Three members of one family, including a teenage girl, have died after being pulled from the sea at a British coastal town, while a younger girl remains in critical condition.
Emergency crews, including ambulances, two helicopters and coastguard teams, were called to Shoreham-by-Sea in West Sussex at around 3pm after fishermen reported seeing four people in difficulty in the water.
Sussex Police confirmed on Monday night that a man, a woman and a teenage girl had died. A fourth person, described as a younger girl, was taken to hospital in a critical condition. Police said all four were members of the same family.
One witness said two children first got into trouble in the water before their parents went in after them. A fisherman is believed to have managed to pull one of the children from the sea before raising the alarm.
The family has not yet been publicly named.
At a press conference on Monday night, Chief Superintendent James Collis said the coastguard was not searching for any further people.
In a statement, Sussex Police said: “Tragically, despite the best efforts of paramedics, three people, a man, a woman, and a teenage girl, were sadly confirmed deceased.
“A younger girl has been taken to hospital and is in critical condition. We can confirm, all four people were from the same family, and their next of kin had been informed.”
‘Specialist officers are supporting them at this incredibly difficult time, and our thoughts are with their family and friends.’
An investigation has been launched to understand the circumstances surrounding the tragedy.
‘At this point, we believe all four entered the water from the land for a swim, and sadly, got into difficulty,’ the force added.

Three members of the same family have died after getting into difficulty in the water at Shoreham-by-Sea earlier today

Police and ambulances rushed to the scene in West Sussex shortly after 3pm

Two air ambulances were seen landing on the shore

Witnesses reported that fishermen first reported that four people had got into difficulty in the water

Chief Superintendent James Collis said the family had entered the water for a swim before getting into difficulty
Pictures from the Shoreham seaside showed a huge emergency service response to the incident as eight ambulances parked on the shore beside helicopters.
Emergency services remained at the scene, around a 20 minute drive from Brighton, for hours after their 3pm arrival. A police cordon was eventually removed shortly before 9pm.
Road closures had been put in place nearby with the A259 Brighton Road, which runs alongside the beach, blocked in both directions from New Road to Kingston Lane.
Gary and Victoria Flint had taken their children to the beach for the day. Victoria, from Horsham, said: ‘We arrived at about three and soon after we heard the siren for the lifeboat.
‘We watched it launch then about 20 mins later, it came back. Ambulances started arriving – more and more of them – then the air ambulances started.’
Earlier today, eyewitnesses reported seeing police officers carrying evidence bags on the shore containing what appeared to be children’s clothing.
One told ITV News: ‘I was up near the Coastguard tower when I saw two police officers come past me holding evidence bags after they looked to be going through belongings of, presumably, those who were involved in the incident.
‘The evidence bags did contain what appeared to be younger child’s clothing and other assorted items, and from that, I presume children were involved.’
MP for East Worthing and Shoreham Tom Rutland said tonight: ‘I am deeply saddened by the tragic news that three people have died following an incident in the water near Shoreham Fort this afternoon.
‘I spoke earlier with Sussex Police and Shoreham RNLI and have been briefed on the response by the emergency services.
‘My thoughts are with the family and friends of those who have lost their lives, and I know the whole community here in Shoreham will be hoping and praying for the recovery of the young girl receiving medical treatment in hospital.’
A spokesman from the RNLI said lifeboat crews were launched at around 2.50pm this afternoon.
Two other lifeboats were also launched from the Brighton lifeboat station shortly after 3pm.
The coastguard, meanwhile, said ‘it responded to an incident reported at Shoreham at about 2.45pm’.
They added: ‘An HM Coastguard helicopter was sent as well as Littlehampton, Shoreham and Newhaven Coastguard Rescue Teams, and an RNLI lifeboat from Shoreham.’