People who are planning to host Platinum Jubilee street parties have reportedly been warned they could be in danger of possible terror attacks. Pictured: Preparations on Regent Street
Share this @internewscast.com


People who are planning to host Platinum Jubilee street parties have reportedly been warned they could be in danger of possible terror attacks.

The Platinum Jubilee four-day UK bank holiday weekend is set to take place from June 2 to 5 marking the Queen’s 70 years of service.

An statement on the Royal Family’s website says over 60,000 people have registered to host Big Jubilee lunches over the weekend.

And an estimated 10million people are going to be celebrating the occasion with street parties.

In preparation for the major public event, the Metropolitan Police has reportedly sent out a five-page document to those registered as organisers, giving advice about the potential threat of terror.

According to the Mirror, the document is called ‘Counter Terrorism Protective Security Advice for Street Parties’ and warns that gatherings could be potential targets because of the large and diverse crowds expected to attend.

People who are planning to host Platinum Jubilee street parties have reportedly been warned they could be in danger of possible terror attacks. Pictured: Preparations on Regent Street

People who are planning to host Platinum Jubilee street parties have reportedly been warned they could be in danger of possible terror attacks. Pictured: Preparations on Regent Street

The document reads: ‘Terrorists using weapons as vehicle do NOT comply with traffic management systems. The rules of the road will not apply to them.

‘It is recommended that street furniture is not removed… Strategically positioned vehicles can act as a deterrent, but may not completely stop an attack.’

The newspaper reports that volunteers are advised to carry an air horn to warn of any potential attack unfolding and said the document describes the threat as ‘substantial’ so an attack is ‘likely’.

Security and intelligence experts downgraded the threat from ‘severe’ – where an attack is deemed to be highly likely – to ‘substantial’ in February this year.

The threat level was deemed ‘severe’ in November 2021 following the explosion outside a Liverpool hospital on Remembrance Sunday and the fatal stabbing of Southend West MP Sir David Amess at a constituency surgery in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex on October 15.

But the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) assessment to reduce it three months later was based on the latest intelligence available, with the ‘substantial’ threat level still meaning a terrorist attack on the UK is likely. 

The Platinum Jubilee four-day UK bank holiday weekend is set to take place from June 2 to 5

The Platinum Jubilee four-day UK bank holiday weekend is set to take place from June 2 to 5

A Met Police spokesperson insisted there had been no intelligence of any ‘specific threat’ and said they were sharing advice to ensure celebrations are safe for everyone involved.

The spokesman said: ‘The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee is a momentous occasion for our country with London being the centre of the celebrations.

‘The Met will be playing its part by helping to keep those marking and celebrating the occasion safe – including from terrorism.

‘Whilst there is certainly no intelligence of any specific threat to any of the events linked to the Jubilee, our specialist officers have been working closely with event organisers and local authorities across London to advise them on the best way to make their events safe and secure for all.

‘This is something we routinely do for all planned public events of significant scale.

‘This advice has also been offered and extended to local street party organisers, to give them practical tips and advice on how to keep their event as safe as possible.’

Earlier today, MailOnline reported how a patriotic retiree had been told by Dacorum Borough Council that she must complete a counter terror plan if she was to receive permission to host a Platinum Jubilee street party.

Gloria Odell, 70, wanted to honour Her Majesty’s record-breaking reign with the celebration on grassland on her street in Leverstock Green, Herts, but had to abandon it after being overwhelmed with bizarre paperwork after approaching Dacorum Borough Council.

Gloria Odell, 70, can now hold her jubilee event on the village green near her Herts home

Gloria Odell, 70, can now hold her jubilee event on the village green near her Herts home

Pages of forms and questions asked if there were going to be any motorsports stunts or aeronautical displays and demanded a counter-terrorism plan, security provisions and severe weather management mitigation.

But after MailOnline broke the story on her plight the council u-turned on the amount of forms she needs to fill in.

And now – after Gloria was able to speak to someone at the authority – the party has been reinstated.

She said: ‘Nothing was set in stone when I wrote to them originally, but they took all my questions as fact and thought it would be a big event.

‘If I had been able to speak to someone I would have all been sorted out earlier – that’s what caused all the problems. I think there has been a bit of a lack of common sense.

‘I’m delighted it’s able to go ahead – I don’t need to put together a counter-terror plan now either. Which is a relief.’

More of the forms for the street part, again asking about firms providing security services

More of the forms for the street part, again asking about firms providing security services

The council is understood to have misunderstood Mrs Odell’s inquiry, which was a loose plan on might happen, and taken all her ideas for the event as solid facts.

A spokesperson for Dacorum Borough Council, said: ‘We have been working with Gloria Odell to refine the plans for her jubilee event. 

‘This has reduced the number of required documents, which she has now completed.

‘We have a long history of planning safe and successful local events and we are pleased that her celebration is now going ahead along with 85 other local events.’ 

The lengthy questionnaire and forms have been seen by MailOnline and went into an extraordinary level of detail.

One was an event organisers ‘Covid guidance’ which says a risk assessment has to be carried out and control measures put in place. 

HOW THE UK’S TERROR THREAT LEVELS WORK

The threat level for the UK from international terrorism is set by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC).

Analysts take a variety of factors into consideration before determining the appropriate threat level for the UK.

This could include available intelligence, an examination of known terrorist capabilities and the timescale.

There are five levels of the terror threat system. These are:

LOW – an attack is highly unlikely

MODERATE – an attack is possible, but not likely

SUBSTANTIAL – an attack is likely

SEVERE – an attack is highly likely

CRITICAL – an attack is highly likely in the near future

The last time the UK was facing a severe terror threat level was from November 2021 to February 2022 at which point it was downgraded to substantial. 

The threat level has only been critical twice since 2010 – once in May 2017 for four days and once in September 2017 for two days.

The critical levels followed the Manchester Arena bombing and the Parsons Green bombing respectively. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Palace prioritised peace, whatever the cost to their staff: In wake of Harry and Meghan’s departure

Palace prioritised peace, whatever the cost to their staff: In the wake…

Wimbledon scientists reveal the luckiest and unluckiest courts for British tennis players 

British stars Emma Raducanu and Andy Murray are among the British players…

Wife of Prince Harry’s polo playing pal Nacho Figueras calls Meghan Markle her ‘sister’

The spouse of Prince Harry’s friend Nacho Figueras has called Meghan Markle…