Singer D4vd arrested and held without bail in case tied to teen found dead in Tesla: Police

The music world was shaken when singer D4vd, real name David Burke, stood in court on Monday, asserting his innocence in a deeply troubling case. The 21-year-old artist, known for his alternative pop sound, denied all charges related to the tragic death of a 14-year-old girl, discovered in horrendous conditions last September.

The victim, Celeste Rivas Hernandez, was found dismembered and severely decomposed inside the trunk of an allegedly abandoned Tesla linked to Burke. Her disappearance in 2024 had sparked widespread concern and speculation, leading to Burke’s arrest in Los Angeles last Thursday after a long seven-month investigation.

Burke now faces a grave first-degree murder charge, with additional serious allegations. Prosecutors, led by Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan J. Hochman, have outlined special circumstances, suggesting the crime was premeditated with financial motives and possibly targeting a witness. These charges could potentially lead to the death penalty.

In addition to the murder charge, Burke is accused of engaging in continuous sexual acts, committing lewd and lascivious acts with a person under 14, and mutilating human remains, further complicating his legal situation.

mugshot of D4vd

Appearing in court for his arraignment, Burke’s defense team firmly entered not guilty pleas to all accusations. They argued that the evidence does not support the claim that Burke was responsible for Hernandez’s death, a point emphasized in reports from the Associated Press.

During Burke’s arraignment Monday afternoon, his defense team entered not guilty pleas on his behalf to all counts, arguing that evidence shows Burke did not kill the girl, the Associated Press reported.

“We believe the actual evidence will show David Burke did not murder Celeste Rivas Hernandez,” lead defense attorney Blair Berk said. “We would like to have the evidence come into the light of day.”

Burke was also denied bail at his arraignment, which was attended by the girl’s parents, the outlet said.

According to authorities, Burke allegedly engaged in continuous abuse of the victim beginning when she was 13, spanning at least a year from September 2023 to September 2024.

She later ran away from her home in Lake Elsinore, about 70 miles southeast of Los Angeles, at 14 years old, officials said, according to Fox 11 Los Angeles.

On April 23, 2025, Burke allegedly invited the victim to his home in the Hollywood Hills, where he is accused of killing her with a sharp object after she threatened to expose their relationship as his career was on the rise.

Celeste Rivas Hernandez

Photographs, intimate notes, and flowers are among the items left at a memorial on Thursday for slain teen Celeste Rivas Hernandez who was found dead in the trunk of a Tesla in a Hollywood tow yard on September 25, 2025, in Lake Elsinore, California. (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

Prosecutors alleged Burke mutilated her body about two weeks later, Fox 11 said.

Four months later, on Sept. 8, 2025, the victim’s decomposed and dismembered remains were found in the trunk of a car registered to Burke that had been impounded after being reported abandoned.

“Celeste was just a child, under 14 years old, when David Burke allegedly engaged in repeated lewd and lascivious sexual relations with her,” Hochman said.

“But Burke’s actions did not allegedly stop there. When she threatened to expose his criminal conduct and devastate his musical career, Burke allegedly murdered her, cut up her body and stuffed her body in two bags that were placed in the front trunk of his car. There the dismembered body sat for over four months decomposing until it was found at a tow yard on Sept. 8, 2025. This horrific and gruesome murder committed by the charged sexual predator is shocking and appalling. To Celeste’s loved ones, we will get the justice you seek and deserve.”

d4vd performs at 58th Montreux Jazz Festival

Singer D4vd arrested in Los Angeles in connection to the murder of a 14-year-old girl found in a Tesla trunk, police say. (Cyril Zingaro/Keystone via AP)

Burke was reportedly on tour in support of his album when Hernandez’s body was discovered. After allegations of his involvement surfaced, he had canceled his remaining shows.

Based on the charges, Burke faces death or life in state prison without the possibility of parole.

You May Also Like

Liberia to Accept 1,000 Third-Country Deportees From US - Internewscast Journal

Liberia to Accept 1,000 Third-Country Deportees From US

Liberia has reached an agreement with the United States to take in…
Hedge Fund Wife Barred From NJ Divorce Trial Over Email Hack - Internewscast Journal

Hedge Fund Wife Barred From NJ Divorce Trial Over Email Hack

Billionaire John Overdeck is expected to take the witness stand Tuesday in…
WNBA Says Atlanta Security Was Wrong to Ask Mother and Daughter to Cover XX-XY Athletics Shirts - Internewscast Journal

WNBA Says Atlanta Security Was Wrong to Ask Mother and Daughter to Cover XX-XY Athletics Shirts

The WNBA and the Atlanta Dream have both criticized a security decision…
Mission High Tops Berkeley Admissions Despite Math Failures - Internewscast Journal

Mission High Tops Berkeley Admissions Despite Math Failures

A San Francisco high school where critics say strong grades can be…
Mob James Won’t Snitch on Rival in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Mob James Won’t Snitch on Rival in Tupac Shakur Murder Trial

A notorious former gang member brushed off questions about Tupac Shakur’s killing…
NYC Homeowners Erupt Over Mamdani Pied-à-Terre Tax Rollout - Internewscast Journal

NYC Homeowners Erupt Over Mamdani Pied-à-Terre Tax Rollout

Frustrated New Yorkers told City Council members Tuesday that Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s…
NYC Career Thief With 150 Arrests Busted Again Weeks After Release - Internewscast Journal

NYC Career Thief With 150 Arrests Busted Again Weeks After Release

A New York man with nearly 150 arrests on his record is…
Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes - Internewscast Journal

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz Open After De-Mining as 60-Day Iran Talks Window Closes

WASHINGTON — President Trump said Tuesday that the Strait of Hormuz has…
Remains Found Near Nancy Guthrie’s Home Not Linked to Case at This Time, Report Says - Internewscast Journal

Remains Found Near Nancy Guthrie’s Home Not Linked to Case at This Time, Report Says

Human remains have been found in the desert not far from the…
Runner Finds Woman Fatally Stabbed Beside Vehicle Near Upscale DC Suburb Trail - Internewscast Journal

Runner Finds Woman Fatally Stabbed Beside Vehicle Near Upscale DC Suburb Trail

Woman found dead outside car in affluent neighborhood Police said a morning…
Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees U.S. on Hospital Pass - Internewscast Journal

Virginia Man Acquitted by Insanity Flees U.S. on Hospital Pass

A Virginia man who was found not guilty by reason of insanity…
Nancy Guthrie's abductor may have returned to the crime scene, left critical clues at tribute: expert

Nancy Guthrie Ransom Notes Reveal Repeated Writing Quirks That Could Help Identify Suspect, Expert Says

Two messages believed to be linked to the suspected abduction of Nancy…