Why Mets' Pete Alonso decided not to participate in Home Run Derby

Pete Alonso will be in the All-Star Game, but he won’t be participating in the Home Run Derby. 

The first baseman has taken part in the competition four times and won it twice. 

This time, though, he said he values getting ready for the second half more. 

“I decided not to participate this year,” Alonso remarked after being selected for the NL team on Sunday, following a 6-4 defeat to the Yankees at Citi Field. “I’ve never truly taken the time to enjoy three consecutive off-days. I want to ensure I’m in the best form to help the team succeed in the second half.”

He pointed to the toll it can take as the Mets prepare for the second half of the season. 


Pete Alonso of the New York Mets rounding the bases.
Pete Alonso will not be participating in the Home Run Derby this year. Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post

“It’s not just about the work and the swing,” Alonso explained regarding his choice to skip the event. “It’s the adrenaline. You need to be fully engaged and in game mode.”

Alonso first won the competition during his historic rookie season in 2019 and again in 2021. 

He also took part in it in 2022 and ’23. 

Alonso added that he could take part in the derby again in the future, depending on the venue. 

“This decision doesn’t rule it out forever,” Alonso added. “If the All-Star Game takes place at Citi Field or another park I enjoy, like Fenway [Park] or Wrigley [Field], I would consider it. But for now, I didn’t feel called to participate. I love the event but didn’t feel motivated this year. So, I chose to use the time for recovery.”


Kodai Senga “physically feels fine,” according to manager Carlos Mendoza, following his Saturday rehab start for Triple-A Syracuse.


Yankees

Mets officials are expected to decide within the next day or two whether the right-hander is ready to rejoin the team for his next start.

Senga has been rehabbing a right hamstring strain since June 12. 


Jesse Winker played in a fourth minor league rehab game on Sunday and could potentially join the Mets on Tuesday in Baltimore, according to Mendoza.



The veteran outfielder has been rehabbing an oblique strain since early May. 


Mendoza said his frustration with plate umpire John Bacon had been building throughout the game, leading to his ninth-inning ejection for arguing a called third strike on Luis Torrens.

Mendoza’s ejection was his second in eight games. 

“Especially in that situation leading off an inning, you are down two and you want to get guys on base,” Mendoza said. “You get calls like that, it’s pretty frustrating.” 

You May Also Like

Tyler Robinson Rarely Hit Bullseye in Practice, Put Bystanders at Risk in Kirk Shooting, Prosecutors Say - Internewscast Journal

Tyler Robinson Rarely Hit Bullseye in Practice, Put Bystanders at Risk in Kirk Shooting, Prosecutors Say

Kirk family faces accused assassin in Utah court for preliminary hearing Fox…
Microsoft Executive’s Widow Confronts Alleged Murder Plotter, Reveals Haunting Final Call - Internewscast Journal

Microsoft Executive’s Widow Confronts Alleged Murder Plotter, Reveals Haunting Final Call

The widow of Microsoft executive Jared Bridegan confronted in court Monday the…
69 live animals found stuffed in pillowcases in hidden car compartment after border arrest: Feds

Border Agents Find 69 Live Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases in Secret Car Compartment, Feds Say

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a resident of Tijuana…
Sen. Darline Graham’s Debate Flop Exposes National Security Gap - Internewscast Journal

Sen. Darline Graham’s Debate Flop Exposes National Security Gap

WASHINGTON — Sen. Darline Graham Nordone (R-SC) faltered twice in a bruising…
Trump Ends Illegal Migrant Tax Credits in $3B Savings Move - Internewscast Journal

Trump Ends Illegal Migrant Tax Credits in $3B Savings Move

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is moving to block illegal immigrants from…
US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases - Internewscast Journal

US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a Tijuana resident was…
Arizona Teen Dies After Being Beaten Unconscious at Park Soccer Game Days Before Starting College - Internewscast Journal

Arizona Teen Dies After Being Beaten Unconscious at Park Soccer Game Days Before Starting College

An Arizona teenager was beaten to death after a pickup soccer game…
Ohio Death Row Inmate Backed by Ex-Sheriff and Celebrities Seeks Full Pardon from Parole Board - Internewscast Journal

Ohio Death Row Inmate Backed by Ex-Sheriff and Celebrities Seeks Full Pardon from Parole Board

An Ohio death row prisoner who has spent more than 30 years…
NASA Spots 60-Foot Moon Crater After SpaceX Booster Crash - Internewscast Journal

NASA Spots 60-Foot Moon Crater After SpaceX Booster Crash

A NASA spacecraft orbiting the moon has captured the clearest images so…
Two workers killed, several injured after explosions tear through Ohio recycling facility

Ohio Recycling Plant Blasts Kill 2 Workers, Injure Several

Two employees died and several others were hurt after a pair of…
Liberia to Accept 1,200 Third-Country Deportees from the US Within a Year - Internewscast Journal

Liberia to Accept 1,200 Third-Country Deportees from the US Within a Year

ICE reportedly to target Haitian migrants as protected status ends Former acting…
Manhunt underway after off-duty Massachusetts police veteran found dead at woman's home

Manhunt After Off-Duty Massachusetts Police Veteran Found Dead

Authorities in Massachusetts have launched an urgent search for a 58-year-old woman…