Judge blocks DOJ from releasing Biden's conversations with biographer for 3 weeks

Washington — A federal judge on Friday temporarily stopped the Justice Department from turning over a redacted transcript and audio recordings of former President Joe Biden’s decade-old interviews with biographer Mark Zwonitzer to a conservative think tank.

U.S. District Judge Dabney Friedrich approved Biden’s request for a three-week pause, giving a federal appeals court time to decide whether it will step into the dispute and issue its own injunction.

The temporary reprieve came after Friedrich had earlier on Friday rejected Biden’s effort to prevent the Justice Department from releasing the material to the Heritage Foundation. In that ruling, she said Biden’s privacy concerns were lessened by the department’s “extensive redactions.”

Before the latest order, the government had already agreed to hold off on releasing the records to the Heritage Foundation until 5 p.m. Friday.

In a 26-page opinion, Friedrich wrote that “Biden has not identified any public harm that would arise absent an injunction in this case.” She added that, much like the Justice Department’s balancing under the Freedom of Information Act, any reduced privacy interest Biden retains is outweighed by the public’s interest in the Zwonitzer materials and FOIA’s “policy of broad disclosure of Government documents in order to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society.”

Following that decision, Biden’s attorneys submitted an emergency motion asking Friedrich to block the release of the transcript and recordings to the Heritage Foundation while they pursued an appeal. She later granted that request.

“This Court should grant an injunction pending appeal to prevent an irreversible change in the status quo,” they wrote. “President Biden’s motion for a preliminary injunction raises serious legal questions, and the disclosure of his private conversations cannot be undone. The resulting damage to his privacy and to weighty law enforcement interests will be permanent.”

The dispute over Biden’s discussions stems from a Freedom of Information Act request that the Heritage Foundation filed in March 2024. The group sought records that former special counsel Robert Hur relied on to write specific portions of his report on Biden’s handling of sensitive government records, which included passages referring to the former president’s recorded conversations with Zwonitzer in 2016 and 2017. 

The interviews were used for Biden’s 2017 memoir, “Promise Me, Dad.”

Hur’s report referenced the former president’s “diminished faculties and faulty memory” shown in Zwonitzer’s recordings, and called Biden’s recorded conversations with his ghostwriter “painfully slow, with Mr. Biden struggling to remember events and straining at times to read and relay his own notebook entries.”

While the Justice Department initially withheld the audio tapes and most of the written transcripts, citing certain FOIA exemptions, the department under President Trump said it intended to disclose the material to Congress and the Heritage Foundation.

Biden moved to intervene and asked the court to issue a preliminary injunction blocking the disclosure. He also filed a separate lawsuit last month that seeks to block the release of the audio files to the House Judiciary Committee. The judge overseeing that case has yet to rule on Biden’s effort to prevent the disclosure to lawmakers.

In her decision in the Heritage Foundation case, Friedrich wrote that the department “made substantial redactions to the audio and transcripts since its earlier stance in opposition to release.”

The material, she said, does not mention sensitive topics like illness or death, nor any private people, including members of Biden’s family. Friedrich said the case involves an “unusually strong public interest” in the release of the conversations.

“In short, this case presents a confluence of significant public disclosures of prosecutorial decision-making, explicit reliance on particular records, and the statements of a high-profile public figure to support the Department’s decision,” she wrote.

The former president had argued that his conversations with Zwonitzer were never intended to be shared broadly. He said the Justice Department has the recordings only because of Hur’s investigation, which resulted in no charges.

Hur said in his report that while the investigation uncovered evidence that Biden “willfully retained and disclosed classified material” after his vice presidency, the evidence didn’t establish his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

“It is not ordinary for the Department to abandon its duty to protect law enforcement records containing sensitive personal information, instead offering them up to political operatives,” Biden’s lawyers wrote in a May filing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Soldier Mom Who Murdered Daughter Created Disturbing Afterlife Memorial Photo - Internewscast Journal

Soldier Mom Who Murdered Daughter Created Disturbing Afterlife Memorial Photo

A North Carolina soldier who fatally beat her 2-year-old daughter later lied…
Nevada Brush Fire Explodes to 10,500 Acres, Prompting Governor’s State of Emergency - Internewscast Journal

Nevada Brush Fire Explodes to 10,500 Acres, Prompting Governor’s State of Emergency

A rapidly spreading brush fire roared through more than 10,500 acres near…
Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool - Internewscast Journal

Woman Dies After SUV Plunges Into Long Island Swimming Pool

A 40-year-old woman was killed Friday after her SUV veered out of…
Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute

Judge removed from Karmelo Anthony self-defense case A Texas court removed Judge…
Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home - Internewscast Journal

Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home

A Brazilian woman has been convicted after authorities said she spent more…
Nashville hospital medication error leaves at least 1 patient paralyzed after routine surgery, 3 others hurt

Nashville Hospital Medication Error Paralyzes Patient, Injures 3

HHS decertifies Kentucky organ donor network over near-harvesting incident The Department of…
Karmelo Anthony fights for new trial as lawyers clash over unwritten deal that shaped case

Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial Over Lawyer Dispute

A Texas judge on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s bid for a new…
Arizona Teen Killed During Soccer Game Days Before College - Internewscast Journal

Arizona Teen Killed During Soccer Game Days Before College

The victim’s brother said the opposing team grew angry after giving up…
Canadian PM Mark Carney Says Canada Is “At War” With Trump Over Trade After Tariff Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Canadian PM Mark Carney Says Canada Is “At War” With Trump Over Trade After Tariff Dispute

WASHINGTON — The trade fight between the United States and Canada is…
Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs - Internewscast Journal

Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs

House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-MN) sharply criticized Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s…
At Least 17 Shot, 4 Killed in Chicago Weekend Gun Violence - Internewscast Journal

At Least 17 Shot, 4 Killed in Chicago Weekend Gun Violence

CHICAGO () — At least 17 people have been wounded in shootings…
ComEd Crews Aid NW Indiana Power Restoration After Storms - Internewscast Journal

ComEd Crews Aid NW Indiana Power Restoration After Storms

LAKE COUNTY, Ind. () — Additional assistance is headed to northwest Indiana…