Jury selected in civil trial tied to wrongful Chicago police raid of Gilbert Mendez family home in 2017
Share this @internewscast.com

CHICAGO (WLS) — A family suing the city of Chicago over a wrongful police raid is finally getting their day in court.

They say officers violated their rights and traumatized their children.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Jury selection lasted all day Monday at the Dirksen Federal Building, after a last ditch effort to reach a pre-trial resolution between the Mendez family and the city’s attorneys failed.

A jury was seated at the end of the day Monday, and opening statements are set to begin Tuesday.

It was more than six and a half years ago when Gilbert Mendez and his attorney walked into a room filled with reporters to tell Mendez’s story publicly for the first time. Nine months earlier, in November of 2017, he, his wife and two young sons had been subjected to a wrong-house raid by seven 11th District Chicago police officers, who they claimed pointed guns at them and continued to detain them even after it became apparent they had the wrong address.

RELATED: Anjanette Young, victim of botched CPD raid, pushes for reform 6 years later

“Peter and Jack cried and pleaded officers not to shoot and kill their father. Officers also handcuffed their father, Gilbert Mendez, and kept him handcuffed in front of this sons for over 90 minutes,” lawyer Al Hofeld Jr. said.

It’s taken all this time for the civil lawsuit filed by the Mendez family against the city of Chicago and the seven officers involved to be brought before a jury. In the interim, the Civilian Office for Police Accountability, also known as COPA, determined the officers involved in the raid among other things: failed to adequately verify information provided by a police informant prior to acquiring and executing the search warrant and failed to properly knock and announce themselves before entering the Mendez home.

COPA, however, did not find the officers guilty of pointing firearms at the family or, as the lawsuit states, continuing to search the apartment after the mistake was realized.

They did recommend the officers face suspensions ranging from five to 60 days. Those recommendations were accepted by then-Police Superintendent David Brown nearly five years after the wrongful raid took place and three years after the Illinois General Assembly passed and Gov. JB Pritzker signed the Peter Mendez Act, named after Gilbert Mendez’s then-9-year-old son. The act requires officers to receive trauma-informed training as well as training on de-escalation tactics when children are involved in a police operation.

The trial is expected to last around two weeks.

Lawyers said they will show the jury police bodycam video, which they say shows what happened.

A spokesperson for the city’s law department declined to comment Monday, pending the resolution of the trial.

Copyright © 2025 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Trump admin reverses course, TSA says PreCheck will remain operational for now

TSA PreCheck to Remain Active as Trump Administration Reverses Decision: Latest Updates

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has unexpectedly decided to keep its PreCheck…
Nancy Guthrie disappearance fuels rise of ‘mom detectives’ swapping tips and losing sleep

Rise of the ‘Mom Detectives’: The Unresolved Mystery of Nancy Guthrie’s Disappearance Sparks a New Era of Sleuthing

In the ongoing search for missing mother Nancy Guthrie, it isn’t just…
Dave Regan, CA union boss, pushes divisive billionaire tax

California Union Leader Dave Regan Advocates Controversial Billionaire Tax Proposal

In the ongoing debate about California’s financial future, one key player isn’t…
Asking Eric: Introduction of a child changes dynamic for longtime housemates

Eric’s Dilemma: How a New Child Transforms the Dynamic Between Longtime Housemates

Dear Eric, My 40-year-old daughter has resided for a decade with a…
Team USA and Canada battle it out on the ice in the gold medal game for the men's hockey final

Epic Showdown: Team USA vs. Canada in Historic Men’s Hockey Gold Medal Clash

The 2026 Winter Olympics in Milan set the stage for an electrifying…
Cuban security forces leave Venezuela as US pressure intensifies

Cuban Security Forces Withdraw from Venezuela Amid Escalating U.S. Pressure

In a significant shift, large numbers of Cuban security personnel are making…
Man running toward US Capitol holding shotgun arrested by police

Police Arrest Man with Shotgun Near US Capitol

In a dramatic turn of events near the heart of American governance,…
Security measures make cross-border abduction of Nancy Guthrie ‘low’ probability, expert says

Expert Confirms Strong Security Reduces Risk of Nancy Guthrie’s Cross-Border Abduction

TUCSON, Ariz. — According to an expert, it is highly unlikely that…
Adorable pup ditched at Las Vegas airport by heartless traveler gets new home with cop who rescued him

Abandoned Puppy at Las Vegas Airport Finds Forever Home with Rescuing Officer

A heartwarming story has emerged from Las Vegas’ Harry Reid International Airport,…
California woman hospitalized with chemical burns after portable charger explodes while sleeping

California Resident Suffers Chemical Burns from Exploding Portable Charger During Sleep

A sports reporter from Los Angeles experienced a frightening incident earlier this…
NASA likely to delay Artemis II moon mission launch again due to helium flow problem

Helium Issue May Push NASA’s Artemis II Moon Launch Further Back

NASA has announced that the launch of the Artemis II mission, set…
Iran rebuilding nuclear program despite Trump talks, opposition figure claims

Iran’s Nuclear Ambitions Surge Amidst Ongoing Diplomatic Tensions: Opposition Leader Speaks Out

According to a key figure in the Iranian opposition, Iran is actively…