Share this @internewscast.com
Los Angeles FC confirm Gareth Bale’s MLS move as his new club shares a montage of his best moments for Real Madrid… with Wales’ World Cup qualification hero joining on an initial 12-month deal
Wales captain Gareth Bale will join Los Angeles FC on a 12-month contract that could be extended until 2024, the MLS side have confirmed.
Los Angeles announced Bale’s arrival on Monday evening with a series of clips showing his finest moments at Real Madrid, where his contract is about to expire in the culmination of his nine-year spell with the LaLiga champions.
In a statement, LAFC said: ‘Bale will occupy an international roster slot upon the receipt of his P1 Visa and International Transfer Certificate.’
Gareth Bale’s shock move to MLS club Los Angeles FC on a free transfer has been confirmed
The club will use Target Allocation Money to sign Bale, which is designed to allow clubs to pay hefty wages on a global sale while remaining within the salary cap.
The funding is used for players who earn more than $504,375 (around £411,000) annually and has a maximum limit of a $1.5m (more than £1.2m) individual salary.
Bale had ended speculation that he would sign for Cardiff by posting a photo of himself wearning a black and gold LAFC cap on social media, adding: ‘See you soon, Los Angeles.’
Wales icon Bale will play his home games at the 22,000-capacity Banc of California Stadium
Vincent Tan, the owner of Bale’s hometown club, said the Bluebirds had been unable to compete with the commercial deals available in the US despite the three-time Champions League winner ‘really wanting’ to play for City.
Former Tottenham winger Bale had also been linked with a return to the Premier League but will have been enticed by the MLS because its season runs until November, a fortnight before Wales’ first World Cup finals campaign since 1958 begins in Qatar.
The 32-year-old could make his debut against city rivals LA Galaxy, who are co-owned by former England captain David Beckham, on July 8.
More to follow