New York City urges judge to block Trump administration from eliminating its congestion pricing program

New York City and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority on Monday sought a judge’s intervention to prevent the Trump administration from dismantling the city’s congestion pricing program.

Attorneys representing the city’s transportation department and the MTA urged the judge to issue an injunction against Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy’s intentions to terminate the program, along with his warning to withhold federal government approvals for future projects, potentially affecting billions in funding.

New York State also asked for a preliminary injunction to block the federal government from blocking the program.

 

The city reported that travel times to enter Manhattan have significantly improved, with a 12% reduction in traffic last month, while there has been an increase in hotel stays, retail spending, and pedestrian traffic.

“Stopping the program would also mean a return to the crippling congestion that has long plagued Manhattan,” the MTA and the city wrote.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul, a Democrat, has said funds raised from the program would support $15 billion in debt financing for mass transit capital improvements.

Congestion pricing plate readers

The city said there have been about 5.8 million fewer cars than expected in the congestion zone between January and March. (Getty Images)

Last month, Duffy told Hochul that the Department of Transportation may withhold environmental approvals or project funding if the state does not eliminate congestion pricing by late May.

The department approved the congestion program in November under former President Joe Biden’s administration. DOT approval is required because it involves tolls on federal highways.

Duffy and other critics of the program argue that it pulls money from working people and leaves drivers without a free highway option.

Reuters contributed to this report.

You May Also Like

Video Shows Final Moments of NYC Grandma Alisa Goods Found Dead - Internewscast Journal

Video Shows Final Moments of NYC Grandma Alisa Goods Found Dead

A Brooklyn grandmother who vanished during a trip to Las Vegas has…
Alleged Karmelo Anthony School Shooting Threat Text Withheld From Jury in Austin Metcalf Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Alleged Karmelo Anthony School Shooting Threat Text Withheld From Jury in Austin Metcalf Murder Trial

Prosecutors said Friday that Karmelo Anthony had previously discussed carrying out a…
Crypto-Skeptic Rep. Rashida Tlaib Reports Bitcoin Holdings in Savings - Internewscast Journal

Crypto-Skeptic Rep. Rashida Tlaib Reports Bitcoin Holdings in Savings

Rep. Rashida Tlaib, a prominent member of the progressive “Squad,” has opposed…
Nashville hospital medication error leaves at least 1 patient paralyzed after routine surgery, 3 others hurt

Nashville Hospital Medication Error Paralyzes Patient, Injures 3

HHS decertifies Kentucky organ donor network over near-harvesting incident The Department of…
5 Americans killed in helicopter crash in Kenya, including Telemundo executive

5 Americans Killed in Kenya Helicopter Crash; Telemundo Exec Among Victims

Five U.S. citizens were killed Wednesday when a helicopter went down in…
Big Bear Bald Eagle Jackie’s Remains May Be Returned to Native American Tribe - Internewscast Journal

Big Bear Bald Eagle Jackie’s Remains May Be Returned to Native American Tribe

The death of California’s most recognizable bald eagle has ignited an emotional…
California Democrat Faces HR Complaints Over Small Penis Stunt - Internewscast Journal

California Democrat Faces HR Complaints Over Small Penis Stunt

California taxpayers are paying more than $207,000 annually for Terry Schanz’s government…
Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute - Internewscast Journal

Judge Rejects Karmelo Anthony New Trial Bid Over Testimony Dispute

Judge removed from Karmelo Anthony self-defense case A Texas court removed Judge…
NIPSCO Faces Class-Action Lawsuit as NW Indiana Storm Outages Persist - Internewscast Journal

NIPSCO Faces Class-Action Lawsuit as NW Indiana Storm Outages Persist

LAKE COUNTY, Ind. () — Thousands of residents in northwest Indiana spent…
Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says - Internewscast Journal

Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says

Both formal sexual assault reports and the Pentagon’s estimated count of sexual…
Trump administration sanctions sitting president of the International Criminal Court for 'abuses of power'

Trump Administration Sanctions International Criminal Court President, Citing Abuses of Power

Mamdani, Netanyahu and the ICC Paul Gigot joined Wall Street Journal commentators…
Angie Nixon Claims GOP Is Threatening Black Americans’ Lives - Internewscast Journal

Angie Nixon Claims GOP Is Threatening Black Americans’ Lives

The Department of Homeland Security on Friday pushed back against claims from…