Vice President JD Vance delays trip to Switzerland to lead new US talks with Iran on its nuclear program

The White House said late Thursday that Vice President JD Vance is putting off a planned trip to Switzerland, where he had been expected to head a fresh round of talks with Iran over its nuclear program. The delay adds new uncertainty to a fragile diplomatic effort aimed at ending the war.

According to the White House, Vance’s team had been prepared to depart but decided to postpone the trip because of complicated logistical issues surrounding the negotiations. The announcement came after Al-Mayadeen, a pan-Arab satellite network aligned politically with the Iranian-backed Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, reported that Iran was also delaying its delegation’s travel to Switzerland because of Israel’s continuing military operation in Lebanon.

Vance, who had initially expressed personal doubts about U.S. involvement in a war with Iran, has increasingly emerged as one of the administration’s most visible voices on the conflict. In recent days, he has also taken a leading role in publicly defending the proposed agreement.

Earlier on Thursday, he made the somewhat uncommon move of appearing at the White House to argue in favor of the initial arrangement, which would extend the ceasefire for 60 days and create more time for negotiations. Vance said the deal includes concessions, but stressed that Iran would first need to meet U.S. conditions.

“As they dial up their good behavior, we can dial up the economic relief,” Vance said. “If they dial down their good behavior, we can turn it off.”

Still, the vice president had also acknowledged during those remarks that he was uncertain about when he would travel to Switzerland and suggested the talks might not start this week. With the postponement now official, the timeline has become even more uncertain.

Vance staying put in Washington came after the U.S. said it had lifted its blockade, allowing oil tankers to begin freely moving through the Strait of Hormuz after months of being unable to use the critical channel. Still, the tentative agreement has drawn sharp criticism from some in the U.S. – including a few congressional Republicans – who worry Washington ceded too much to Iran with relief from sanctions and a potential $300 billion fund to help with rebuilding.

Earlier, a top Trump administration envoy told U.S. lawmakers in a private briefing that Iran will invite the U.N.’s nuclear watchdog agency to inspect its nuclear sites.

And Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei had seemed to endorse direct negotiations for his officials.

“It is obvious that the face-to-face negotiations that will be held in the future will not mean accepting the enemy’s opinion,” he said in a statement read by state media.

It was Khamenei’s first reaction to the agreement, and it was interpreted as a shift in Iran’s approach. Hard-liners, especially Khamenei’s father, the previous supreme leader, have long opposed direct talks, especially after the U.S. pulled out of the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers.

The supreme leader has not been seen in public since he was wounded in a strike at the start of the war.

Lawmakers told Iran will invite UN inspectors to its nuclear sites
The agreement states that Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium must at minimum be diluted under international supervision. It also says that Iran shall not procure or develop nuclear weapons – a commitment it has made previously.

Trump envoy Steve Witkoff told members of Congress that Iran will invite the International Atomic Energy Agency to inspect its nuclear sites and begin work on identifying and uncovering the locations of Tehran’s enriched material, which is believed to be buried under rubble.

Witkoff’s private briefing was described by two people familiar with the conversation who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to share the closed-door details.

The agreement requires Iran to “commit to renounce their nuclear ambitions in writing,” said White House spokeswoman Olivia Wales. The IAEA did not respond to a request for comment.

Witkoff told congressional leadership and members of national security-related committees that the agreement the U.S. struck with Iran did not include any side deals, but a side letter was drafted between Tehran and the IAEA extending the invitation.

Witkoff said the letter to IAEA Director-General Rafael Mariano Grossi would enable him to bring U.S. nuclear inspectors to Tehran.

Vance defends US-Iran deal and has sharp words for Israel
Before Vance delayed his trip, Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif postponed a planned visit to Switzerland, where Islamabad officials had originally planned to host a ceremonial signing ceremony for the agreement. That visit was postponed because the agreement had already been signed by both Iran and the U.S., said two senior officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

President Donald Trump signed the initial pact with Iran on Wednesday while dining with French President Emmanuel Macron at the Palace of Versailles. The deal is slated to take immediate effect and extends a ceasefire while giving each side 60 days to hammer out broader agreements on larger issues.

Vance, in his comments at the White House, shrugged off criticism about the confusing rollout of the initial deal, saying, “I don’t think our public messaging has been chaotic.”

He also offered a blunt warning to Israel, which has pushed the U.S. to take a harder stance against Iran and launched attacks on the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militia in Lebanon throughout the war, including just before the deal extending the ceasefire was reached. Those attacks complicated the peace efforts with Iran.

Trump “is the only head of state in the entire world who is sympathetic to the nation of Israel at this moment in time,” Vance said. “And he happens to be the head of state of the world’s superpower.”

Shipping starts to pick up
Trump said he signed the agreement to avoid “economic catastrophe” in the U.S., after the war caused oil prices to skyrocket, made financial markets skittish and fueled inflation. The deal caused gas prices to fall and stock markets to rise – though rallies could be threatened again depending on how the next round of U.S.-Iran talks go.

The vice president said more than 12.5 million barrels of oil went through the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday night and said that the U.S. easing its blockade of Iran means “honoring our end of the early part of the agreement on the military side.”

U.S. Central Command said American warships “will remain in the general area to make sure that all aspects of the agreement are adhered to, obeyed and in full force and effect.”

Iranian state media said shipping had “normalized” at Iran’s southern ports but added that the strait remains supervised and under the control of the Iranian military, and transiting through the vital waterway still requires coordination.

Major shipowners began moving vessels through the strait after the agreement was signed, according to maritime data company Lloyd’s List Intelligence, though Lloyd’s did not give data on how many ships have passed through the strait as of Thursday.

In a media briefing, Richard Meade, editor-in-chief of Lloyd’s List, said for the first time in 110 days, ships owned by major companies are transiting the strait after effectively being marooned there since February. It could take weeks or months to fully reopen the strait, and the two alternative routes do not have as much capacity as the strait’s central passage.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Penn State Frat Brothers Accused in Off-Campus Cocaine Ring - Internewscast Journal

Penn State Frat Brothers Accused in Off-Campus Cocaine Ring

14 arrested in Penn State cocaine ring scandal Pennsylvania Attorney General Dave…
Canadian PM Mark Carney Says Canada Is “At War” With Trump Over Trade After Tariff Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Canadian PM Mark Carney Says Canada Is “At War” With Trump Over Trade After Tariff Dispute

WASHINGTON — The trade fight between the United States and Canada is…
Mexican Governor Facing U.S. Drug Charges Seeks Leave One Day After Returning to Office - Internewscast Journal

Mexican Governor Facing U.S. Drug Charges Seeks Leave One Day After Returning to Office

Sinaloa Gov. Rubén Rocha Moya, already under intense political pressure in Mexico,…
San Francisco Beach Closed After Diesel Boat Runs Aground - Internewscast Journal

San Francisco Beach Closed After Diesel Boat Runs Aground

North Beach at Point Reyes National Seashore was temporarily closed Saturday after…
Death Valley National Park Tourist Pierre Formosa Dies After Being Stranded in Triple-Digit Heat - Internewscast Journal

Death Valley National Park Tourist Pierre Formosa Dies After Being Stranded in Triple-Digit Heat

A French tourist died Monday in Death Valley National Park after the…
Soldier Mom Who Murdered Daughter Created Disturbing Afterlife Memorial Photo - Internewscast Journal

Soldier Mom Who Murdered Daughter Created Disturbing Afterlife Memorial Photo

A North Carolina soldier who fatally beat her 2-year-old daughter later lied…
Chicago Bears Fall to Cincinnati Bengals 27-9 in Second Preseason Game at Paycor Stadium - Internewscast Journal

Chicago Bears Fall to Cincinnati Bengals 27-9 in Second Preseason Game at Paycor Stadium

CHICAGO — With Joe Burrow, Joe Flacco and Cincinnati’s other starters and…
Southern California Flock Surveillance Camera Debate Takes Unexpected Turn as Darth Vader Weighs In - Internewscast Journal

Southern California Flock Surveillance Camera Debate Takes Unexpected Turn as Darth Vader Weighs In

A San Diego public safety meeting took an unexpectedly surreal turn this…
Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home - Internewscast Journal

Woman in Her 30s Convicted for Posing as Child in Family Home

A Brazilian woman has been convicted after authorities said she spent more…
Gunman Fires Wildly on Brooklyn Street, Shoots Dog and Narrowly Misses Developmentally Disabled Woman - Internewscast Journal

Gunman Fires Wildly on Brooklyn Street, Shoots Dog and Narrowly Misses Developmentally Disabled Woman

Police are searching for a gunman who opened fire on a Brooklyn…
New Costco Plan Raises Traffic Fears Among Bakersfield Neighbors - Internewscast Journal

New Costco Plan Raises Traffic Fears Among Bakersfield Neighbors

A proposed Costco, fuel station and cluster of restaurants could transform a…
17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested - Internewscast Journal

17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested

A 17-year-old former high school quarterback once seen as a rising football…