Share this @internewscast.com
Anthony Hudson says USMNT ‘achieved their objectives’ despite failing to win either friendly against Colombia and Serbia as the interim coach reflects on giving TWELVE players their international debuts
United States interim coach Anthony Hudson said it was job done after overseeing two friendlies for the national team – despite failing to win either of them.
USA tied 0-0 with Colombia on Saturday night after a 2-1 defeat by Serbia in the week in California. The US roster was significantly under strength with a number of first team players unavailable due to commitments to European club soccer.
It meant Hudson turned to a number of young players across the two games, giving the likes of Paxton Aaronson and Jesus Ferreira a chance to show why the should be involved in the future.
Anthony Hudson gave 12 players their debut for the United States in their recent games
On Saturday evening, the United States finished tied 0-0 against Colombia in California
‘Overall, I think we achieved our objectives,’ Hudson said. ‘There’s a bunch of players we wanted to see with us, to see in competitive situations.
‘It was a case of being able to look at those players in our environment and being able to get through two games physically.
‘The objective was to look at players, give players a chance, players we’ve been monitoring, and then also be able to balance the group so we get through the two games.’
Eight players made their US debuts Wednesday night against Serbia, the most in one match in over 30 years, and four more against Colombia. The 12 total debuts are the most ever made for a US team in this January period, topping eight debuts in 2006.
‘What I saw from the touchline, it could easily have been a qualifying game,’ Hudson said of the Colombia game. ‘Such is what both teams were putting into it.
‘It was a very intense game. For some of the younger guys, it will be a great experience for them.’
Hudson received praise from his players in their first week of work together since the veteran coach took over for Gregg Berhalter, whose contract expired at the end of last year.
Berhalter, who led the U.S. to the round of 16 at the World Cup in Qatar, is under investigation by the U.S. Soccer Federation for a domestic violence incident that occurred in the early 1990s, and it is unclear whether he has a chance of resuming his job.
Hudson said that he was impressed by the standard of play in the tie against Colombia
The next USA game are in March – the team will play against Grenada and El Salvador
US Soccer is in upheaval after the departures of sporting director Earnie Stewart and men’s general manager Brian McBride earlier this month.
The governing body will select a new sporting director who will hire the permanent men’s head coach, but the process could take many months.
That means Hudson will likely still be in charge in March during the next series of games, which are in a FIFA window, unlike this January camp. The USA will play Grenada and El Salvador.
The Seattle-born Englishman seems likely to run the team all the way through the CONCACAF Gold Cup this summer, culminating July 16 at nearby SoFi Stadium.
‘Until I’m told otherwise, I’m going to do my best for the team and the players,’ Hudson said.