Man Shot Dead Hours After Meeting Mystery Woman at Club - Internewscast Journal
Man Shot Dead Hours After Meeting Mystery Woman at Club

Steven Carden and Thomas Smith set out expecting a lively night out. But by daybreak, their evening had spiraled into horror: one man was badly beaten and bleeding, and the other had been killed.

The night ended violently outside an apartment complex in Norcross, Georgia. When police arrived, they discovered Carden on the ground in a pool of blood with a gunshot wound to his head. Nearby, Smith sat on the curb, conscious but confused, speaking incoherently and repeatedly referencing a woman.

Investigators initially had few answers. Still, the shooter left one critical piece of evidence behind: a single .40-caliber shell casing from a semiautomatic handgun.

“It was a little unusual under the circumstances,” former Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said in the Aug. 22 episode of Oxygen’s The Real Murders of Atlanta. “Hornady makes high-quality bullets and it’s clear that whoever killed this…young man…they wanted that gun to work.”

What Happened to Steven Carden?  

Detectives later spoke with Smith at the hospital as he was being treated for blunt force injuries. Though shaken and hurt, he was able to help authorities reconstruct the events leading up to the July 29 shooting.

Earlier that night, the two friends had gone to a bar carrying $4,000 in cash. While there, Carden struck up a conversation with a woman and made plans to meet her later at an apartment complex.

As Smith drove, the woman sent Carden directions by text. At one point, Smith forgot to switch on the headlights, prompting police to pull them over. An officer searched the vehicle but found nothing illegal — a fact Gwinnett County Homicide Detective Matthew Kenck later said “becomes important later.”

Smith was not drunk, but the officer still conducted a field sobriety test. When the results proved inconclusive, the officer took the car keys and instructed the men to find another way to get where they were going.

 

Carden and Smith were already within walking distance of the apartment, so the woman guided them along a route through a wooded trail and past an area with dumpsters.  

But the friends realized they weren’t alone.  

“They see that two men are following them,” reporter Tara Lombardo said. “They become increasingly scared and uneasy.”  

The men eventually caught up with Smith and Carden and attacked. Smith said he tried to fight back but lost consciousness. When he woke, their $4,000 was gone and he was surrounded by first responders.   

When detectives spoke to Carden’s family, they described him as a wonderful father and couldn’t think of anyone who wanted him dead.  

Had Carden been duped into a deadly trap?  

Carden’s phone records showed that the woman had used a prepaid burner phone, which can be difficult to trace. Still, the phone held messages about moving guns and mentioned an address in Snellville.  

That address was linked to an attempted robbery by a teenage suspect who had used a .40-caliber gun loaded with Hornady ammunition. When detectives compared the gun with the shell casing recovered at Carden’s crime scene, it was a ballistic match.  

The teen admitted to the attempted robbery—and said he bought the gun from a man named Jovian Lanus

Jovian Lanus, Tyler Estrada and Diara Hood Become Suspects in Steven Carden’s Murder

Social media photos of Lanus matched Smith’s physical description of one of the suspects, but that wasn’t enough to tie him to Carden’s murder.

That is, until another violent crime surfaced. 

A woman and two men had recently attempted to rob a landlord, and, during a struggle, the woman fired a warning shot, leaving behind a now-familiar piece of evidence: a .40-caliber Hornady shell casing identical to the one found at Carden’s crime scene.  

“This is a huge connection for us,” noted Kenck. “But we still have a lot of holes in our case.” 

Two of the suspects—Tyler Estrada, 18, and Diara Hood, 22—were in custody, and detectives wasted no time questioning them.  

Hood told police that she recalled meeting Smith and Carden but denied involvement in the murder.  

“They were talking about partying and stuff like that,” she claimed in a recorded interview. “What they really wanted was sex. They were supposed to meet me, but they never showed up.” 

Detectives knew Hood’s story wasn’t that simple. 

Phone data showed that each time Hood communicated with Carden, she immediately contacted Estrada or Lanus. Then, social media photos showed Hood, Estrada and Lanus posing with guns. One posted the night before the murder depicted Hood and Estrada at a club next to the one that Carden and Smith had visited.  

Eventually, Hood opened up.   

She claimed she had been giving Carden directions in the apartment while Estrada and Lanus were there. After the men left, she said, she stayed on the phone with Carden until she heard a commotion on the other end of the call and it suddenly disconnected. Moments later, she heard a gunshot. 

Hood said Estrada and Lanus must have overheard her conversation and decided to attack the men. 

Then, it was Estrada’s turn.  

He confirmed to investigators that he and Lanus had intercepted Smith and Carden to rob them—but claimed the plan was Hood’s idea. Estrada said Lanus assaulted one of the men and as he headed back to the apartment, he heard a gunshot. 

As police prepared to arrest Lanus, Estrada offered a warning. 

“He said to expect resistance,” said Kenck, “that the doors were probably barricaded. Based on that, we get the SWAT team involved.” 

On Nov. 8, 2013, authorities surrounded Lanus’ home and he surrendered. 

Once in custody, Lanus claimed Carden had pulled a gun on him, forcing him to shoot in self-defense. 

“This goes back to the traffic stop,” said Kenck. “We know he didn’t have a gun on him. In such a strange twist of events, that traffic stop helps prove there was never any evidence of a gun.”  

Lanus, Hood and Estrada were charged with murder. 

In Nov. 2015, Hood went to trial and was found guilty of murder and aggravated assault. 

Lanus’ case took an unexpected turn. 

While prosecutors played a recording of his police interrogation, he leaned over to consult with his attorney. 

“Jovian paused the trial and he pled guilty,” Kenck said. “He knew there was no beating it.”  

Meanwhile, Estrada pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and was sentenced to 25 years in prison. 

Lanus and Hood were sentenced to life without parole.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Cottage Cheese Is Back: Can This ’80s Staple Aid Weight Loss?

Cottage cheese, once shorthand for joyless 1980s dieting, is enjoying an unexpectedly…

Small Plane Plunges Into Ocean as Florida Beachgoers Watch

A small aircraft plunged into the Atlantic Ocean just off one of…

Zelensky Says Putin Plans to Draft 300,000 More Troops for Ukraine War

Ukraine believes the Kremlin is preparing to conscript another 300,000 soldiers for…

Hunter Biden Stunned by Bill Maher’s Blunt Iran Warning

Bill Maher sharply cut in as Hunter Biden weighed in on the…

17-Year-Old Girl Identified as Victim in Swedish School Sword Attack

Police in Sweden said Saturday that the victim killed in a sword…

Buc-ee’s Opens Massive New Store as Hundreds Camp Overnight for Grand Opening

Buc-ee’s has made its long-awaited debut in Arkansas, and its most devoted…

Bunny Levine, Gilmore Girls and La La Land Actress, Dies at 97

Bunny Levine, the veteran actress recognized by audiences for appearances in Gilmore…

YouTube Golf Stars Apologize After Backlash Over Tone-Deaf Ad

YouTube golf group Good Good has apologized and removed a new Callaway…

Harvard Professors Use AI Clones to Teach $699 Startup Course

Harvard University is selling a $699 entrepreneurship course that uses AI agents…

Karoline Leavitt Reveals Her Next Big MAGA World Role

Karoline Leavitt has confirmed she is moving into a new role with…

Mother Outraged After Son’s Organs Were Donated to Argentina Without Consent

An Ohio mother says she is outraged after learning that organs and…

Camilla’s Gesture to Prince Harry May Ease Sussexes’ Concerns, Bower Says

Six years after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left Britain in pursuit…