Share this @internewscast.com

Warning: This article contains distressing content and mentions the names of deceased Aboriginal individuals.

A 25-year-old man who referred to his Aboriginal victims as “dogs” and an “oxygen thief” has had his home detention sentence extended to two years following an appeal.

Originally in September, Jake Phillip Danby, then aged 24, was sentenced by the Northern Territory Supreme Court to five months of home detention along with a 12-month community corrections order.

Danby admitted guilt to charges involving failing to stop his car at the scene after hitting two Aboriginal pedestrians in Darwin’s northern suburbs in June 2024, then fleeing. This incident resulted in a fatality.

A 39-year-old man, referred to as ‘Mr Whitehurst’ for cultural sensitivity, succumbed to his injuries at Royal Darwin Hospital when his family made the heart-wrenching decision to withdraw life support.

The Northern Territory’s Court of Criminal Appeal, in a judgment released on Friday, noted that the current offence does “not involve criminal liability for causing the death of the individual.”

The incident was captured on CCTV, which shows bystanders rendering assistance and calling emergency services.

NT prosecutors filed an appeal after the sentence last year, following public outcry, saying the original 12-month community corrections order was “manifestly inadequate”.

Three judges from the Court of Criminal Appeal in Darwin on Friday upheld the application and increased Danby’s home detention period from five months to two years under an extended community corrections order.

That means Danby will now return to home detention. Delivering their decision, Chief Justice Michael Grant said Danby was also required to wear an electronic monitoring device.

The prosecution argued on appeal on 11 December that the text messages elevated Danby’s crime to the aggravated level.

Prosecutor Pat Williams said a jail term of more than two years was required, given the seriousness of the offending and public expectations.

The lack of jail time triggered outrage from the victim’s family and wider First Nations communities in September, who say it was inconsistent with the “tough on crime” approach of the Country Liberal Party government.

Matthew Connop, the deputy chief executive officer of the North Australia Aboriginal Justice Agency (NAAJA), told SBS News in September 2025 that Danby’s text messages were shocking and racist.

“In terms of this case, it demonstrates the broader systemic issues that exist in the Northern Territory. You look at the comments and the language used by the offender, the racist comments and dehumanising comments. It’s a total disregard for human life.

“NAAJA has been contacted by many Aboriginal people who have said that the sentence did not reflect the seriousness of the offending, nor did it value the life that was lost.”

JAKE DANBY CCTV Supplied NT Courts 2.PNG
The incident was captured on CCTV which shows bystanders rendering assistance and calling emergency services. Source: Supplied / NT Courts

Defence counsel Jon Tippett in December 2025 argued that the sentencing judge had taken note of Danby’s text messages and, while being appalled by them, gave them appropriate weight.

Tippett said Justice Sonia Brownhill had given his client a chance of rehabilitation and counselling, and he was abiding by his corrections order amid public condemnation of his actions.

Tippett also said in December 2025 that courts shouldn’t sentence people on the basis of their stupidity or vile comments.

Danby was not in court on Friday, and Tippett declined to comment on the revised sentence outside court.

In the judgement delivered on Friday the NT’s Criminal Court of Appeal further explained: “The sentencing Judge expressly acknowledged the vile and abhorrent nature of the respondent’s communications, but he did not stand to be sentenced on the basis that the collision with the victims was racially motivated.”

NT Attorney-General Marie-Clare Boothby also came under fire over the Danby case, accused of not reporting a conflict of interest after it emerged he was her sister’s stepson.

Boothby said in September 2025 that she never attempted to hide the fact Danby was an extended family member, and at no time was she or her office involved in the criminal matter.

— With additional reporting from the Australian Associated Press.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Guzman y Gomez hidden logo detail

Low Burrito Sales in Australia Lead to $200 Million Loss for Major Company

Guzman y Gomez, a well-known burrito chain, has taken a significant financial…
Lucy Hughes Pokemon card collector

Meet Lucy: The Pokémon Card Trader Surpassing Her 9-to-5 Income

Lucy Hughes has turned her nostalgic “hobby” into a six-figure salary. Hughes…
Prince Andrew arrives for the funeral of the Duchess of Kent at Westminster Cathedral in London, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025.

Ancient Law Resurfaces: The Legal Twist that Threatens Prince Andrew with a Life Sentence

However, the charge he was arrested on suspicion of, misconduct in public…
Posties told to stop wearing uniforms amid reports they're getting sunburnt

Postal Workers Advised to Ditch Uniforms Due to Sunburn Concerns

Australia Post has advised its postal workers to refrain from wearing their…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…
Huge chunk of Central Australia to receive drenching

Central Australia Set for Major Downpour: What This Means for the Region

Central Australia is bracing for potential isolation due to an impending deluge…

Possum Alert: The Unseen Indicator of Australia’s Looming Extinction Crisis

In Brief The lemuroid ringtail possum is one of 34 species that…
Former MP on trial for alleged child abuse in car park bathroom

Ex-MP Faces Court Over Shocking Child Abuse Allegations in Car Park Restroom

A former politician accused of sexually abusing a young teen in a…

UN Unveils Disturbing Evidence: Genocidal Atrocities Surface in Sudan

In brief The mission warned that “urgent protection of civilians is needed,…

Tragic California Avalanche Claims Eight Lives, One Skier Still Unaccounted For

In brief The avalanche swept the Castle Peak area of Truckee, California,…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…
'No justice': Hit-run victim's family slam punishment

Outrage Over Lenient Sentence: Hit-and-Run Victim’s Family Demands Justice

WARNING: This article contains the names of deceased Indigenous people. The family…