Club World Cup in US faces low enthusiasm amid visa delays, border fears

Lackluster Enthusiasm and Visa Challenges Overshadow Club World Cup in US

The tournament is widely regarded as a precursor to the main event, the 2026 World Cup, which will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

WASHINGTON — As preparations are underway for the FIFA Club World Cup in the United States, issues such as international travel, fan safety, and economic instability pose challenges that may dampen excitement for the tournament.

The United States will welcome 32 professional club teams from across the world to 11 cities for the event. A $1 billion prize pool is at stake.

The Club World Cup is considered in many ways to be a dress rehearsal for the big event, the 2026 World Cup to be hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.

But there seems to be little buzz for the Club World Cup at home or abroad. The expansion of the field from seven to 32 teams has diminished the exclusivity of the event, and ticket sales appear slow.

At the same time, the tournament is being played amid reports of foreign tourists being detained and visa processing delays. Chaotic U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement activities and President Donald Trump’s travel bans aren’t exactly reassuring international fans, either.

Wary travelers, visa woes

Trump’s policies appear to have already impacted travelers. The National Travel and Tourism Office released data showing visitors to the U.S. from foreign countries fell 9.7% in March compared to the same month last year. The travel forecasting company Tourism Economics has predicted that international arrivals would decline 9.4% this year.

The U.S. Travel Association, a nonprofit group that represents the travel industry, has urged the Trump administration to improve such things as visa processing and customs wait times ahead of a series of big sporting events on U.S. soil, including the Club World Cup beginning June 14, the Ryder Cup later this year, next summer’s World Cup, and the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.

Association President Geoff Freeman said, for example, that the wait in Colombia for a visa interview appointment is upwards of 18 months — already putting the 2026 World Cup out of reach for some travelers. He said his organization is working with the White House’s World Cup Task Force to address issues.

“They (the task force) recognize how important this event is: success is the only option. So we’re eager to work with them to do whatever it is we need to do to ensure that we can welcome the millions of incremental visitors that we think are possible,” Freeman said. “But these underlying issues of visa and customs, we’ve got to address.”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, speaking at a House Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing last month, suggested consular staff could be put on longer shifts and that artificial intelligence could be used to process visas.

“We want it to be a success. It’s a priority for the president,” said Rubio.

But the Trump administration may have added to the concerns for international visitors by issuing a ban on travelers from 12 countries, with restrictions on travel from nine more countries. Iran, one of the countries named, has qualified for the World Cup.

The proclamation included an exemption for “any athlete or member of an athletic team, including coaches, persons performing a necessary support role, and immediate relatives, traveling for the World Cup, Olympics, or other major sporting event as determined by the secretary of state.”

Fan fears

There are signs current immigration policies were already impacting soccer fans and spurring worries over safety. A Latin American supporters group in Nashville stayed away from a recent Major League Soccer game because of ICE activity in the city. The city’s Geodis Park is set to host three Club World Cup matches.

Danny Navarro, who offers travel advice to followers on his social media platforms under the moniker TravelFutbolFan, said the World Cup Task Force announcement did not allay fears about travel, especially when Vice President JD Vance said, “We want them to come. We want them to celebrate. We want them to watch the game. But when the time is up, they’ll have to go home. Otherwise, they’ll have to talk to (Homeland Security) Secretary (Kristi) Noem.”

That insinuated fans visiting the United States for the World Cup could use it to stay in the country, which is nonsensical, Navarro maintained. For many countries, fans traveling to the World Cup — an expensive travel plan with hiked flight and hotel prices — are broadly viewed as higher-spending and lower-risk for host nation security planning.

Navarro put the onus on FIFA.

“They must know that there is an anxiety among international travelers wanting to come in. They must know there’s an anxiety among the U.S. fan base that is multicultural and wanting to go to all these places. Are they going to? Are they going to be harassed by ICE?” Navarro said. “There is just a lot of uncertainty, I would say, too much uncertainty, that the fan base doesn’t want to think about.”

If you build it, will they come?

It remains to be seen how outside factors will ultimately impact the Club World Cup, which is not the global spectacle or draw that the World Cup is.

Ticket sales, which were based on a dynamic pricing model, appear to be slow, with lowered prices from earlier this year and a slew of recent promotions. For a match between Paris Saint-Germain and Botafogo at the Rose Bowl on June 19, there were wide swaths of available seats going for $33.45.

FIFA created an incentive program that says fans who buy two or more tickets to the Club World Cup “may” be guaranteed the right to purchase one ticket to the World Cup next summer.

Navarro said economic uncertainty and fears of inflation may make fans hesitant to spend their money on the Club World Cup — when the more desirable World Cup is looming.

In some host cities, there’s little sign the Club World Cup is happening. A light rail station in Seattle had a lone sign advertising the event. The Seattle Sounders are among the teams playing in the tournament.

Hans Hobson, executive director of the Tennessee State Soccer Association, suggested part of the problem is that, unlike the national teams that play in the World Cup, some of the club teams playing in Nashville are just not known to U.S. fans.

“It’s not leagues that they watch. If it was the Premier League or the Bundesliga or something like that, then they’d go, ‘Oh, I know players there. Let’s go check it out,” Hobson said.

There were tickets available to LAFC’s match against Esperance Sportive de Tunisie in Nashville on June 20 for $24.45.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has traveled to several host cities to gin up enthusiasm. He has promised “the world will be welcomed.”

But some say the United States isn’t exactly rolling out the red carpet for visitors in the current climate.

“I could see trepidation for anyone looking to travel to the U.S. at this current political climate,” said Canadian national team coach Jesse Marsch. “So it’s a sad thing, I think, that we have to talk about visiting the U.S. in this way but I think everybody has to make decisions that are best for them and that fit best with what’s going on in their life and their lifestyle.”

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

You May Also Like

NYC Mom Killed in Suspected Murder-Suicide Devoted Life to Son - Internewscast Journal

NYC Mom Killed in Suspected Murder-Suicide Devoted Life to Son

A Staten Island mother killed in a suspected murder-suicide last week is…
Hawaii Waterfall Surges After Hurricane in Before-After Video - Internewscast Journal

Hawaii Waterfall Surges After Hurricane in Before-After Video

A dramatic weather post on social media has quickly ignited widespread reaction…
Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s New York Murder Trial Delayed Until December Amid Double Jeopardy Concerns

Luigi Mangione pleads guilty in federal case Luigi Mangione has pleaded guilty…
California Nonprofit CEO Made $2.4M Amid Addict Billing Allegations - Internewscast Journal

California Nonprofit CEO Made $2.4M Amid Addict Billing Allegations

The opulent life of one of California’s best-paid nonprofit executives is drawing…
Louisiana Husband Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Her Body Across Multiple States before Arrest - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Husband Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Her Body Across Multiple States before Arrest

A Louisiana man is accused of fatally shooting his wife, placing her…
El-Sayed’s Attack on Rogers Backfires in Michigan Senate Race - Internewscast Journal

El-Sayed’s Attack on Rogers Backfires in Michigan Senate Race

Michigan’s Senate contest is quickly becoming one of the most closely watched…
Dem Donor Fundraises for NY GOP Governor Hopeful Blakeman - Internewscast Journal

Dem Donor Fundraises for NY GOP Governor Hopeful Blakeman

A well-known Democratic donor who once gave to Gov. Kathy Hochul’s campaign…
What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills? - Internewscast Journal

What Sparked the Wild Steakhouse Brawl in Beverly Hills?

A night out at one of Beverly Hills’ upscale steakhouses reportedly spiraled…
36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start - Internewscast Journal

36 Poop-Covered Border Collies Rescued in Florida Get New Start

Dozens of Border Collies found coated in feces inside what officials described…
Luigi Mangione’s NYC Murder Trial Delayed After Plea Twist - Internewscast Journal

Luigi Mangione’s NYC Murder Trial Delayed After Plea Twist

Luigi Mangione’s state murder trial will not move forward next month as…
Police Investigate Special Education Teacher After Black Militia Video Surfaces - Internewscast Journal

Police Investigate Special Education Teacher After Black Militia Video Surfaces

A special education teacher accused of urging Black people online to “shoot…
Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women - Internewscast Journal

Man With 7 Prior Convictions Arrested 3 Times in 12 Days Over Alleged Attacks on Women

An Oklahoma man has been taken into custody three times in less…