Hero National Guardsman filmed taking down DC shooter

In a dramatic scene, a National Guardsman heroically intervened, taking down a suspected terrorist, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, in Washington D.C. just moments after the suspect allegedly targeted two soldiers.

The soldier, who has not been publicly named, responded swiftly with five shots right after Lakanwal, 29, reportedly launched a surprise attack on Andrew Wolfe, 24, and Sarah Backstrom, 20. Tragically, Backstrom succumbed to her injuries.

A bystander managed to capture the incident on video, which shows Lakanwal holding a snub-nosed revolver before he is seen lying on the ground moments after the gunfire exchange.

Currently, Lakanwal is in custody and receiving medical care for non-life-threatening injuries sustained during the encounter.

Speaking on Thursday, DC US Attorney Jeanine Pirro described the incident, stating that the attacker, armed with a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver, allegedly opened fire on the soldiers “without provocation, in an ambush style.”

Pirro further detailed the assault, explaining, “One guardsman was hit and fell, at which point the shooter leaned over and struck him again. Another guardsman was hit multiple times.”

‘Fellow guardsmen who were there responded immediately, engaging the suspect, neutralizing the threat and subduing him at the scene.’

Donald Trump announced the death of Backstrom on Thursday evening, saying she tragically succumbed to her injuries. 

The unidentified soldier let off five rounds immediately after Lakanwal, 29, is said to have ambushed Andrew Wolfe, 24, and Sarah Backstrom, 20

The unidentified soldier let off five rounds immediately after Lakanwal, 29, is said to have ambushed Andrew Wolfe, 24, and Sarah Backstrom, 20

DC US Attorney Jeanine Pirro said on Thursday that the lone gunman was armed with a .357 Smith and Wesson revolver when he allegedly opened fire

DC US Attorney Jeanine Pirro said on Thursday that the lone gunman was armed with a .357 Smith and Wesson revolver when he allegedly opened fire

Andrew Wolfe was identified as one of the National Guardsmen shot on Wednesday

Sarah Backstrom is the other victim. Both had been sworn in 24 hours prior to the attack

Wolfe, left, and Backstrom, right, were said to have been sworn in just 24 hours before they were shot on Wednesday, Backstrom died from her injuries on Thursday evening 

‘She’s no longer with us. She’s looking down on us right now. Her parents are with her. It’s just happened. She was savagely attacked, she’s dead.’

Trump went on to say Beckstrom was ‘an incredible person. Outstanding in every single way, department.  ‘Just horrible,’ he added. 

Afghan soldier Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, was named as the alleged gunman

Afghan soldier Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, was named as the alleged gunman 

According to authorities, Lakanwal drove across the country from his home in Bellingham, Washington, to DC before he fired at the troops. 

He was brought to the United States in 2021 as part of former President Joe Biden’s Operation Allies Welcome when he withdrew from Afghanistan. 

The program evacuated and resettled tens of thousands of Afghans after the U.S. withdrawal.

Prior to his arrival, the suspect worked with the US, including the CIA, ‘as a member of a partner force in Kandahar,’ John Ratcliffe, the spy agency’s director said.

He did not specify what work Lakanwal did, but said the relationship ‘ended shortly following the chaotic evacuation’ of U.S. service members from Afghanistan. 

The two victims were on the ground inside the city as part of Donald Trump’s ongoing effort to clean up the streets of D.C. 

Sarah is seen here alongside her father Gary in an image shared to social media

Sarah is seen here alongside her father Gary in an image shared to social media 

Following the shooting, the president’s administration quickly ordered 500 more National Guard members to the city. 

On Thursday, Trump announced he would ‘permanently pause migration’ from third world countries and ordered a green card audit of 19 nations in response to the attack.

He also vowed to end all federal benefits for noncitizens, denaturalize migrants who undermine the U.S., and deport any foreign nationals deemed a security risk or ‘non-compatible with Western Civilization.’

‘I will permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries to allow the U.S. system to fully recover,’ he wrote on Truth Social.

Pirro said the suspect remains under heavy guard inside a hospital following the shooting.  

He currently faces charges of assault with intent to kill while armed and in possession of a firearm during a crime of violence. 

Pirro said during the press conference that ‘it’s too soon to say’ what the suspect’s motives were. 

She added: ‘We are praying that they survive and that the highest charge will not have to be murder in the first degree. 

‘But make no mistake, if they do not, that will certainly be the charge.’

You May Also Like

Davina McCall Completes Nightmare Home Renovation at Last

For Davina McCall, ending her marriage to second husband Matthew Robertson in…

How a Teen TikTok Star’s Fame Drove Her Father to Murder

In the predawn darkness of July 10, 2021, a deafening blast jolted…

Expert Tips to Keep Your Garden Thriving During a Drought

Daily Mail journalists select and curate the products that feature on our…

Penn State Cocaine Ring: 13 Frat Members Charged, NY Student Accused as Leader

Prosecutors say more than a dozen Penn State fraternity members and associates…

Nancy Mace Reveals All Nine Tattoos—and Trump’s Reaction

Outgoing Republican Rep. Nancy Mace has set social media buzzing after showing…

Wladimir Klitschko Breaks Silence After Death of Hayden Panettiere’s Brother Jansen

Wladimir Klitschko, the former fiancé of Hayden Panettiere, has broken his silence…

Hayden Panettiere’s Heartbreaks and Personal Struggles in the Spotlight

Claims circulating online about Hayden Panettiere’s death have sparked alarm among fans,…

Barefoot Long Island Runner John Mazzei Conquers Six Marathons

It’s one way to stay light on his feet. A Long Island…

Lindsay Clancy’s Mother Testifies in Emotional Murder Trial

Lindsay Clancy became visibly emotional in court, wiping away tears as her…

FBI: Fang Fang Sought Illegal Donations for Swalwell Campaign

WASHINGTON — An FBI investigation that ran for three years into then-Rep.…

Alaska Runner Shares Harrowing Bear Attack Survival Story

Professional trail runner Klaire Rhodes has recounted the frightening moments after she…

Nancy Mace Fires Back at Online Backlash Over Tattooed Arms

Outgoing Republican Rep. Nancy Mace pushed back after a wave of media…