Share this @internewscast.com

Vice Media Group plans to lay off hundreds of employees and stop publishing on its flagship news website, the company’s chief executive said in a memo to employees Thursday — a stunning setback for a digital media pioneer that ascended to cultural prominence more than a decade ago.

“It is no longer cost-effective for us to distribute our digital content the way we have done previously,” Vice CEO Bruce Dixon said in the memo, which was seen by NBC News. Vice Media did not immediately respond to emails requesting comment on Thursday’s news.

Dixon added that the company would now “look to partner with established media companies to distribute our digital content, including news, on their global platforms, as we fully transition to a studio model.”

Refinery29, the company’s women’s lifestyle brand, will continue to operate as a “standalone diversified digital publishing business,” Dixon said, though executives are in “advanced discussions to sell this business, and we are continuing with that process.” (Vice acquired Refinery29 in 2019.)

“With this strategic shift comes the need to realign our resources and streamline our overall operations at Vice,” Dixon wrote in the memo. “Regrettably, this means that we will be reducing our workforce, eliminating several hundred positions.” 

In the early 2010s, Vice was considered one of the hottest brands in digital media, known for its brash journalistic style and far-reaching commercial ambitions. In its heyday, coinciding with a period of low interest rates, Vice was an insurgent empire that included a news website, an entertainment studio, an HBO series, a cable TV channel and an in-house marketing agency.

The company’s cultural rise mirrored that of BuzzFeed and Vox, pointing to a future media landscape anchored by digital-first startups and millennial tastes. The news division was known for dispatching correspondents to countries such as Ukraine and Venezuela, where they reported on conflicts with a guerrilla aesthetic that contrasted sharply with traditional TV news.

Vice’s leaders set out to supersede the old-guard corporate titans, though they eventually drew hundreds of millions in investment from legacy heavy-hitters such as Disney and Fox.

The Brooklyn-based company struggled to turn a profit, however, and executives started laying off waves of employees and cut costs over the last few years. The company emerged from bankruptcy last year under a new owner, Fortress Investment Group, which reportedly failed to find a buyer for the embattled enterprise.

Vice is not the only media operation facing dire straits.

In recent months, amid a cratering advertising market and rising competition from platforms like TikTok, several news organizations have been hit by severe layoffs. The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, CNN, ABC News and BuzzFeed News are among the outlets that have cut staff members in the last year, stoking anxiety about the future of the industry.

Vice got its start in Montreal in the 1990s as an alternative punk publication co-founded by Gavin McInnes, a provocateur who went on to found the Proud Boys, a neo-fascist militant organization closely aligned with the American far right. The original magazine’s other co-founders were Suroosh Alvi and Shane Smith.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Abduction of 10 Mexican miners during wave of cartel violence casts doubts over president's safety claims

Ten Mexican Miners Abducted Amid Escalating Cartel Violence, Raising Questions on Presidential Security Assurances

CONCORDIA, Mexico — Nestled within the coastal mountains overlooking the shimmering Pacific…
White House unveils cheeky Valentine’s Day cards featuring Maduro, Rubio and the shutdown sombrero

White House Unveils Playful Valentine’s Day Cards Featuring Political Cartoons: A Satirical Spin on Maduro, Rubio & Shutdown Drama

In a playful twist, the White House unveiled a collection of humorous…
Kremlin slams claims it killed top Putin critic Navalny

Kremlin Denies Involvement in Alleged Plot Against Putin Critic Navalny

The Kremlin has dismissed allegations from multiple European countries and the widow…
New TMZ ransom letter gave 3 possible clues about Nancy Guthrie's kidnapping

Unraveling the Mystery: Three Intriguing Clues from TMZ’s Ransom Letter in Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping Case

A fresh twist has emerged in the mysterious case of Nancy Guthrie’s…
California surfer murdered in apparent robbery at his home in Costa Rica: reports

Tragic End for California Surfer: Costa Rica Home Invasion Turns Fatal

A well-known surfer from California tragically lost his life in what appears…
California surfing legend stabbed to death in Costa Rica, girlfriend zip-tied

Tragic End: California Surf Icon Fatally Stabbed in Costa Rica, Girlfriend Held Captive

In a tragic and shocking incident, a revered surfing legend from California…
Colin Gray trial: Opening statements start in the trial of a Georgia Apalachee High School shooting suspect's father

Opening Statements Commence in Colin Gray Trial, Father of Georgia Apalachee High School Shooting Suspect

In the quiet town of Winder, Georgia, a courtroom is poised to…
Presidents Day 2026: Here's what's open and closed on the holiday including banks, stores

Presidents Day 2026: A Comprehensive Guide to What’s Open and Closed, From Banks to Retailers

In observance of Presidents Day, a significant number of institutions, including government…
Witkoff and Kushner reportedly tell Trump nuclear deal with Iran 'difficult to impossible'

Experts Witkoff and Kushner Advise Trump: Iran Nuclear Deal Faces Major Hurdles

Advisors close to President Trump have reportedly cautioned him about the significant…
Multiple people shot at Rhode Island ice rink, suspect dead: report

Rhode Island Ice Rink Shooting: Multiple Injured, Suspect Confirmed Dead

close Video Fox News Flash brings you today’s top stories. Visit FoxNews.com…
Hiker dies near summit of New York's tallest peak after slipping off trail

Tragic Fall on New York’s High Peaks: Hiker’s Journey Ends Near State’s Tallest Summit

A tragic accident claimed the life of a 21-year-old hiker who fell…
Pennsylvania man accused of stabbing 3-month-old baby after talking 'sacrifice'

Pennsylvania Man Arrested for Allegedly Stabbing Infant Amid ‘Sacrifice’ Claims

A 44-year-old man from Pennsylvania has been taken into custody following accusations…