New Jersey man missing in Grand Canyon 'mega-fire' as search efforts continue week later
Share this @internewscast.com

A New Jersey man has been missing for about a week as a “mega-fire” ravages the Grand Canyon National Park. 

Thomas Daniel Gibbs, a 35-year-old resident of Freehold, New Jersey, was last contacted by his friends and family around noon on July 22, according to a press release from the National Park Service. His loved ones filed a missing person report on July 28. 

On July 31, the U.S. Forest Service categorized the Dragon Bravo Fire as a “mega-fire” when it expanded beyond 100,000 acres along the North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park. 

The blaze earned the distinction of being the largest currently burning fire within the continental U.S. and ranks among the top 10 largest fires in Arizona’s history. In terms of scale, the area covered is comparable to the distance from New York City to Washington, D.C.

For at least seven consecutive days, towering convection formations known as pyrocumulus clouds have been observed above Arizona’s fire, stoking its intensity with dry, gusty winds, as fire information officer Lisa Jennings revealed to the Associated Press last week. These clouds develop when an intense fire superheats the air, causing it to ascend and form a massive smoke column, appearing cloud-like and potentially visible from hundreds of miles away.

This week, their more perilous variant, the pyrocumulonimbus cloud, which is effectively a thunderstorm fueled by fire, unleashed swift winds in multiple directions. This occurred as a smoke column from the Utah fire collapsed, explained Jess Clark, a fire team information officer.

“When these clouds climb high enough, they can generate downdrafts. That’s particularly concerning because it can quickly escalate the fire, posing significant risks to firefighters working on the ground,” Jennings mentioned to the AP.

Grand Canyon smoke and Gibbs missing person photo

Thomas Daniel Gibbs is missing in Grand Canyon National Park.  (Getty Images/ National Park Service)

The National Park Service website says that the North Rim is closed for the remainder of the 2025 season “because of damage and losses caused by the Dragon Bravo Wildfire.”

The Dragon Bravo Fire destroyed approximately 70 structures, including the historic Grand Canyon Lodge, the North Rim Visitor Center, and many guest cabins, according to the agency. 

“The park is currently focused on emergency stabilization to protect remaining infrastructure and natural resources. Planning is underway for the recovery and rebuilding of visitor facilities, including the Grand Canyon Lodge, although this process will take time,” the website says. “While the South Rim remains open and continues to welcome visitors, there is currently no access to the North Rim or to North Rim facilities. We understand the importance of the North Rim to our visitors, employees, and partners, and we are committed to keeping the public informed as plans for recovery progress.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Florida beaches claim 9 of top 10 spots for most shark attacks in America, new study shows

New Study Reveals Florida Beaches Rank 9 of the 10 Highest Shark Attack Locations in the U.S.

Florida beaches dominated a list of the top 10 U.S. beaches with…
Trump casts doubt on Putin-Zelensky meeting: 'Maybe they have to fight a little longer'

Trump Questions Possibility of Putin-Zelensky Meeting: ‘Perhaps They Need to Battle Longer’

(The Hill) — President Trump expressed skepticism about the likelihood of a…
Israel eliminates Houthi prime minister in Yemen airstrike targeting senior government officials

Israel Airstrike in Yemen Targets and Kills Houthi Prime Minister and Top Officials

The Israel Defense Forces said on Saturday that it had killed the…
Glen Powell embodies 'Chad Powers' in a new trailer released by Hulu

Glen Powell presents ‘Chad Powers’ in Hulu’s latest trailer release

Game on! Hulu released its new trailer for “Chad Powers.” The series,…
US offers military funeral honors to Capitol rioter Ashli Babbitt, killed by officer in Jan. 6 attack on Capitol

U.S. Grants Military Funeral Honors to Ashli Babbitt, Capitol Rioter Killed on January 6

WASHINGTON — The U.S. government has decided to provide military funeral honors…
780,000 pressure washers recalled over explosions, injuries

780,000 Pressure Washers Recalled Due to Explosion and Injury Risks

NEW YORK (AP) — Approximately 780,000 pressure washers sold at retailers including…
15-year-old Alex Durante killed in double Canaryville, Chicago shooting; police speaking to person of interest

Teen Tragedy: 15-Year-Old Alex Durante Fatally Shot in Canaryville, Chicago; Police Investigating Person of Interest

CHICAGO (WLS) — Authorities are currently engaging with a person of interest…
Former Alabama football star Lee Roy Jordan dies at 84

Legendary Alabama Football Icon Lee Roy Jordan Passes Away at Age 84

DALLAS (AP) — Lee Roy Jordan, a linebacker on the first Super…
What is SOS mode? Verizon outage leaves customers without service

Understanding SOS Mode: Verizon Outage Disrupts Service for Customers

Verizon says they’re aware of a “software issue impacting wireless service for…
Adam Beckerink, whose wife, Caitlin Tracey, died at his South Loop, Chicago high-rise, avoids trial in domestic violence case

Adam Beckerink Evades Trial in Chicago Domestic Violence Case Following Wife’s Death

In Berrien County, Michigan, there will be no court trial for a…
Trump administration plans to remove nearly 700 unaccompanied migrant children, senator says

Senator Reports Trump Administration’s Plan to Relocate 700 Unaccompanied Migrant Children

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration intends to deport nearly 700 Guatemalan…
A year after Hamas tunnel executions, Israel honors 'Beautiful Six' as hostage debate intensifies

One Year Later: Israel Commemorates the ‘Beautiful Six’ Executed by Hamas, Amid Ongoing Hostage Discussions

TEL AVIV, Israel — On Saturday, Israelis commemorated the one-year anniversary of…