Florida AG's order refusal 'quintessential contempt': Groups
Share this @internewscast.com

Left: U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement conducting a raid (Fox News/YouTube). Right: Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier (Office of Attorney General).

Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier praised the arrests of two immigrants who were detained after a federal judge had barred such actions, stating his support for initiatives to “address the illegal immigration crisis,” before later dropping the charges against them, as per court documents filed earlier this month.

“Florida law-enforcement officers continue to make numerous immigration-related arrests and detentions pursuant to their delegated authorizations under Section 287(g) agreements with the federal government,” Uthmeier wrote in a July 1 status report, issued as the AG began providing updates to U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams as a consequence for disregarding an injunction she issued in April and being held in contempt for doing so.

The arrests Uthmeier highlighted happened in late May.

The Section 287(g) agreements he mentioned are a reference to a section of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 (IIRIRA) that says U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is authorized to “delegate” to state and local law enforcement officers the “authority to perform specified immigration officer functions under the agency”s direction and oversight,” per the ICE website.

In his report, Uthmeier said the agreements grant state and local law enforcement agencies the “power and authority to arrest,” to “maintain custody,” to “interrogate,” and “prepare charging documents” for undocumented immigrants based on “violations of federal immigration law,” according to the July 1 filing, which cited the IIRIRA. “The Attorney General supports those efforts to tackle the illegal immigration crisis and expects all state and local jurisdictions — as state law requires — to ‘use best efforts to support the enforcement of federal immigration law.'”

Uthmeier, a Republican, has openly said he doesn’t believe Williams’ injunction was “legitimate,” which landed him in hot water with the Barack Obama appointee earlier this year after Uthmeier claimed he did not have the power to enforce her order.

Williams sided with the plaintiffs in the immigration law case — the Florida Immigrant Coalition and the Farmworker Association of Florida — on April 4 and granted the temporary restraining order and injunction they requested, blocking enforcement of SB 4-C, which makes it a misdemeanor to be in the U.S. illegally. Williams said she was persuaded by the argument that SB 4-C amounted to an unconstitutional state assertion of immigration enforcement powers that ultimately belong to the federal government.

The immigrants who were arrested in late May, Alejandro Perez and Juan Miguel Aguilar, were taken into custody by deputies in St. Johns County. Uthmeier said in his report that he became aware of the two cases at the end of June after his office began asking for information from state and local law enforcement to update Williams as part of his contempt requirements. Uthmeier has been tasked with filing bimonthly reports about whether arrests are happening.

“Mr. Perez was arrested on May 29, 2025, by the St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office on one count of illegal entry.” Uthmeier wrote in his July 1 report. “He had an active immigration detainer from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and was released on recognizance by the trial court on June 10.”

For Aguilar, Uthmeier said he was also arrested on May 29 and charged with one count of illegal entry and one count of driving without a valid driver’s license. He wound up confessing in court, according to the AG’s office.

“At the first appearance, Mr. Aguilar pleaded guilty to the charges,” Uthmeier said. “The trial court sentenced Mr. Aguilar to 3 days’ imprisonment in county jail for each charge, to run concurrently. No information was filed by the state attorney’s office against Mr. Aguilar.”

R.J. Larizza, state attorney for Florida’s 7th Judicial Circuit, filed a notice with the court on July 3 saying “corrective action” had been taken in both cases “in concurrence with the suggestion from Attorney General James Uthmeier.”

“In one case, involving a pending criminal charge for illegal entry against Mr. Alejandro Perez, our office has filed an intention of no information, thus dismissing the case,” Larizza said. “In the other case, involving a conviction for driving without a license and for illegal entry against Mr. Juan Miguel Aguilar, our office has filed a motion to vacate the charge for illegal entry that the trial court granted.”

The AG’s office did not respond to Law&Crime’s request for comment Thursday.

On Wednesday, Uthmeier filed a federal notice of appeal in the Southern District of Florida that said he would be taking Williams’ contempt order up with the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals again after an earlier bid failed and got shot down by the U.S. Supreme Court. The move came as Uthmeier was also busy this week filing a lawsuit against a Volusia County homeowner who sued his neighbors over their pro-Trump signs in their yard.

“Using lawfare to retaliate against political speech is wrong and unlawful,” Uthmeier wrote in a statement Wednesday. “These homeowners should be free to support President Trump without fear, and we will protect their right to do so.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Chaos in Sydney’s Far West: Gunfire Erupts and Car Blaze Sparks Police Investigation

An active police investigation has been launched following shots fired at a…

Teenager Critically Injured in Stabbing Incident at Melbourne-Area Shopping Center

A teenage boy has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after…

Unmatched DNA on Guthrie Glove: Investigators Stumped as Database Yields No Leads

Investigators have discovered DNA on a pair of gloves found approximately 1.5…

Mother Faces Charges After Young Daughter Found Living in Squalid Conditions, Police Report

Background: The intersection of Northwest Fourth Avenue and Northwest Eighth Street in…

Security Footage Contradicts Teen’s Story: Intentional Shooting of 42-Year-Old Caught on Camera

In Charleston, West Virginia, the trial of a teenager accused of a…

Individual Accused of Making Death Threats Against Treasurer Jim Chalmers

A 55-year-old man has been taken into custody following a search of…

Shocking Court Revelations: Man Assaults Ex-Girlfriend Inside F-150, Threatening Her Life

Inset: Jack Waldrop (Kennewick Police Department). Background: The area near the Kennewick…

Global Search Initiated for Missing Nancy Guthrie

The investigation into the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie has now extended beyond…

Tragic Incident: Mother Charged with Manslaughter Following Fatal Accident Involving Her Young Children

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Christina Shantell Gordan, a 29-year-old woman, faces…

Shocking Airport Discovery Leads to Australian Man’s Arrest on Child Sex Charges

A Queensland man has appeared in court after allegedly offering $700 to…

Heartbreaking Abandonment: Newborn Left to Die in Grocery Bag Sparks Outrage and Awareness

Inset: Pamela Ferreyra (Monterey County District Attorney’s Office). Background: The area where…

Intoxicated Pediatric Dentist Puts Young Patient at Risk During Surgery, Police Report

Inset: Kelly Buck (Grayson County Sheriff”s Office). Background: A medical strip mall…