Knifeman in train rampage 'had history of mental health issues' 

In a shocking incident on a train bound for London, an attacker stabbed 11 passengers while menacingly proclaiming to one, “The Devil is not going to win.” This harrowing episode unfolded over 14 minutes on the 6:25 service departing from Doncaster, as the assailant moved through the train’s carriages with a knife.

Thanks to the quick-thinking train driver, the train made an unscheduled stop at Huntingdon station, where police were ready to apprehend the suspect. Video footage, captured by the Daily Mail, reveals the chaos as terrified passengers rushed along the platform, desperately trying to escape the hooded individual who followed with a large knife in hand.

Upon arrival at the station, law enforcement officers swiftly subdued the attacker using a taser, and he was subsequently taken into custody. Meanwhile, emergency responders transported nine severely injured passengers to the hospital and provided on-site treatment to others shaken by the ordeal.

While authorities have ruled out terrorism as a motive, sources indicate that the suspect has a history of mental health issues and was previously known to law enforcement agencies.

The police then tasered and arrested the man as medics rushed nine seriously injured passengers to hospital and treated other dazed commuters at the scene.

While terrorism has been ruled out, sources confirmed that the suspect had a history of mental-health issues and was known to the authorities.

After a second man arrested on the train was released without charge, British Transport Police (BTP) were last night holding a 32-year-old black British man, from Peterborough, on suspicion of attempted murder. 

He is said to have begun his onslaught on Saturday minutes after boarding the train in his hometown, where the Doncaster to London King’s Cross service arrived at 7.30pm.

Chilling: The black-clad man holding a knife strolls away from the train after causing carnage. Sources confirmed that the suspect had a history of mental-health issues and was known to the authorities previously

Chilling: The black-clad man holding a knife strolls away from the train after causing carnage. Sources confirmed that the suspect had a history of mental-health issues and was known to the authorities previously

Terrified passengers were seen running along Huntingdon station's platform 2 trying to escape

Terrified passengers were seen running along Huntingdon station’s platform 2 trying to escape

Within minutes of leaving the station, the knifeman launched his stabbing spree and the alarm was raised in Coach J, as passengers began to flee through the carriages. He then made his way down the corridor towards the back of the train, stabbing as he went, with wounded passengers’ blood soaking the seats as they fled ahead of him.

Some locked themselves in lavatories, others hid in the cafe section, pulling down the shutters.

One woman, Dayna Arnold, 48, boarded the train with her partner, Andy Gray, 37, minutes before the incident began. The couple were in Coach J and she was separated from Mr Gray as people ran for their lives.

Ms Arnold had fallen to the floor when the suspect stood over her with a 6in blade and she begged him not to hurt her.

She said: ‘I was running and when I looked back I saw the knifeman running after me. I fell down and I said, ‘Please don’t.’ Something shifted in his face and he just carried on. He said, ‘The Devil is not going to win.’

The train then made an unscheduled stop at Huntingdon station at around 7.41pm, where officers were waiting.

Exclusive videos obtained by the Daily Mail showed blood-stained passengers sprinting down the platform to get away once the train had stopped.

In the footage, a rail worker can be seen walking backwards keeping his eyes on the knifeman as he urged the public to ‘move down, move down’ and ‘run, please’.

 Video then showed the attacker had jumped down from the platform and crossed a section of track, before climbing a fence and walking through the car park brandishing his large blade. Separate video taken by a taxi driver then shows the knifeman shouting ‘kill me, kill me’, as he is bundled to the ground by half a dozen armed officers.

Two people remain in a life-threatening condition in hospital, including an LNER worker who was being hailed a hero last night for trying to stop the attack.

Stuart Cundy, Deputy Chief Constable of the BTP said: ‘My thoughts are with those injured and their families – especially the brave member of rail staff whose family are being supported by specialist officers. Having viewed the CCTV from the train, the actions of the member of rail staff were nothing short of heroic and undoubtedly saved people’s lives.’

Police originally designated the incident as coming under ‘Code Plato’, meaning it was considered a ‘marauding terror attack’, but terror police were later removed from the inquiry.

A second man, described as a 35-year-old Briton of Caribbean descent was arrested but was yesterday released.

Superintendent John Loveless of British Transport Police said the force ‘declared a major incident, and counter-terrorism policing were initially supporting our investigation. However, at this stage, there is nothing to suggest that this is a terrorist incident’.

David Horne, managing director of LNER, said: ‘We are deeply shocked and saddened by the incident and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected, particularly our colleague who remains in a life-threatening condition.

In one video, a man was seen holding a rag to his head as crimson-coloured blood seeped through

In one video, a man was seen holding a rag to his head as crimson-coloured blood seeped through

‘I would like to thank the emergency services for their quick and professional response and the care they provided to those injured. I would also like to recognise the driver, crew and our operational response colleagues for their bravery and quick actions.’

King Charles said he was ‘truly appalled and shocked to hear of the dreadful knife attack’ adding: ‘Our deepest sympathy and thoughts are with all those affected, and their loved ones.’

Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood praised the ‘exceptional bravery of staff and passengers’ on the train.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch said the attack showed there was ‘clearly something going wrong with our society’. LNER services between London and Peterborough were expected to be disrupted until the end of the day.

You May Also Like

Taylor Sheridan Cancels Yellowstone Spinoff, Shocking Fans

Yellowstone creator Taylor Sheridan has confirmed that the long-rumored 6666 spin-off is…

FBI Agents Seize Rep. Eric Swalwell’s Electronics at San Francisco Airport

Federal agents met Eric Swalwell at San Francisco Airport on Saturday with…

King Charles Reportedly Blindsided by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Move Back to Britain

King Charles is understood to have been caught off guard by news…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Face Epic Humiliation in Latest Royal Setback

Harry and Meghan’s much-vaunted American dream appears to have run out of…

Trump Aide Caught in Foul-Mouthed Explosion During Meltdown

It was the sort of spotlight Washington usually directs at presidents, celebrities…

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Set to Move Back to the UK

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are preparing to return to the United…

Forecast Models Confirm Super El Niño Is Rapidly Developing

A developing Super El Niño is gaining strength and may rank among…

How Prince Harry and Meghan’s American Ventures Fell Short of Expectations

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported plan to bring their family back…

Australian Hiker Lily Hooper Found Dead After Family Was Mistakenly Told She Was Alive

An 18-year-old Australian hiker has been found dead more than a week…

Sandra Bullock Breaks Silence After Longtime Partner Bryan Randall’s Death From ALS

Sandra Bullock is speaking publicly for the first time about the loss…

Karmelo Anthony’s Lawyer Shares Personal Puberty Detail During Case

A murder trial that exposed deep racial divisions across the country came…

Amazon Drone Delivery Expansion Targets 500 U.S. Cities

Amazon is preparing a major expansion of its drone delivery program that…