Families demand answers after children, 12 and 15, killed in machete attack

Dau Akueng, 15, and Chol Achiek, 12, were walking from a bus stop in Cobblebank with a third friend just before 8pm when they were set upon by a group of up to eight masked people.

Police are now investigating if the teenagers were killed in a potential case of mistaken identity as the state government faces pressure to address the knife crime crisis gripping Victoria.

Dau Akueng, 15, (left) and 12-year-old Chol Achiek.
Dau Akueng, 15, (left) and Chol Achiek, 12. (9News)

Dau and Chol were found critically injured on the street about 200 metres apart in what police have described as having “the hallmarks of a youth gang crime”.

Victoria Police duty crime officer Graham Banks said the incident was “one of the most horrific crimes” and appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

Banks added that Chol and Dau were not gang members.

State opposition leader Brad Battin said the government needed drastic action to stamp out the crime wave.

“The government needs to come out with stronger action… not just media releases,” Battin said.

“This weekend alone we have seen three people killed on the streets in Victoria, that is not good enough.

“That’s not the Melbourne I grew up in, that’s not the Melbourne we have pride in.”

The deadly machete attack on Dau and Chol came just a week after Victoria enshrined a state-wide ban on the weapon.

Elbino Akueng, father of a 15-year-old boy who was stabbed to death in Melbourne overnight, has demanded answers about his son's death.
Dau’s father Elbino Akueng. (9News)
Scene of a murder in Marble drive in Cobblebank on Sunday 7 September 2025.
Dau and Chol were found critically injured on the street about 200 metres apart. (Luis Enrique Ascui)

“This is a basketball player, he’s not a criminal,” Dau’s father Elbino Akueng said yesterday.

“I’m talking on behalf of my community, this is happening to us.

“In the last month, we have buried four kids, similar incidents keep happening, but there’s no answer from police.”

Battin said “tougher action” was needed in the wake of Saturday’s incident.

“Enough is enough,” he added.

No arrests have been made.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

You May Also Like

Meijer Hostage Standoff: Dead Man’s Switch, Hypnotists Demanded

Inset: Anthony Lehman (Waukesha County Jail). Background: A Meijer store in Waukesha,…

Armed Gainesville Man Arrested in Domestic Injunction Violation

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 42-year-old Gainesville man, Reginald Tremaine Thomas,…

Former Employee Arrested for Alleged Restaurant Theft Case

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Richard David Hunnicutt Jr., 53, was arrested…

5-Year-Old Doing Homework Finds Dad’s Gun, Shoots Himself: Police

Background: The Memphis, Tennessee, home where authorities say the fatal shooting occurred…

Suit: Man Followed Woman in Dollar Tree, Attacked With Fluids

Dollar Tree stores nationwide have been cited in lawsuits as alleged targets…

Teen Allegedly Paid by Friend to Kill Friend’s Parents for Inheritance Must Face Jury

Insets, from left: Julio Zamora and Darren Munoz (Curry County Sheriff’s Office).…

Trump DOJ Cites James Comey Novel as It Argues Jury Should Decide If Seashells Were Coded Threat to Kill President

Main: Former FBI Director James Comey speaks at Harvard University’s Institute of…

White House Lawyer Opposes ABA Bid to Identify Advisers Behind Trump Law Firm Executive Orders

President Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting on Friday, July 31,…