Share this @internewscast.com
The weapons that Minneapolis church shooter Robin Westman used to kill two Catholic school students and injure 17 others were “lawfully purchased,” the city’s police chief revealed.
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara identified the 23-year-old as the “coward” who opened fire Wednesday during a Mass welcoming students to the first week of classes at the Annunciation Catholic School.
“As to the weapons used to perpetrate this horrific attack, there was a rifle, a shotgun and a pistol. All three had been lawfully purchased by the shooter,” O’Hara said. “At this stage, we believe that the shooter had acted alone. There is no indication of other suspects directly involved in carrying out this attack.”
When asked by a reporter about where Westman obtained the weapons, O’Hara only said, “I can tell you they were purchased recently.”

People gather at a vigil at Lynnhurst Park after a shooting at the Annunciation Catholic School on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP/Bruce Kluckhohn)
The Annunciation Church said in a statement following the shooting that “You need to know that within seconds, our heroic staff moved students under the pews.
“Law enforcement responded quickly and evacuated all of our children and staff to safety in a matter of minutes when it was safe to do so,” it added. “Tragically, we lost two of our beloved students before the scene was secured. A number of other children and parishioners were wounded, and they are being treated at area hospitals. Some have been treated and released. All staff are physically safe and accounted for.”
Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey told ABC’s “Good Morning America” Thursday morning that “as horrible as this was, it could have been a whole lot worse but for the incredibly brave faculty and teachers that protected these kids from harm, the police officers that ran towards danger when the rest of us could have ran in the other direction.”
Danielle Gunter, the mother of an eighth grade student who was shot at the church Wednesday, released a statement saying, “Our son was shot at school today, inside a church praying with his classmates.
“Our hearts are shattered – not only for him, but for everyone who was harmed,” she added. “We grieve and we pray: for the others who were shot, for their families, and for those who lost loved ones.”

Mayor Jacob Frey sits on the steps of the Annunciation Church’s school as police respond to a reported mass shooting, Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2025, in Minneapolis. (Abbie Parr/AP Photo)
First lady Melania Trump also said Wednesday, “The tragic mass killing in Minnesota illuminates the need for pre-emptive intervention in identifying potential school shooters.
“Early warning signs are often evident, with many individuals exhibiting concerning behaviors and making violent threats online prior to their actions. To prevent future tragedies, it is crucial we look into behavioral threat assessments across all levels of society – beginning in our homes, extending through school districts and of course, social media platforms,” she wrote on X. “Being aware of these warning signs and acting quickly can save lives and make American communities safer.”