FDA gives approval for tobacco, menthol Juul cartridges
Share this @internewscast.com

The FDA decision applies to both tobacco- and menthol-flavored versions of the reusable product, which works with nicotine-filled cartridge.

WASHINGTON — The Food and Drug Administration has decided to permit Juul to continue selling its e-cigarettes, providing a boost to a company that has faced challenges after being largely held accountable for the rise in teen vaping.

The FDA announced on Thursday that Juul’s research indicates their e-cigarettes pose less risk to adult smokers, who might benefit from making the switch to vaping.

This decision by the FDA includes both tobacco and menthol-flavored versions of Juul’s reusable device, which uses nicotine-filled pods available in two different strengths. Juul had already stopped selling several fruity and candy-flavored options that contributed to its initial popularity but became favorites among teenagers.

Juul will be one of only two U.S. companies authorized to sell menthol-flavored vapes, which many adults prefer to tobacco flavor.

“This is an important milestone for the company and I think we made a scientifically sound case for the role that menthol can play in e-vapor,” Juul CEO K.C. Crosthwaite told The Associated Press.

Parents, politicians and antitobacco groups are certain to oppose FDA’s decision. They have argued for years that Juul should be permanently banned from selling its products due to its role in triggering a yearslong spike in underage vaping

Juul was once valued at over $13 billion and its small, sleek e-cigarettes revolutionized the image and technology of the vaping industry. But the company has since been forced to slash hundreds of jobs and pay billions to settle lawsuits over its role in the rise of youth vaping.

The FDA had ordered the company to remove its products from the market in June 2022. But then the agency abruptly reversed course and agreed to reopen its scientific review of Juul’s application after the company pushed back in court.

Juul said that regulators had overlooked thousands of pages of scientific data critical to its submission.

Thursday’s announcement is not an approval or endorsement, and the FDA reiterated that people who do not smoke should not use Juul or any other e-cigarettes. The FDA determination indicates that smokers who switch completely to Juul can reduce their exposure to deadly carcinogens and other chemicals found in traditional cigarettes.

The FDA decision applies to Juul’s original product, which is now roughly a decade old. Crosthwaite said the company hopes to win authorization for its next-generation device and is also considering applying to FDA for more flavors.

In recent years, the FDA has authorized a handful of e-cigarettes to help adult smokers cut back on traditional cigarettes, while rejecting more than a million other vaping products that failed to meet agency standards. Juul’s main competitors, Vuse and Njoy, each previously received FDA permission to remain on the market.

To meet FDA requirements, companies must show that their e-cigarettes benefit public health. In practice, that means proving that adult smokers who use them are likely to quit or reduce their smoking, while teens are unlikely to get hooked on them.

The brainchild of two Stanford University students, Juul launched in 2015 and within two years rocketed to the top of the vaping market.

Juul quickly outpaced earlier brands with its high-nicotine, fruity-flavored vape cartridges, sold in mango, mint and creme brulé. The company’s small, discrete devices provided a more potent, user-friendly alternative to older, bulkier devices.

But the company’s rise was fueled by underage use, and e-cigarettes quickly became ubiquitous in U.S. high schools and middle schools. In 2019, the company was pressured into halting all advertising and eliminating most of its flavors, leaving only tobacco and menthol-flavored cartridges for its device.

By then the company was already the target of multiple investigations and lawsuits by Congress, state and local officials and class action attorneys.

In 2022, the company paid $1.7 billion to settle thousands of lawsuits brought by families of Juul users, school districts, city governments and Native American tribes. The company has separately agreed to pay $1.1 billion to settle lawsuits with most U.S. states.

Juul is no longer the top-selling e-cigarette brand and now trails Vuse, which is sold by Reynolds American.

Teens have also shifted away from the brand amid a wider drop in vaping, according to the latest federal survey. The FDA reported last year that teen vaping dropped to a 10-year low, after stepped up enforcement against unauthorized brands imported from China, such as Elf Bar.

Unlike Juul, disposable e-cigarettes like Elf Bar still come in fruit and candy flavors, despite efforts by regulators to block their use.

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Conservative Gettysburg College group catches student on video tearing down promotional flyers

Student Caught on Camera: Controversial Flyer Removal Sparks Debate at Gettysburg College

A conservative campus group at a private college in Pennsylvania claims a…
Winning Powerball numbers for August 23, 2025

Unlock Your Fortune: Check the Winning Numbers for Powerball’s November 29th Draw!

WASHINGTON — With no winners emerging in Wednesday’s drawing, the Powerball jackpot…
Local Spotlight: Pick a Medicare Advantage Plan, Here's What to Consider

Community Focus: Key Considerations for Choosing a Medicare Advantage Plan

CHICAGO — As the deadline to choose a Medicare Advantage Plan approaches,…
Afghan National Freed Under Biden Program Arrested After TikTok Bomb Threat in Fort Worth

Controversial Release: Afghan National’s TikTok Bomb Threat Shakes Fort Worth After Biden Program Grant

An Afghan national, who entered the United States through President Biden’s Operation…
Mass shooting at Stockton, California, banquet hall leaves 4 dead, 10 wounded

Tragic Mass Shooting at Stockton Banquet Hall Claims Four Lives, Injures Ten Others

A tragic mass shooting in Stockton, California, on Saturday evening resulted in…
Train pushes car quarter-mile on tracks as 82-year-old driver suffers minor injuries

Elderly Driver Survives After Train Drags Car for Quarter-Mile on Tracks

In a remarkable incident this week in New Jersey, an elderly woman…
Oregon Gov. Threatens to Investigate Agents Enforcing Immigration Laws

Oregon Governor Considers Probe into Immigration Law Enforcement Practices

Oregon’s Governor Tina Kotek (D) has issued a warning that the state…
JoJo Siwa reveals painful health scare before Black Friday performance

JoJo Siwa Opens Up About Health Scare Ahead of Anticipated Black Friday Concert

JoJo Siwa recently revealed that a ruptured ovarian cyst led to an…
Parolee with lengthy criminal history identified in deadly crash that killed Colorado father, 3 children

Parolee with Extensive Criminal Record Involved in Fatal Colorado Crash, Claiming Lives of Father and Three Children

Authorities have identified the victims of a devastating car crash in Colorado…
New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting as soldier clings to life

Shocking Footage Released: DC National Guard Incident Leaves Soldier Critically Injured

New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting Fox News correspondent Madeleine…
Gridlock Sam’s transportation list for Mamdani’s first 100 days

Unlocking NYC: Gridlock Sam’s Strategic Blueprint for Mamdani’s First 100 Days

Zohran Mamdani has the chance to reshape New York City streets in…
Antifa agitation turns violent in Germany, bolstering Trump administration's foreign terror label

Escalating Antifa Protests in Germany Spark International Debate on Terror Classification

On Saturday, an extensive demonstration featuring activists from the radical group Antifa,…