Australia to ban Iranian visa holders, citing ‘national interest’

Australia Implements Visa Ban on Iranian Nationals Over ‘National Interest’ Concerns

In a move sparking debate, the Australian government is set to implement new measures that will restrict the re-entry of Iranians holding temporary visas. These new regulations come into effect this Thursday, targeting individuals with visitor visas (subclass 600) linked to Iranian passports who are currently outside Australia.

This decision follows over four weeks after the unexpected military actions by the United States and Israel against Iran. Typically, individuals with such visas are granted permission to stay in Australia for up to 12 months, generally for purposes like tourism, business, or family visits.

However, under the freshly imposed restrictions, only those who are spouses, de facto partners, or dependents of Australian citizens or permanent residents, as well as parents of minors under 18 residing in Australia, will be eligible to enter the country. This policy is set to remain in place for a period of six months.

The Australian government justifies these changes as a measure to enhance the integrity of its migration system, citing national interest concerns. They stress that the ongoing conflict involving Iran could potentially lead to situations where temporary visa holders might be unable or unwilling to leave Australia upon the expiration of their visas.

Officials argue that the new regulations will provide the government with the necessary time to evaluate individual cases while maintaining some degree of flexibility for exceptional circumstances. This approach aims to balance national security concerns with humanitarian considerations.

It warned the war against Iran increased the risk temporary visa holders may be unlikely or unable to depart Australia when their visa expired, and that the new measures would afford government time to assess cases, while still allowing “flexibility in limited cases”.

“There are many visitor visas which were issued before the conflict in Iran which may not have been issued if they were applied for now,” Home Affairs Minister Tony burke said.

“Decisions about permanent stays in Australia should be deliberate decisions of the government, not a random consequence of who had booked a holiday.

“The Australian government is closely monitoring global developments and will adjust settings as required to ensure Australia’s migration system remains orderly, fair and sustainable.”

Under the changes, a person issued an active Permitted Travel Certificate – including people who may have already departed for Australia – or holding another time of visa may be allowed entry.

The changes would also not prohibit people outside Australia from applying for a new visa.

In limited cases involving parents of Australian citizens, “sympathetic consideration” would also be given, the government said.

Developed in consultation with the Iranian diaspora, the changes faced pushback when they were first introduced and passed in parliament earlier this month.

At the time, Asylum Seeker Resource Centre Chief Executive Kon Karapanagiotidis said the rules “shut the door” on people seeking safety in Australia.

“If people already have a visa to travel to Australia, and this kind of violence has broken out in their home country – why would we not want to help them?” he said.

“On the very same day that the Government has acted so swiftly and compassionately to protect members of the Iranian women’s soccer team, they want to slam the door on family members of Australian citizens.”

Burke offered asylum to members of the Iranian women’s soccer team earlier this month – however, only two players ultimately followed through and remained in Australia.

Senator David Shoebridge, Greens spokesperson on Immigration, claimed the government had supported an “illegal” war on Iran driven by “the lie that it was to support the Iranian people”.

“Today, we see with 100% clarity what the Albanese government thinks of the safety of the Iranian people as they shut the door on protection for people with a visa to come here,” Senator Shoebridge continued.

“The Labor Party cynically used the plight of everyday Iranians to justify their support for this latest US forever war, and it has now dropped them when they are no longer of ‘use’.

You May Also Like

NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory - Internewscast Journal

NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory

This one came down to the wire. Vincent Iwuchukwu, the pro basketball…
Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States - Internewscast Journal

Alfalfa Sprouts Recalled as E. Coli, Salmonella Hit 15 States

Federal health officials said Friday that a multistate outbreak involving E. coli…
California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings - Internewscast Journal

California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings

A rapidly spreading wildfire near the Tahoe region has grown to about…
Mother Says Son’s Organs Were Removed Without Consent After Fatal Car Crash - Internewscast Journal

Mother Says Son’s Organs Were Removed Without Consent After Fatal Car Crash

Andrea Mauk was thousands of miles from home when she learned her…
New Costco Plan Raises Traffic Fears Among Bakersfield Neighbors - Internewscast Journal

New Costco Plan Raises Traffic Fears Among Bakersfield Neighbors

A proposed Costco, fuel station and cluster of restaurants could transform a…
Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made - Internewscast Journal

Deadly California High School Football Shooting: Arrest Made

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested after a gang-related shooting at a…
Ceuta Residents Fear Spain Isn’t Doing Enough to Prevent Another Migrant Surge - Internewscast Journal

Ceuta Residents Fear Spain Isn’t Doing Enough to Prevent Another Migrant Surge

People living in Ceuta, Spain’s North African enclave on the Moroccan border,…
Hofstra Professor Faces Firing Over Word Salad Remark - Internewscast Journal

Hofstra Professor Faces Firing Over Word Salad Remark

A Hofstra University political science professor says he has spent nearly a…
Tupac Shakur murder trial's first week sees heated testimony from reluctant witnesses with old gangland ties

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Opens With Heated Testimony From Reluctant Witnesses With Gang Ties

The opening week of the long-awaited murder trial in Tupac Shakur’s killing…
Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute

Judge removed from Karmelo Anthony self-defense case A Texas court removed Judge…
Gunman Fires Wildly on Brooklyn Street, Shoots Dog and Narrowly Misses Developmentally Disabled Woman - Internewscast Journal

Gunman Fires Wildly on Brooklyn Street, Shoots Dog and Narrowly Misses Developmentally Disabled Woman

Police are searching for a gunman who opened fire on a Brooklyn…
AOC Says She Has Completed Egg Retrieval, Promises More Updates on Fertility Journey - Internewscast Journal

AOC Says She Has Completed Egg Retrieval, Promises More Updates on Fertility Journey

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has finished her egg-freezing process and says she plans…