Donald Trump calls Mark Milley 'idiot' for leaving military equipment in Afghanistan

Donald Trump Criticizes Mark Milley, Labels Him ‘Fool’ for Abandoning Military Gear in Afghanistan

President Donald Trump revealed that he and Gen. Mark Milley, the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, had a disagreement regarding the military equipment left in Afghanistan when the US withdrew its troops in 2021.

Trump, who has long advocated for retrieving the billions of dollars’ worth of equipment abandoned in Afghanistan, mentioned that Milley had contended it was more cost-effective to leave the equipment behind.

“That’s when I realized he wasn’t very smart,” Trump remarked during a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday. “It didn’t take long to see that. They abandoned all that equipment. But even worse, they left their pride behind. In my view, it was the most humiliating moment in our nation’s history. Not because we left—we never should have been there—but because of the disgraceful manner in which we departed, marked by great shame and loss of life.”

Milley, who is now retired, did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Fox News Digital. 

The Taliban seized nearly all of the more than $7 billion worth of equipment US troops left in Afghanistan during the withdrawal process, according to a 2022 Department of Defense report.

While US troops removed or destroyed most of the major equipment, there were aircraft, ground vehicles and other weapons were left in Afghanistan. The condition of these items remains unknown, but the Pentagon said in the report the equipment likely would fail operationally without maintenance from US contractors. 

In 2021, then-President Joe Biden signed off on pulling US troops from Afghanistan, following up on existing plans from the first Trump administration in 2020 with Taliban leaders to end the conflict. 

However, Biden bore the brunt of criticism for the withdrawal after the Taliban rapidly took over Afghanistan again, and more than a dozen US service members died supporting evacuation efforts. 


Every morning, the NY POSTcast offers a deep dive into the headlines with the Post’s signature mix of politics, business, pop culture, true crime and everything in between. Subscribe here!


Thirteen US service members were killed during the withdrawal process due to a suicide bombing at Abbey Gate, outside the then-Hamid Karzai International Airport, as the Taliban gained control of Kabul.

Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth announced in May that he had instructed the Pentagon to launch a comprehensive review of the US withdrawal to provide a more comprehensive evaluation of the event and to hold those responsible accountable. 

“The Department of Defense has an obligation, both to the American people and to the warfighters who sacrificed their youth in Afghanistan, to get to the facts,” Hegseth said in a memo in May. “This remains an important step toward regaining faith and trust with the American people and all those who wear the uniform and is prudent based on the number of casualties and equipment lost during the execution of this withdrawal operation.” 

Milley previously told lawmakers on the House Foreign Affairs Committee in March 2024 that he and the commander of US Central Command at the time of the withdrawal, Marine Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., both advised Biden to keep some US troops in Afghanistan after pulling most US. forces. 

“The outcome in Afghanistan was the result of many decisions from many years of war,” Milley told lawmakers. “Like any complex phenomena, there was no single causal factor that determined the outcome.”

This is a breaking news story and will be updated. 

You May Also Like

Better Home & Finance CEO Vishal Garg, Known for 900-Person Zoom Layoff, Seeks Return to Top Job - Internewscast Journal

Better Home & Finance CEO Vishal Garg, Known for 900-Person Zoom Layoff, Seeks Return to Top Job

Vishal Garg says he feels betrayed. “He hoodwinked me,” the recently removed…
At Least 5 Dead in Indiana as Severe Weather Sweeps State - Internewscast Journal

At Least 5 Dead in Indiana as Severe Weather Sweeps State

At least five people have been killed after days of powerful storms…
Virginia State Shooting Suspect Found Hiding in Dorm Closet - Internewscast Journal

Virginia State Shooting Suspect Found Hiding in Dorm Closet

Virginia authorities have arrested a 19-year-old man in connection with a mass…
Iran calls on Houthis to prepare to cut off Red Sea gateway — can the terror group do it?

Houthi Attacks Turn Bab el-Mandeb Into Next Hormuz Flashpoint

A surge in attacks by Iran-backed Houthi fighters on vessels transiting the…
NYC Woman Dies After Being Struck by Stray Bullet - Internewscast Journal

NYC Woman Dies After Being Struck by Stray Bullet

A 33-year-old woman who police say was not involved in a Brooklyn…
California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra - Internewscast Journal

California Farmer Loses Court Fight With Fruit Giant Giumarra

A California farmer who drew nationwide attention for giving away thousands of…
Ex-Mamdani Staffer Sparks Fury With NYC Synagogue Attack Claim - Internewscast Journal

Ex-Mamdani Staffer Sparks Fury With NYC Synagogue Attack Claim

A co-founder of a prominent progressive digital video agency that produced online…
UC-Berkeley math prof forced to teach fractions because standards have fallen so far

UC Berkeley Math Professor Says Falling Standards Leave Him Teaching Fractions

A prominent University of California, Berkeley mathematics professor is criticizing the school’s…
Florida Man Accused of Stuffing Stepfather's Remains in Suitcases - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Stuffing Stepfather’s Remains in Suitcases

A Florida probationer is facing a first-degree murder charge after authorities say…
Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police

A messy neighborhood dispute in Florida appears to have gone far beyond…
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear Says Mitch McConnell Still Has Not Responded to Him - Internewscast Journal

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear Says Mitch McConnell Still Has Not Responded to Him

Washington — Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said Sunday that Sen. Mitch McConnell…
Kentucky Park Mass Shooting Kills 1, Wounds 4 in 24-Hour Wave - Internewscast Journal

Kentucky Park Mass Shooting Kills 1, Wounds 4 in 24-Hour Wave

One person was killed and four others were injured, including two children,…