Trump's secret new plan to confront Iran hit by roadblock

Donald Trump’s strategy to resolve the impasse with Iran over a crucial shipping route, responsible for transporting 20% of the world’s oil, has left energy industry leaders puzzled. Despite ongoing assaults from Tehran, the corridor remains largely inactive.

According to insiders, Trump has expressed his frustration to key advisers over the stagnant “no deal, no war” situation concerning the Strait of Hormuz. This vital passage has been a focal point of tension between the two nations.

“The president is seeking action. He doesn’t want to remain idle. He seeks to exert pressure and reach an agreement,” a U.S. official revealed in a report by Axios.

On Thursday night, Trump reviewed plans that included deploying a U.S. naval warship to forcibly clear the strait. However, he ultimately decided against immediate military intervention, opting for a more measured response instead.

Nevertheless, by Sunday night, Trump announced that the U.S. would provide escort for oil tankers stranded in the Persian Gulf, though he did not elaborate on the specifics.

The U.S. Central Command later confirmed that the Navy would assist in ensuring the safe passage of commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz. This operation, named “Project Freedom,” intends to guide ships in avoiding mines and shielding them from potential Iranian threats.

Tehran, meanwhile, has continued launching drones at oil tankers and warned shipping magnates not to move through the waterway without the regime’s full approval. The closure of the strait has driven gas prices to some of their highest levels since 2022, averaging $4.40 a gallon, up 30 cents in a week.

Trump’s messaging has left shipowners and oil executives confused by the lack of concrete details, while fears of further escalation from Iran remain a key concern, according to Bloomberg. 

Donald Trump’s plan to break the standoff with Iran over a shipping corridor that carries one-fifth of the world’s oil has left energy executives baffled

Tehran, meanwhile, has continued launching drones at oil tankers and warned shipping magnates not to move through the waterway without the regime’s full approval

Tankers are seen here anchored in the Strait off the coast of Qeshm Island in Iran last month

‘Project Freedom’ will reportedly include a vast number of guided-missile destroyers, drones, more than 100 land and sea-based aircraft, and the infantry support of 15,000 troops, CENTCOM announced. 

Another US official told Axios that military officers have been authorized to strike immediate threats to naval assets, including Iran’s speedboats.

Iran has managed to effectively close off the Strait of Hormuz in recent months through a combination of small attack boats, drones, and sea mines laid in the narrow waterway.

US forces have also established an ‘enhanced security area’ that advises oil vessels to cross the waterway through Omani waters. 

However, vessel traffic remains at a standstill, with most ships transiting Hormuz using the Iranian traffic separation scheme rather than Trump’s “Project Freedom” corridor closer to Oman.

These developments come as Iranian state media claims the regime fired a ‘warning shot’ at a US warship on Monday to stop it from entering the Strait of Hormuz. 

State media had previously reported that the frigate was ‘targeted by a missile attack after ignoring a warning from the Iranian navy’ – a claim that CENTCOM promptly denied.

Writing on X, US Central Command said: ‘No US Navy ships have been struck. US forces are supporting Project Freedom and enforcing the naval blockade on Iranian ports.’

Iran has managed to effectively close off the Strait of Hormuz in recent months through a combination of small attack boats, drones, and sea mines laid in the narrow waterway

Ships and boats in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 4

Ships and boats in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 4

A spokesperson for Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) declared that any vessel violating the Islamic Republic’s maritime rules will be stopped by force, in a statement carried by the Fars News agency.

Iran’s navy issued a new map of the area of the Strait of Hormuz under its control on Monday.

The area starts in the west with a line between the westernmost tip of Iran’s Qeshm island to the United Arab Emirates’ Umm al Quwain emirate. In the east, the area stops at a line between Iran’s Mount Mobarak and the UAE’s Emirate of Fujairah.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Trump Urges South Carolina Crowd to Vote as If He’s on the Ballot

Donald Trump urged his supporters in South Carolina to treat Tuesday’s runoff…

Trump Warns SC Voters They’ll Lose Everything If Graham Falls

President Trump called on South Carolina Republicans on Friday to treat the…

Dolly Parton, 80, Reveals Heartbreaking Cause Behind Recent Health Issues

Dolly Parton has opened up about the deeply personal reason behind her…

Noah’s Ark Mystery Deepens as New Scans Suggest Ancient Formation Is More Than Rock

A strange, boat-like formation tucked into the mountains of eastern Turkey has…

Student Killed After 18-Year-Old Armed With Sword Attacks School in Sweden

GENEVA — A sword attack at a school in central Sweden left…

Prince Harry Should Heed the Crucial Differences Between His Life and Princess Diana’s

Wherever one turns, a single presence seems to loom over Prince Harry’s…

Washington, DC Turns Into IndyCar Track for America 250 Finale

IndyCar drivers thundered down Pennsylvania Avenue on Saturday, turning one of Washington’s…

Met Guard Ruins Proposal by Telling Kneeling Groom to Get Up

Talk about telling love to take a hike. A couple’s picture-perfect marriage…

Woman, 47, Dies at Jail Booking After Saying She Couldn’t Breathe

An Oregon woman arrested after an incident at a Kentucky Fried Chicken…

Mandelson Police Investigation at Risk of Collapse, Sources Say

The Metropolitan Police investigation into claims that Lord Mandelson may have passed…

Trump Official Urges Return of Academic Suspended Over Jason Arday Row

Donald Trump’s ambassador to Belgium has intervened in a widening academic free…

Prince Harry’s Secret Visit Near Trump Before UK Reveal

Away from the cameras and with little advance notice, Prince Harry carried…