Share this @internewscast.com

A Michigan judge on Friday denied a defense request to lower the bonds for the parents of accused school shooter Ethan Crumbley after prosecutors alleged in court that James and Jennifer Crumbley had “drained” their own son’s bank account and fled Oxford for an abandoned building in Detroit on the day they were supposed to surrender to authorities.

Oakland County prosecutors also reiterated arguments made in December in their response to the Crumbleys’ motion to reduce their bonds, stressing that the parents ignored obvious signs their son was “gravely troubled” for months before the November 30 shooting that left four Oxford High School students dead and seven other people, including a teacher, wounded.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley faces four counts of murder, one count of terrorism causing death, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and 12 counts of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. His parents have been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter for the deaths of Hana St. Juliana, 14; Madisyn Baldwin, 17; Tate Myre, 16; and Justin Shilling, 17.

Defense attorneys Mariell Lehman and Shannon Smith, who previously represented convicted child molester and former USA Gymnastics coach Larry Nasser, filed last month to lower the Crumbleys’ bonds to $100,000 from $500,000. During court on Friday, Lehman objected to prosecutors’ mention of Jennifer Crumbley’s alleged extramarital affair in their response to that motion, the Detroit News reported.

The attorneys also said Friday the Crumbleys were willing to wear GPS tethers if they were released on bond, were unlikely to flee because they have strong ties to the community, and were absolutely not negligent with the gun they bought their son as an early Christmas present — the gun he allegedly used in the mass shooting at his high school.

Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald noted that the Crumbleys, who had been staying at a hotel across the street from the police department after the shooting, checked out the day they had reportedly agreed to turn themselves in, leaving one of their cars in the hotel parking lot. When they were arrested days later at an art studio in Detroit — after a witness spotted them and reported it — they had $6,600 in cash on them, along with 10 credit cards and four cell phones, according to McDonald. And, she said, they had cleared Ethan’s bank account of $3,000, leaving 99 cents in it.

“These are not the actions of people who are trying to turn themselves in,” McDonald said.

Assistant Prosecutor Mark Keast addressed defense arguments that prosecutors would have a hard time convicting the Crumbleys. He pointed out that their son was “gravely troubled and fascinated with firearms,” filling a notepad with drawings of guns.

“He displayed terrifying tendencies and behaviors, and he literally sketched out what he planned to do in his journal in his drawings,” Keast said.

Prosecutors released the drawing that prompted school officials to call in Ethan’s parents on the morning of the shooting — a worksheet of match homework. A teacher snapped a picture of the page they saw — with a gun and a bullet; the phrases “the thoughts won’t stop help me,” “blood everywhere,” “my life is useless,” and “the world is dead;” and a bloody human. But Ethan apparently changed the drawing before his parents arrived for the meeting with school officials: The gun and the bloody human were marked out, as were the words “blood everywhere,” “my life is useless,” “help me,” and “the world is dead.” New phrases were written on the page: “RMX 808,” “video game this is,” “harmless act,” “we’re all friends here,” “OHS rocks!” and “I love my life so much!!!!”

Keast said that school officials feared Ethan was having suicidal ideations and recommended he have therapy.

“They resisted, asserting that they couldn’t possibly take him out of school because of work,” Keast said.

Keast also told the court that cellphone evidence had revealed Ethan texted his parents last spring about having seen a ghost or demon at their house when he was home alone and that two months later, he filmed himself “torturing and killing animals at the family home.”

“Cellphone extraction also revealed that he searched school shootings and firearms so often on his phone that he received spam advertisements regarding his mental well-being,” Keast said.

All of these incidents, Keast argued, should have been noted by parents were were paying attention to their child.

The Crumbleys are due in court again on February 8 for a preliminary hearing, according to WJBK.

Ethan Crumbley had originally been scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Friday, but he waived it to send his case straight to trial, the station said.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast

Source: This post first appeared on https://www.crimeonline.com/feed/

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Adelaide Stabbing Leaves Man in Critical Condition: Police Investigate

A 32-year-old man is in critical condition following an alleged stabbing incident…

Tragic Loss: Pregnant Woman’s Life Taken in Brutal Attack by Unknown Assailants

Top inset: Erica Bader (Quinn Funeral Home). Bottom insets, left to right:…

Mother Allegedly Strikes Teenage Daughter Due to ‘Poor Attitude,’ Authorities Report

Background: The 26000 block of SW 135th Ave., Miami, Fla. (Google Maps).…

Virginia Football Coach on the Run: Facing Child Sex Abuse Charges and Armed

A Virginia high school football coach, who is facing charges related to…

Family Dispute Turns Tragic: Brother Fatally Shoots Sibling After Altercation

Left inset: Jerome Curry (St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office). Right inset: Terrence…

Authorities Report: Man Allegedly Killed Girlfriend After Claiming She Was Detained by ICE

Background: The canal in Miami, Forida, where the body of Nerida Martel…

Tragic Lunchtime Accident: Woman Fatally Struck While Crossing Street

Share In a tragic incident on Thanksgiving Day, a Pennsylvania woman was…

Teen and Mother Charged in Fatal Assault on 71-Year-Old Department of Transportation Worker: Police Report

Background: The street where Gregory Turnipseed was attacked (WBAL). Inset: Gregory Turnipseed…

Probation Violation: Man Arrested with 125 Grams of Marijuana Sparks Legal Controversy

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – In the early hours today, authorities apprehended…

Netanyahu Seeks Contentious Corruption Pardon, Declaring It ‘Impossible

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked the country’s president to grant…

Remains Identified as Missing Pregnant Woman Rebecca Park; Search Continues for Unborn Child

The remains of a missing pregnant woman, Rebecca Park, have been discovered…

Shocking Incident: Child Hospitalized After Alleged Abuse During Diaper Change—Police Investigate

Share A troubling incident in Kentucky has led to the arrest of…