Share this @internewscast.com

The attorney representing Officer Stephen Hicks has clarified that the child involved in the recent skate park incident was not using an e-bike but rather a high-speed battery-powered motorcycle, which is prohibited in the area.
In Jacksonville Beach, Florida, the legal representative for an officer from the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, who faces accusations of forcefully bringing a teenager to the ground at a skate park, claims the officer was acting to protect other children from the potential hazards posed by a motorized motorcycle, contrary to earlier reports of it being an e-bike.
Philip Vogelsang, serving as the general counsel for the Fraternal Order of Police, informed First Coast News that the incident on January 17 at Sunshine Park skate park involved a powerful battery-operated motorcycle that could reach speeds of up to 50 mph.
“The vehicle in question was essentially a motorcycle powered by a battery, capable of reaching 50 miles per hour,” Vogelsang explained.
Footage of the altercation, which First Coast News acquired from a parent present at the location, depicts 36-year-old Stephen Hicks, a Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office officer with five years of service, removing the teenager from the motorcycle and bringing him to the ground.
At the time of the incident, Hicks was off-duty and spending the day with his family, as confirmed by the sheriff’s office.
Witnesses told police he showed his badge afterward. Hicks now faces a misdemeanor battery charge and has been released on bond. He’s been reassigned within JSO pending the investigation, with his next court hearing set for Feb. 17.
Vogelsang argues riders of that bike need to have a motorcycle license, be 16 years or older, and be restricted to roadways, not skate parks.
“This was a motorcycle, so the crime of reckless driving was being committed at a park where a child could have been killed by a vehicle, and this officer chose to put the safety of the public first,” he said.
He said multiple parents had already warned the kids to stop riding before Hicks intervened.
A witness previously told First Coast News, “They were both on the wrong side, but like that wasn’t fair to do that to the kid.”
“The actions of the officer, that’s, no. I mean, that’s, that’s too much,” he said.
A child who saw it all unfold called the officer’s actions “frightening.”
JSO internal records show Hicks has faced eight investigations since 2022, including five chargeable traffic crashes, which Vogelsang called routine and automatically investigated per policy.
He received informal counseling in 2022 for a response-to-resistance violation and in 2023 for a secondary employment issue. A 2024 allegation of unnecessary use of force was reviewed, but officials determined Hicks acted lawfully.
“The only discipline he’s ever received was for a traffic crash, and those are automatically, it’s not a complaint filed by a citizen,” Vogelsang said. “Every traffic crash is on an officer’s record.”
Vogelsang urged patience with the process and said that despite his disciplinary record, Hicks was doing what he believed was right to protect others.
“Unfortunately, he has to now go through this process for what he perceived as being a good deed that day and helping prevent a child from being seriously injured,” Vogelsang said. “Let the investigation play out. There’s a criminal investigation that’s there for a reason, and those facts are gonna come to fruition. His intervening that day potentially saved a kid’s life.”