Vladimir Putin at a scientific exhibition.
Share this @internewscast.com

Lines of dragons’ teeth bollards are established in Ukraine to protect against Russian attacks as part of the “fortress belt” that Vladimir Putin demands must be surrendered before considering any ceasefire.

The Sun on Sunday’s Defence Editor, Jerome Starkey, visited to assess these barricades and tank trap trenches, which President Volodymyr Zelensky claims would take four years to breach.

Vladimir Putin at a scientific exhibition.
Putin told Trump that he wants all of Donbas, which includes Donetsk and Luhansk, before a ceasefire can be agreedCredit: AFP
Volodymyr Zelenskyy speaking at a podium.
President Zelensky immediately rejected giving up land, with experts warning it would gift Russian troops a launchpad for more attacksCredit: AP

UK’s Defence Intelligence experts estimate that 1.9 million Russian troops might become casualties during the time it would require to overcome this belt, which is the most fortified position in the war-torn region of eastern Donbas.

It stretches 30 miles from Slovyansk to Kostyantynivka in Donetsk Oblast [province] of which Russia currently occupies 70 per cent.

The Kremlin took 40 per cent when it launched a war on Ukraine in 2014, and has captured 30 per cent more since February 2022.

During a meeting in Alaska last week with US President Donald Trump, Putin expressed his demand for all of Donbas, which includes Donetsk and Luhansk, as a precondition for a ceasefire, as experts argue his forces are unable to capture it.

Bungling US envoy Steve Witkoff initially claimed Putin would return Kherson and Zaporizhzhia as part of the deal.

But the Kremlin insisted it would do nothing more than freeze the front lines in those areas — clinging to territory it already holds.

Russia knows how effective the fortress belt is, having copied it with the Surovikin line that stalled Ukraine’s counter-offensive in 2023.

And Mr Zelensky immediately rejected giving up land, with experts warning it would gift Russian troops a launchpad for more attacks.

He told reporters after meeting Mr. Trump that Russia would require at least four years—based on its current progression rate—to conquer Donbas by force.

He mentioned: “The talks about capturing our Donbas by the end of the year are merely idle chatter. Occupying our Donbas would demand an additional four years.”

Spies, air power & NATO boots: How US & Europe could trigger Article 5 to deter Putin’s next invasion

Nonetheless, Mr Trump has pressured Mr Zelensky to cede Ukraine’s land for peace.

He said Kyiv could end the war now with “land swaps”.

However, war expert Matthew Savill, of the London-based Rusi think-tank, said talk of land exchanges could be seen as “a calculated insult to the Ukrainians” as all of the land being discussed is Ukrainian.

He said ceding the fortress belt would force hundreds of thousands of people to flee their homes.

It would also mean Russian forces move 50 miles east and leave Ukraine’s defenders in new positions that are harder to defend.

And it would gift Russia a launchpad for further assaults into neighbouring Kharkiv and Dnipro oblasts.

Anti-tank dragon's teeth fortifications in Ukraine.
The barricade of dragons’ teeth in the fortified zoneCredit: Getty
Discovered grenade in sandy soil.
A grenade launched by Russia in the conflictCredit: Getty
Map showing Russian-occupied territory in Ukraine.

Mr Savill said: “It would mean the loss of their most extensively fortified and resourced defences in the east, opening up Kharkiv and Dnipropetrovsk to future attacks.”

European leaders who met Mr Trump at the White House on Monday last week said it would be akin to America giving up Florida.

But Vice President JD Vance continued to press the idea of ceding land.

The US-based Institute for the Study of War said Putin’s demands were “all advantages for Russia and disadvantages for Ukraine”.

It also insisted the fortress belt was “critical” to Ukraine and warned there was “no guarantee fighting will not resume” even if it agreed to give the land up.

It would mean losing what is the main fortified defensive line in Donetsk Oblast since 2014 “with no guarantee fighting will not resume”.

The institute added: “Ukraine has spent the last 11 years pouring time, money and effort into reinforcing the fortress belt and establishing significant defence, industrial and defensive infrastructure” in and around the surrounding cities.”

Britain’s Defence Intelligence said Russia would suffer nearly two million casualties over four years trying to take it by force, on top of its one million already wounded or dead.

Illustration of Ukraine with support from US and Europe against Russia.
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Cheerleader who died aboard Carnival cruise ship cremated, death certificate reveals

Fox News True Crime Newsletter: Unraveling Anna Kepner’s Enigma, Alex Murdaugh’s Legal Drama, and the Stalled Investigation of Martha Moxley

In a tragic turn of events, 18-year-old Anna Kepner was discovered deceased…
Tinsel, Taps and 'Tinis | A new initiative to explore Downtown Jacksonville

Discover Downtown Jacksonville: Sip, Shop, and Celebrate with Tinsel & Tinis

Downtown Vision has launched an initiative designed to introduce residents to the…
Sex trafficking has to be confronted

Urgent Action Required: Addressing the Crisis of Human Trafficking

Parents naturally want to ensure the safety of their children. However, an…
Illinois man charged with arson after allegedly setting home ablaze on Thanksgiving

Illinois Resident Accused of Thanksgiving Day House Fire

In a shocking Thanksgiving incident, an Illinois man found himself behind bars…
2 National Guard members shot in an ambush attack blocks from the White House

Suspect in National Guard Shooting Charged with First-Degree Murder Following Death; Second Victim Remains Critical

The charges against a 29-year-old former CIA collaborator in Afghanistan have been…
WATCH: Trump Blasts Reporter over National Guard Shooting Question

WATCH: Trump Criticizes Reporter in Response to National Guard Shooting Inquiry

President Donald Trump did not shy away from expressing his frustration during…
TPUSA-Linked Councilmember Sued for Job-for-Sex, Kidnapping

Explosive Legal Battle: TPUSA-Affiliated Councilmember Accused of Job-for-Sex and Kidnapping Scandal

A lawsuit filed in Maricopa County Superior Court accuses Avondale City Council…
Utah death row inmate with dementia dies of natural causes 3 months after execution was halted

Utah Death Row Inmate with Dementia Passes Away of Natural Causes Months After Execution Delay

A Utah man, who had been on death row for nearly four…
Father of fallen National Guard member calls her death a 'horrible tragedy' in heartbreaking post

Father of Deceased National Guard Member Describes Her Passing as a ‘Horrible Tragedy’ in Heartfelt Message

In a deeply emotional Facebook post shared on Thursday, Gary Beckstrom announced…
Northwestern to pay $75M in federal civil-rights deal after antisemitism probes

Northwestern University Agrees to $75 Million Settlement in Federal Civil Rights Case Following Antisemitism Investigations

The Trump administration has unveiled a significant federal civil-rights settlement with Northwestern…
US passenger goes missing while on shore during Caribbean cruise

Unraveling the Mystery: Latest Developments in US Cruise Passenger’s Disappearance in the Caribbean

The perplexing case of a missing American tourist on a Caribbean island…
Russia outlaws Human Rights Watch as crackdown on dissent continues

Russia Bans Human Rights Watch: Escalating Clampdown on Free Speech and Dissent

On Friday, Russian authorities declared Human Rights Watch as an “undesirable organization.”…