Trump gathers members of Board of Peace for first meeting, with some US allies wary of new body
Share this @internewscast.com

WASHINGTON — A coalition of countries, including Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, and Albania, has committed to contributing troops to a stabilization force in Gaza, detailed Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers, who leads the international security team. Meanwhile, Egypt and Jordan have agreed to provide police training.

The initial deployment of these troops will be concentrated in Rafah, a significant hub, which the U.S. administration has earmarked as the starting point for its reconstruction initiatives.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier report continues below.

During the first-ever Board of Peace gathering, President Donald Trump revealed on Thursday that nine board members have pledged a total of $7 billion to support relief efforts in Gaza. This region continues to navigate a fragile ceasefire.

The countries making these pledges include Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, UAE, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, and Kuwait, as Trump highlighted.

Trump expressed his gratitude to the donors, stating, “Every dollar invested is a step toward stability and the promise of a new, harmonious region.”

The amount, while significant, represents a fraction of the estimated $70 billion needed to rebuild the Palestinian territory decimated after two years of war.

Trump also announced the U.S. was pledging $10 billion for the Board of Peace, but didn’t specify what the money will be used for.

“The Board of Peace is showing how a better future can be built, starting right here in this room,” Trump said.

The board was initiated as part of Trump’s 20-point peace plan to end the conflict in Gaza. But since the October ceasefire, Trump’s vision for the board has morphed and he wants it to have an even more ambitious remit – one that will not only complete the Herculean task of bringing lasting peace between Israel and Hamas but will also help resolve conflicts around the globe.

But the Gaza ceasefire deal remains fragile and Trump’s expanded vision for it has triggered fears the U.S. president is looking to create a rival to the United Nations.

Trump, pushing back against the criticism, said the creation of his board would help make the U.N. viable in the future.

“Someday I won’t be here. The United Nations will be,” Trump said. “I think it is going to be much stronger, and the Board of Peace is going to almost be looking over the United Nations and making sure it runs properly.”

Trump started the meeting by taking part in a family photo with officials from nations that have joined the board.

Most countries sent high-level officials, but a few leaders-including Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto, Argentinian President Javier Milei, and Hungarian President Viktor Orbán-traveled to Washington for the gathering.

Some US allies remain skeptical

More than 40 countries and the European Union confirmed they were sending officials to Thursday’s meeting, according to a senior administration official who was not authorized to comment publicly. Germany, Italy, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom are among more than a dozen countries that have not joined the board but are taking part as observers.

“Almost everybody’s accepted, and the ones that haven’t, will be,” Trump predicted. “And some are playing a little cute — it doesn’t work. You can’t play cute with me.”

The U.N. Security Council held a high-level meeting Wednesday on the ceasefire deal and Israel’s efforts to expand control in the West Bank. The U.N. session in New York was originally scheduled for Thursday but was moved up after Trump announced the board’s meeting for the same date and it became clear that it would complicate travel plans for diplomats planning to attend both.

Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin told reporters earlier this week that “at the international level it should above all be the U.N. that manages these crisis situations.” The Trump administration on Wednesday pushed back on the Vatican’s concerns.

“This president has a very bold and ambitious plan and vision to rebuild and reconstruct Gaza, which is well underway because of the Board of Peace,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said. “This is a legitimate organization where there are tens of member countries from around the world.”

Mike Waltz, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., also pushed back on skeptical allies, saying the board is “not talking, it is doing.”

“We are hearing the chattering class criticizing the structure of the board, that it’s unconventional, that it’s unprecedented,” Waltz said. “Again, the old ways were not working.”

Questions about disarming Hamas

Central to Thursday’s discussions will be creating an armed international stabilization force to keep security and ensure the disarming of the militant Hamas group, a key demand of Israel and a cornerstone of the ceasefire deal.

But thus far, only Indonesia has offered a firm commitment to Trump for the proposed force. And Hamas has provided little confidence that it is willing to move forward on disarmament. The administration is “under no illusions on the challenges regarding demilitarization” but has been encouraged by what mediators have reported back, according to a U.S. official who was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Subianto, the Indonesian president, pledged to work closely with other leading Islamic countries invited by Trump to “join in the endeavors to try to achieve lasting peace in Palestine.”

“We recognize there are still obstacles to be overcome, but at least my position is at least we have to try, and we have to do our best,” he said at an event at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday, where he met with members of the business community.

On Thursday, updates are expected from the Gaza Executive Board, the operational arm of the board, about its efforts to create a functioning government system and services for the territory, according to the official who spoke on condition of anonymity to preview the broad outlines of the meeting.

Michael Hanna, U.S. program director at the International Crisis Group, a nonprofit group focused on preventing conflicts, suggested the skepticism some U.S. allies are showing is not unwarranted.

“Without any clear authorization for the expansion of its mandate beyond Gaza, it is unsurprising that many U.S. allies and partners have chosen to decline Trump’s offer to join the board,” Hanna said. “Instead, many of the states most invested in Gaza’s future have signed up with the hope of focusing U.S. attention and encouraging Trump himself to use the influence and leverage he has with Israel.”

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Firefighter Andrew Jimenez appears in court in a suicide vest for the murder of his wife Mayra

Firefighter in Suicide Vest Faces Court for Shocking Murder Charge: The Andrew Jimenez Case

Colleagues of a cherished Los Angeles teacher, who was tragically beaten to…
Truck launched 100 feet into air crashes through Oregon family home

Truck Catapults 100 Feet, Crashes into Oregon Home

Astonishingly, a truck soared approximately 100 feet into the air before crashing…
Teen in tactical gear arrested after allegedly charging toward US Capitol with loaded shotgun

Georgia Man with Firearm Apprehended at US Capitol; Claimed Desire to “Speak” with Congress, Documents Reveal

The arrest of a Georgia resident caught carrying a loaded firearm while…
First photo from site of deadly Lake Tahoe avalanche — as rescuer speaks out from snowed in huts

Exclusive: Rescuers Share First Images from Lake Tahoe Avalanche Site

A dedicated search and rescue worker, actively involved in the mission to…
American tourist killed in Thailand as love triangle turns deadly during violent confrontation: police

Tragic Love Triangle in Thailand: American Tourist’s Fatal Encounter Shocks Nation

An American man lost his life in Thailand, caught in what officials…
Lent 2026: Clergy allowed inside Broadview ICE facility for Ash Wednesday after federal judge's order against DHS

Historic Ruling: Federal Judge Grants Clergy Access to Broadview ICE Facility for Ash Wednesday 2026

The onset of Lent has made a notable impact within the Broadview…
'Toy Story 5' trailer: Woody, Buzz and Jessie reunite to save toys from tech

Woody, Buzz, and Jessie Back in Action: ‘Toy Story 5’ Trailer Unveils New Adventure Against Tech Threats

Disney and Pixar have unveiled a fresh trailer for their much-anticipated “Toy…
3rd arrested in violent overnight home invasion, multiple illegal aliens accused of sexual assault, kidnapping

Shocking Home Invasion: Third Arrest Made in Case Involving Illegal Immigrants Accused of Sexual Assault and Kidnapping

North Carolina authorities revealed on Wednesday the capture of a third individual…
First photo from site of deadly Lake Tahoe avalanche — as rescuer speaks out from snowed in huts

Exclusive: First Look at Lake Tahoe Avalanche Aftermath – Rescuer Shares Harrowing Experience

A search and rescue expert has shared his firsthand account of the…
Tourists tie pules of trash -- including tampons, condoms, panties -- to Brooklyn Bridge in disgusting trend

Unsightly New Trend: Tourists Leave Trash, Including Personal Items, Hanging on Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn’s iconic bridge has become the latest canvas for a peculiar trend…
Second alleged Guthrie ransom deadline missed, sparking new theories from Bongino, former FBI agent and doctor

How Ring’s Neighbors App is Revolutionizing the Search for Missing Seniors: The Nancy Guthrie Case

According to a cybersecurity expert, the Ring ‘Neighbors’ app might play a…
Bayer agrees to $7.25 billion proposed settlement over thousands of Roundup cancer lawsuits

Bayer’s $7.25 Billion Settlement: What It Means for Roundup Cancer Lawsuit Victims

Bayer, the agrochemical giant, alongside attorneys for cancer sufferers, announced a tentative…