NSW Premier invites legal challenge over Kathleen Folbigg's $2 million compensation

He said it was the maximum amount of public money the government could offer without pulling away from other initiatives and programs.

“It’s not my money, I don’t pull it out of my back pocket. It’s the taxpayers of New South Wales’ money, and it doesn’t come from a magic pot,” he told reporters today.

NSW Premier Chris Minns has defended his government's $2 million compensation offer to Kathleen Folbigg for her two decades of wrongful imprisonment, saying the money "doesn't come from a magic pot".
NSW Premier Chris Minns has defended his government’s $2 million compensation offer to Kathleen Folbigg. (Nine)

“We have to pull that money from other programs, from other initiatives.

“This was the most amount that we should justify, given it would come from other resources.”

Folbigg, once dubbed Australia’s worst female serial killer, had spent 20 years behind bars for the deaths of her four children between 1989 and 1999.

She was released in 2023 after her convictions were quashed.

She later made an application for an ex gratia payment — a voluntary payment without any legal obligation and typically made out of goodwill — for her wrongful imprisonment to avoid suing the state.

The matter was reviewed, and NSW Attorney-General Michael Daley granted her $2 million yesterday.

Kathleen Folbigg leaving Maitland Court in 2004.
Kathleen Folbigg was convicted in 2003 of the deaths of her four children. (Anita Jones/Nine)

Folbigg, through her lawyer, said the payment was “woefully inadequate and ethically indefensible” and called for an inquiry to understand how the government decided on the figure.

“The system has failed Kathleen Folbigg once again,” her solicitor Rhanee Rego said.

“Kathleen lost her four children; she lost 20 of the best years of her life; and she continues to feel the lasting effects of this ongoing trauma.

“The payment does not reflect the extent of the pain and suffering Kathleen has endured.”

Rego pointed to the case of Lindy Chamberlain, who received $1.7 million for the three years she spent behind bars after she was exonerated for the death of her baby in 1994.

But Minns said any previous and larger payments from the state have been a result of settlements from legal challenges.

Lawyer Rhanee Rego and Kathleen Folbigg Today Sept 2, 2024.
Solicitor Rhanee Rego and Kathleen Folbigg. (Today)

“This is an ex gratia payment, so we’re not compelled to do it,” he said.

“We’re not currently in litigation. If there were further litigation, we won’t take the $2 million off the table. We accept that this is an ex-gratia, non-conditional payment to Ms Folbigg.”

Minns then invited Folbigg’s legal team to take the state government to court.

“That lawyer is free to take the NSW government to court, to sue the NSW government, we would deal with it in those circumstances,” he said.

Folbigg’s “fight should be over”, Rego said.

”After being failed at her conviction and abused in prison, she is now being treated with contempt by the very system that should be making amends,” she said.

You May Also Like

Man Killed Ex’s Siblings, Partners as They Slept: DA

Clockwise from top left: Janvi Maquindang, Christine Aca-ac, Matthew Montebello, and Edwin…

Court Rejects Trump DOJ Tactics to Save Unlawfully Appointed Prosecutor

Left: Sigal Chattah, left, attorney for Guard the Constitution Project founder Shawn…

Gainesville Man Arrested After Prison Release in Relative Attack

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 54-year-old man who had been released…

Homeless Man Arrested After Allegedly Threatening to Kill Boyfriend With Rock

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 71-year-old Gainesville man, Joseph Ryan, was…

Police: Man Killed Girlfriend After She Returned From Hospital, Spoke With Grandmother

Left: Floyd Long (Mecklenburg County Jail). Right: Shaquina Harris (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department).…

Boy on Push Scooter Hit by Pickup and Left on Burning Asphalt as Mom Heard Screams, Family Says

Left inset: Ethan Turner (KSAZ/YouTube). Right inset: Glenn Noordhof (Pinal County Sheriff’s…

Police Say Vaping Dad Showed No Remorse After Infant Daughter Died While Left Alone for 43 Minutes

Inset: Celia Aurora Colby (Larkin Mortuary). Background: Murray Police Department in Utah…

Boy Found Wandering Park at Night Says He’s ‘Alone’ and ‘Scared’ After Mother Abandoned Him, Police Say

Inset: Elena Sexton (Miami-Dade County Corrections & Rehabilitation). Background: Town Center Park…