Inset, left to right: Stephanie Woods and Cody Mercer (Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The Ohio area where authorities say they abused their 20-month-old daughter (Google Maps).
An Ohio mother and father are expected to serve less than a year in prison after admitting they starved and neglected their 20-month-old daughter, who was found severely malnourished, dehydrated, weighing only 13 pounds, and suffering from bedsores so serious that surgery was needed.
Stephanie Woods, 36, and Cody Mercer, 34, appeared Monday in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court, where each pleaded guilty to one count of endangering children tied to the abuse, court records show.
Under plea deals reached with prosecutors, both defendants agreed to nine-month prison terms, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported. As part of the agreements, prosecutors dropped two additional child endangerment counts.
Hamilton County Assistant Prosecutor Elyse Deters said during the plea hearing that the girl had spent a “significant amount of time” hospitalized after birth because of multiple medical issues before being released in May 2025, according to the Enquirer.
A court filing obtained by Law&Crime states that the child was taken back to the hospital in November 2025 after she developed a series of conditions authorities attributed to neglect.
“[The victim] was found severely malnourished, dehydrated, weighing 13 pounds, with bed sores all over her body — some of which are so severe they might require surgery — and an overall body temperature of 80 degrees when she was admitted to Children’s Hospital,” the filing said. “The victim is currently hospitalized and is expected to remain there for an extended period.”
The toddler’s feeding tube had also reportedly become blocked.
During Monday’s hearing, Mercer’s attorney, Bradley Fox, acknowledged that his client knew the family home was “in shambles” and that Woods’ mental health problems were interfering with her ability to care for their daughter. Despite knowing how dire the situation was, Mercer chose to stay out of the home.
“He wasn’t doing what he was supposed to do as a parent,” Fox reportedly told the court.
Woods’ attorney, Clyde Bennett II, said she and her family were “very pleased with the plea offer to resolve the case.” He told the court she had been diagnosed with major depressive disorder after her arrest and was undergoing treatment.
Although there was “overwhelming evidence of guilt and serious, near-fatal injuries to an infant, my client was offered a very fair plea,” Bennett reportedly said.
The victim has been in the care of a family member since her parents were arrested and a judge issued a no-contact order.
Woods and Mercer are scheduled to appear before Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Wende Cross for their sentencing hearing Sept. 9, records show.
The post Parents starved, neglected toddler found with 80-degree body temp and bedsores requiring surgery first appeared on Law & Crime.