically, as a consequence of this incident, the authorities have now taken custody of the children, leaving the family in distress. In an interview with Corriere Della Sera, Trevallion expressed his heartbreak: “Yes, unfortunately, it happened, and it was terrible. They took our children away from us.”

The three children have now been removed from the care of Mr Trevallion.

He told Corriere Della Sera: ‘Yes, unfortunately, it happened, and it was terrible. They took our children away from us.’

With parental rights now suspended, the children have been placed in a foster home, and a guardian is set to be assigned to care for them.

Social services arrived on the scene alongside five officers to remove the children from the house in the woods. But mother Catherine Birmingham was able to accompany them to the protected facility and spend the first night with them. 

‘Otherwise the shock would have been truly unbearable,’ the family’s lawyer, Giovanni Angelucci, said.

Nathan Trevallion, a 51-year-old ex-chef from Bristol, lived in a run-down farmhouse in the Abruzzo region of central Italy with his Australian wife Catherine Birmingham and their three children, an eight-year-old girl and six-year-old twin boys

Nathan Trevallion, a 51-year-old ex-chef from Bristol, lived in a run-down farmhouse in the Abruzzo region of central Italy with his Australian wife Catherine Birmingham and their three children, an eight-year-old girl and six-year-old twin boys 

The family relied on solar power for electricity and a well for water because their home is located six miles from the nearest small village

The family relied on solar power for electricity and a well for water because their home is located six miles from the nearest small village 

Mr Trevallion spent his first night and morning alone in the farmhouse, and told the Italian news outlet that he would deliver toys and clothes to his children on Friday morning.

But the case has caused a stir online, with over 13,000 having signed a petition in support of the family and their choices to live off-grid.

The family relied on solar power for electricity and a well for water because their home is located six miles from the nearest small village.

The children were also homeschooled and authorities said they had inadequate access to healthcare.

Earlier this month, Ms Birmingham claimed police had ‘bullied and harassed’ her and her family. 

She claimed they had to flee the property three times after police showed up theatening to take their children away.

She told the Telegraph: ‘They saw we were living off grid and they labelled our house a crumbling ruin. The kids were really traumatised.’

The family’s lawyer, Angelucci, had insisted the children were in ‘perfect health’.

‘They are in better physical condition than most children,’ he said, adding: ‘There is no evidence of maltreatment.’

In an effort to prove their claims, Trevallion invited a local media outlet to the family’s cottage to reveal how they lived.

He reportedly said in broken Italian: ‘There are cracks in the walls, but the walls are strong.

‘We are a clean family. Every day we sweep the floor’.

In a statement to the court, Trevallion and Birmingham said: ‘We consciously changed our own lives… to provide our children with parents that are able to be at home with them, food, air and water that is clean, and an environment that not only is beneficial to their brain and physical development but, most importantly, a connection.’ 

You May Also Like

Hayden Panettiere Ex Brian Hickerson’s DV Comments Resurface

Brian Hickerson, Hayden Panettiere’s on-and-off boyfriend and a convicted felon, openly discussed…

Stellantis Worker Killed by Robot During Car Factory Retooling

A veteran Detroit-area auto worker was killed after being crushed by a…

Tom Holland Could Score Nine-Figure Payday in Massive New Spider-Man Deal

Tom Holland appears poised for a massive payday from the summer box…

Celine Dion Reveals Comeback Plans Amid Health Battle

Celine Dion is preparing for what fans are hoping will be a…

Search for Wealthy Mystery Man Unable to State His Own Name

A man at the center of a growing international identification mystery may…

MLB Team Staffer Raised in Venezuela Detained by ICE

Oswaldo Jose Pirela, who works as a minor league catching coordinator for…

Drunk Couple Barge Into Neighboring Cabin, Sheriff Says

An allegedly intoxicated couple on a cruise ship cut their vacation short…

Taxi Driver Pocketed Over £30k in Fake Dog Death Claims

A taxi driver who fabricated a series of dead dogs to fuel…

Anthony Albanese’s International Travel Bill Reaches $4 Million for Taxpayers

Anthony Albanese’s taxpayer-funded travel bill topped $4million last financial year, with new…

Former College Football Star’s Cause of Death Revealed at 24

Four months after former Wisconsin Badgers football player Jack Pugh died unexpectedly…

Wladimir Klitschko Breaks Silence After Death of Hayden Panettiere’s Brother Jansen

Wladimir Klitschko, the former fiancé of Hayden Panettiere, has broken his silence…

Trump Plans Honor Lap Before IndyCar Freedom 250 at National Mall

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s motorcade is expected to take a ceremonial lap…