Judge says Trump administration can't use travel ban to keep 80 refugees out of the US

Court Blocks Trump Administration’s Use of Travel Ban to Exclude 80 Refugees from Entering U.S.

A federal judge has prohibited the Trump administration from applying its travel ban to prevent 80 already-vetted refugees from entering the United States.

On Monday, U.S. District Judge Jamal Whitehead in Seattle ruled that President Donald Trump’s June order, which bans people from 12 countries from entering the U.S., “expressly states” that it does not affect individuals seeking refugee status.

This order, named “Proclamation 10949—Restricting The Entry of Foreign Nationals to Protect the United States from Foreign Terrorists and Other National Security and Public Safety Threats,” includes a clause specifying that its provisions should not be interpreted to restrict an individual’s ability to pursue asylum, refugee status, withholding of removal, or protection under the CAT, in accordance with U.S. laws.

In his ruling, Whitehead said “by its plain terms, the Proclamation excludes refugees from its scope.”

Barring refugees from entering the U.S. would limit their ability to seek refugee status and therefore run counter to the Republican president’s order, the judge added.

He ordered the administration to immediately resume processing 80 “presumptively protected refugees” that were rejected based on the travel ban.

The State Department did not immediately have comment Tuesday.

Whitehead also laid out a process for the government to vet refugees from the countries covered by the travel ban and other countries who were denied entry when the president suspended the nation’s refugee admissions program within hours of taking office on Jan. 20.

The decision left thousands of refugees who had already gone through a sometimes years-long vetting process to start new lives in America stranded at various locations around the world, including relatives of active-duty U.S. military personnel and more than 1,600 Afghans who assisted America’s war efforts.

Under a framework established by an appellate court, those refugees should be admitted if they had previously been cleared for travel to the U.S., had arranged and confirmable travel plans and had taken steps such as selling property or giving up their home that showed a reliance on the U.S. government’s assurance of their refugee status.

The administration has previously said 12,000 people had been approved and booked for travel as refugees before it suspended the refugee program. Many of those cases will now have to be examined individually to see whether they meet the appeals court’s criteria for entry.

The lawsuit Whitehead is overseeing was filed in February by some individual refugees along with refugee aid organizations who said the administration froze their funding. The plaintiffs later asked the judge to make the case a class-action lawsuit so that the rulings could apply to other refugees facing similar circumstances.

Whitehead said the suspension likely amounted to a nullification of congressional will, since Congress created and funded the refugee admissions program. He issued a preliminary injunction barring the federal government from suspending refugee processing and refugee aid funding.

But the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals put most of that decision on hold in March, finding the administration was likely to win the case because the president has broad authority to determine who is allowed to enter the country. The appeals court later set out the criteria for admitting some of the refugees.

You May Also Like

Mamdani’s NYC Housing Pick Criticized ‘Homeowner Cartels’ - Internewscast Journal

Mamdani’s NYC Housing Pick Criticized ‘Homeowner Cartels’

A housing nominee selected by Mayor Zohran Mamdani is facing scrutiny from…
At Least 5 Dead in Indiana as Severe Weather Sweeps State - Internewscast Journal

At Least 5 Dead in Indiana as Severe Weather Sweeps State

At least five people have been killed after days of powerful storms…
Massive 3.6M-Year-Old Megalodon Tooth Found on Jersey Shore - Internewscast Journal

Massive 3.6M-Year-Old Megalodon Tooth Found on Jersey Shore

Call it a truly toothsome treasure from the deep. A Pennsylvania father…
Democrats Favor Socialism Over Capitalism by Wide Margin, New Poll Finds - Internewscast Journal

Democrats Favor Socialism Over Capitalism by Wide Margin, New Poll Finds

WASHINGTON — Democrats are now far more likely to view socialism favorably…
NYC Woman Dies After Being Struck by Stray Bullet - Internewscast Journal

NYC Woman Dies After Being Struck by Stray Bullet

A 33-year-old woman who police say was not involved in a Brooklyn…
Del Mar Calls for Probe of Rob Bonta Over Housing, Donations - Internewscast Journal

Del Mar Calls for Probe of Rob Bonta Over Housing, Donations

A long-running fight over housing in one of Southern California’s most affluent…
Historic Vessels Sunk in NYC Basin Face Scrapyard Fate - Internewscast Journal

Historic Vessels Sunk in NYC Basin Face Scrapyard Fate

Two landmark vessels — one of them pictured on Maine’s state quarter…
Lexington, KY Park Shooting at Live Show Kills 1, Injures 4 - Internewscast Journal

Lexington, KY Park Shooting at Live Show Kills 1, Injures 4

One person was fatally shot and four others were wounded Saturday during…
Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War - Internewscast Journal

Why Diego Garcia Is Integral to US Strategy in Iran War

Iran fires missiles toward US-UK military base President Trump’s warning that he…
Border Wall Construction on Reservation Approved, Clearing Way for New Barriers - Internewscast Journal

Border Wall Construction on Reservation Approved, Clearing Way for New Barriers

A federal judge has allowed border wall construction in Arizona to move…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Al Sharpton Urges Nolan Wells Death Probe if Democrats Win House - Internewscast Journal

Al Sharpton Urges Nolan Wells Death Probe if Democrats Win House

Al Sharpton is urging Democrats to pursue a congressional probe into the…